NFC: Any place to use it yet?

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Nope. But if your credit cards have a "chip", you can play with them. (I believe the Chase and Bank of America cards do). Just wave the phone back and forth a few times and you should get an "Unknown Tag" to pop up.

Yeah, it's only fun for the first couple of times....

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Almost no area in North America is using NFC, its actually used often in Europe and Asia, its perfect if you live there. I think we will see a change,now that Samsung has just confirmed that the Galaxy S II have NFC in some of it's models, then maybe we might see people using it more often. plus keep in mind that Google still doesn't consider their NFC work done, they are releasing Android 2.3 3 soon, which adds more features with NFC.

Sent from my Nexus S

dadds27

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
the new blackberries and iphone 5 will also have one. i believe most new android phones by mid year should too thats when we will get more use!

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know of an android phone that is nfc ready besides the nexus s? Thanks.

Toshiba Regza T-01C
Sharp Lynx 3D SH-03C
Sharp IS03
Sharp IS05
Sharp IS06
and the list is slowly growing.

Although I doubt that their NFCs are compatible (yet) with what Google is doing, since these phones are on Android 2.1/2.2 .. and only in Japan hehe.

staedtler

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Transit agencies in the Greater Toronto Area have a Presto fare card which the NFC reader picks up, but it can't read any of the data on the card (I presume all of the data is encrypted). The Toronto Transit Commission has been reluctant to adopt Presto, because they wanted a more "future-proof" technology that could accommodate credit cards and cell phones (and because TTC management is notoriously stubborn), but there have been noises about Presto adopting those modes of payment in the future.

The Brampton, Ontario library system uses NFC for checking out books. Each book has an NFC sticker in it that is read by checkout machines, and the Nexus S can read it as well, but all you get is the library's unique ID number for the book. (I desperately want a Brampton Library app that scans the book and gives you info on due dates, pending holds, etc.)

Curiously, my tap-to-pay Visa card can not be read by my phone, but I've assumed it uses something other than NFC (like RFID maybe?).

staedtler

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
the new blackberries and iphone 5 will also have one. i believe most new android phones by mid year should too thats when we will get more use!

The Blackberry Bold 9900 has it. I noticed the telltale coil inside the battery cover, along with two metal contacts that connect to the inside back of the phone.