I'm loving my Nexus S. I got the 2.3.1 update OTA about a week after purchasing. I just manually updated to 2.3.2 and no probs so far. However, I'm reticent about manually updating to 2.3.3. It seems as if the consensus is far more negative than positive on this update - yellow colors, signal problems.

Anyone had a different (positive) experience. I don't care about the NFC tags stuff, and I don't think I'd care too much about the color change. The KEY CONCERNS for me are:
    1. Strong 3G and wifi signals at home and work (I have both right now).
    2. Improved battery life (or at least no degradation)

Also, a procedural question. Let's say Google eventually gets around to sending me the 2.3.2 update OTA. What should I do? Should I try to install and it will detect I'm already updated? Is that a prerequisite to getting the next update OTA?
    03-20-2011 02:04 PM
    Google should not send you an OTA to 2.3.2 if you already have it. You have to have 2.3.2 to get to 2.3.3 but if you did it manually you are okay.

I noticed the color change but now forgot about it. I still have the same signal strength. Battery life is definitely improved with this update. This update is great and I am happy with it.
    03-20-2011 04:21 PM
    Thanks Baconator. I would definitely update if I thought battery life would improve. For Nexus one users the opposite has been the case.

It's odd, even with 2.3.2 I'm seeing the issue with wifi and 3G signal on at the same time. However, seems to function as designed. When I run speedtest.net I can confirm I'm on wifi as i get 4-5 mbps down and only .5 up (capped on my DSL). When I'm on 3G, i get very variable down rates, 2-5 down, and often 2-3 up. So, I think the radios are behaving even if their display is not.
    03-20-2011 06:34 PM
    The 2.3.3 update has helped my battery, or at least I think so, and I think it should help yours. I haven't heard anything about bad signal.
    03-20-2011 07:20 PM
    ...i havent received the update to 2.3.3? Anyone else still on 2.3.2 and haven't received the update yet? I don't want to update manually as I want to see how long it would take to actually get official updates...
    03-20-2011 09:27 PM
    It takes a while to get OTA updates. Just be patient.
    03-20-2011 09:48 PM
    Or update manually (which was already mentioned). I'm on the same boat as Baconator, I noticed the color change, but now, I don't care. Although, I did only have the phone for a few days before I updated manually to 2.3.3
    03-20-2011 11:11 PM
    Thanks all. I'm familiar with the manual update as that is how I got from 2.3.1 to 2.3.2.

Sorry to be a stickler, but still driving some of my earlier questions:

1. How will Google now know that my phone number now has 2.3.2 as I only got 2.3.1 OTA? When I did the manual install did it register something with Google that my number is now on 2.3.2?

2. I'm tempted to manually install 2.3.3 - mainly because I can't help myself and want the latest and greatest. However, I've read all the issues around the color (I don't really care about that too much) and battery life on the nexus 1. It seems like the nexus s has NOT had an issue with degradation in the battery life and possibly even an improvement. I travel so batt life is key to me. I'll happily proceed with the manual update if I can confirm battery life is the same or better.
    03-21-2011 07:46 PM
    1. How will Google now know that my phone number now has 2.3.2 as I only got 2.3.1 OTA? When I did the manual install did it register something with Google that my number is now on 2.3.2?
    When the phone checks in with Google's servers, it reports its current version. So long as you're running the offical code from Google, you're fine

2. I'm tempted to manually install 2.3.3 - mainly because I can't help myself and want the latest and greatest. However, I've read all the issues around the color (I don't really care about that too much) and battery life on the nexus 1. It seems like the nexus s has NOT had an issue with degradation in the battery life and possibly even an improvement. I travel so batt life is key to me. I'll happily proceed with the manual update if I can confirm battery life is the same or better.
    The update is just a bug fix with only the NFC features as being new, not counting the color adjustment. (As far as I know). If you're happy with the phone, I doubt you're missing anything with the 2.3.3 update and can wait for the OTA. I don't think battery life is going to be doubled with the new update. The N1 and NS phones are different, so I wouldn't try to compare battery life between them.

FWIW, my N1 battery seems to be the same, but then, it's just sitting on my dresser unused and idle,
    03-21-2011 08:33 PM
    ...i havent received the update to 2.3.3? Anyone else still on 2.3.2 and haven't received the update yet? I don't want to update manually as I want to see how long it would take to actually get official updates...
    Neither mine nor my wife's have gotten the update. Seems to be a common issue on the interwebs. It's even stranger that there's been a few posts (and this one) where the user turned on a new NS and got the 2.3.1 update immediately, but not the 2.3.2 or 2.3.3. Weird.

Don't use this as a yardstick, though. Most updates arrive within a couple of weeks of going live. This one has been out a month and I've not gotten it.

But, as I mentioned in my response above, since nothing seems broken on 2.3.2, I'm just going to wait. However, I really am curious why this one is taking so long.
    03-21-2011 08:37 PM
    @font1975 - thanks for the great info. Still trying to figure out the exact model/pattern for updates and if a mix of OTA and manual gets me in trouble, but sounds like either method is fine as long as applying official build.
    03-21-2011 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD