Nexus 4g

Dexter73

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you. I don't want any crapware on the phone. No NASCAR or Sprint TV. I think that there is a better chance of having the Nexus S on Sprint than on AT&T or Verizon. Unless your phone has a fruit on the back of it, they will load the phone with junk.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you. I don't want any crapware on the phone. No NASCAR or Sprint TV. I think that there is a better chance of having the Nexus S on Sprint than on AT&T or Verizon. Unless your phone has a fruit on the back of it, they will load the phone with junk.

Well, not exactly. The Nexus line is a carrier-independent phone. You buy the phone, then you put in a SIM card. Done. When people say "AT&T Nexus S" what they mean to say is "Nexus S with AT&T 3G frequencies". We're still waiting for that one as it would also work with a lot more providers in Canada. [And BTW, the current NS works just fine on AT&T, it just doesn't pickup 3G.]

As for the CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) phones: I think it would be great if they allowed "unlocked" phones. But as far as I know, you have to have Sprint or Verizon to actually program the phone to work on their network. If they didn't sell you the phone, most likely they would not program it. And they would cite network stability as the reason to turn you down.

Heck, Sprint / Verizon share the same frequencies. Has anyone successfully brough a CDMA iPhone to Sprint yet? If I were Sprint, I'd happily activate iPhones just to stick it to AT&T/Verizon! :cool: (Well, I'd make a face at the customer for choosing iPhone over Android, but my point still stands..... lol).

So I'm guessing if there is a Nexus S CDMA phone, it's sold exclusively by Sprint or only with Sprint contract. And Verizon won't touch it. But I could be wrong (and I hope that I am).

Dexter73

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, not exactly. The Nexus line is a carrier-independent phone. You buy the phone, then you put in a SIM card. Done. When people say "AT&T Nexus S" what they mean to say is "Nexus S with AT&T 3G frequencies". We're still waiting for that one as it would also work with a lot more providers in Canada. [And BTW, the current NS works just fine on AT&T, it just doesn't pickup 3G.]

As for the CDMA (Sprint/Verizon) phones: I think it would be great if they allowed "unlocked" phones. But as far as I know, you have to have Sprint or Verizon to actually program the phone to work on their network. If they didn't sell you the phone, most likely they would not program it. And they would cite network stability as the reason to turn you down.

Heck, Sprint / Verizon share the same frequencies. Has anyone successfully brough a CDMA iPhone to Sprint yet? If I were Sprint, I'd happily activate iPhones just to stick it to AT&T/Verizon! :cool: (Well, I'd make a face at the customer for choosing iPhone over Android, but my point still stands..... lol).

So I'm guessing if there is a Nexus S CDMA phone, it's sold exclusively by Sprint or only with Sprint contract. And Verizon won't touch it. But I could be wrong (and I hope that I am).

What I meant to say is that we won't see a carrier subsidized version of the Nexus S on AT&T and Verizon. They won't subsidize it because they can't put their junk on it.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
What I meant to say is that we won't see a carrier subsidized version of the Nexus S on AT&T and Verizon. They won't subsidize it because they can't put their junk on it.

That's so true. I wish there were also more carriers like T-Mobile that would offer unsubsidised rates, too!

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Look, if the Nexus One had no problem of going to Sprint, then it should have been no surprise Sprint might get the Nexus S, I say might because Sprint almost got the Nexus One until they wanted the Evo instead. If it says Nexus, it won't have Sprint on there. Maybe branding to differentiate itself from the GSM series... however I really hope they bump up something like 720p camera or maybe SD card support, 3 months late to the game is kinda sad...

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not as up to date on all phones as most people......that being said, from what I can see, isn't the nexus s just a mirror of the evo? With a smaller screen? Minus expandable memory?(though more internal)????
Wish Sprint would bring us more "wow" factor phones. Like when they busted out the evo.....
Not like the echo........

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

TaeKwonDonkey

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm not as up to date on all phones as most people......that being said, from what I can see, isn't the nexus s just a mirror of the evo? With a smaller screen? Minus expandable memory?(though more internal)????
Wish Sprint would bring us more "wow" factor phones. Like when they busted out the evo.....
Not like the echo........

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

The Nexus S is far from the Evo 4G, they're made by different manufacturers and feature completely different experiences. The Nexus S was designed to give the user the untainted Google Experience where as the the Evo 4G features the HTC Sense UI skin in addition to Sprint specific applications. Nexus Phones typically introduce ground breaking new components like the Snapdragon in the Nexus One or NFC in the Nexus S. After the Nexus One came out, every phone that wished to compete in the high end side of the Android market needed a Snapdragon processor, not every phone thats announced these days features 4G like the Evo does.

I believe the purpose of the Nexus S was to raise the popularity of NFC on cell phones and introduce Gingerbread to the consumer. The Nexus S is not a mirror of the Evo 4G but I suppose that it could be said that the Nexus S is a mirror of the Galaxy S phones without the bloatware and manufacturer skin that the Galaxy S phones are burdened with.

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus S is far from the Evo 4G, they're made by different manufacturers and feature completely different experiences. The Nexus S was designed to give the user the untainted Google Experience where as the the Evo 4G features the HTC Sense UI skin in addition to Sprint specific applications. Nexus Phones typically introduce ground breaking new components like the Snapdragon in the Nexus One or NFC in the Nexus S. After the Nexus One came out, every phone that wished to compete in the high end side of the Android market needed a Snapdragon processor, not every phone thats announced these days features 4G like the Evo does.

I believe the purpose of the Nexus S was to raise the popularity of NFC on cell phones and introduce Gingerbread to the consumer. The Nexus S is not a mirror of the Evo 4G but I suppose that it could be said that the Nexus S is a mirror of the Galaxy S phones without the bloatware and manufacturer skin that the Galaxy S phones are burdened with.

maybe "mirror" was the wrong word. just meant that it seemed like they are very comparable specs wise..... would hope Spint would bring us phones that are an improvement over what their top of the line is....... not release a phone that has already been out for a while

clavodulce16

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I cuurently have an evo with cm7 non sense rom. The phone is great but I just need a smaller size phone. Beside all that there nothing different of option. Sprint has superior service plus 4g. Sound like I be taking advantage of my premier perks this summer once again.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
So I just saw that on engadget they posted a Nexus S 4G logo. I am not sure if this is real because it could have been fake. Well what do you think. I hope it is real because I have Sprint 4G and T-Mobile only has EDGE here so I am happy!
11x0318nexuss4g.jpg

a dumb cat

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'd be torn between this (Nexus S 4G) and the Shooter by HTC. Having that kind of problem is a good thing if you're on Sprint. :)

I'm looking forward to next week's CTIA, so I can possibly jump to Android from my Sprint Palm Pre.

Death Roe

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It is coming... I talked with a Sprint tech about some things earlier today and they said this:

"As of now, we do not have information regarding the launch of Nexus S 4G phone, Once it will be launched you receive a notification regarding it."

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers