is this phone capable of getting a software upgrade so it can run on the HSPA+ network for tmo... or does it need new hardware...
    02-17-2011 01:03 AM
    is this phone capable of getting a software upgrade so it can run on the HSPA+ network for tmo... or does it need new hardware...
    It can only get 7.2, which is only HSDPA. But, you'll still get as high as 7 mbps, which is plenty.
    02-17-2011 03:10 AM
    While it doesn't have the HSPA+ radio, it does seem to benefit from T-Mo's HSPA+ network. They just switched our area to this recently, and my speeds jumped from about 1.5mb/s to 5.5mb/s.

Pretty quick, I'd say. Sure, it would be nice to claim I get 14mb/s or higher, but I'm quite happy with the network speeds.
    02-17-2011 10:39 AM
    well that sucks it doesnt have the radio for 4g... but 5 or so meg/sec isnt bad... guess ill have to dream about a 4g model untill it comes out... i guess they will wait till there is REAL 4g... not just HSPA++
    02-19-2011 09:57 AM
    Everybody wants 4g, right now these devices can barely utilize the full theoretical download speeds anyways.... the Vibrant will never actually download 21mbsp, no where near that. These devices can only utilize a specific amount of data, now... that 21mbps can be tethered to a laptop and then yes, that is when you will notice the 4g... regardless its still speedy over 3g, if you really want a T-Mobile 4g stock device, just wait for the next Nexus device, I am sure Google will keep it going especially when they release some major software enabled hardware options. Plus 4g is a hardware thing. No way to update it. If that were the case the carriers couldn't brag about how this phone has 4g and that phone doesn't.

Sent from my Nexus S
    02-19-2011 05:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD