Cheapest way to get Nexus S off contract?

aaronchow#AC

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently locked to AT&T for at least a year and a half. I'm starting to learn about the various dev tools, but I don't want to commit too much money until I am advance enough to actually code an app. Does Google currently offers any developer discount? And does T-mobile offer any pre-paid or off-contract plans that has 3G access cheaply?

And if you've it off contract, how much are you paying monthly and how much did you pay for the phone? Thanks

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I paid full retail price for mine and it wasn't cheap. What you can do it get it at full retail price but get something like financing. Best buy offers like 6 months no interest oid paid full within 6 months. And T-mobile has even more plus plans which are no contract plans and cheaper. You can only get the even more plus plans if you go into a store or call tmobile. they have really good pricing on those plans. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
If your plan is to use it as a dev phone, why not just use your ATT sim in the phone? All Nexus phones are unlocked, so any SIM will work. Just buy the phone and use your current account until your contract is up.

You won't have 3G on ATT, of course, but you will still have Edge and WIFI available to you.

(And no, Google doesn't offer a dev discount that I can see. I dropped the $20 bucks to setup a dev account, but there's no discounted phones there).

If you know you will be staying with ATT, and you're not in a hurry, I'd give it a couple of more months to see if a Nexus S model comes to market with the ATT frequencies.

aaronchow#AC

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, guys. I currently have an iPhone 4, so I don't think the micro-sim will work on the Nexus S. I will go to Best Buy tomorrow and see if I can get the Even More Plus plan. I saw a thread saying I can get 500 minutes with 3G for as low as $55 per month. That plan seems to fit me the best.

BTW, anyone experiences with the Unity engine? I am kind of stuck now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci