Bad news

rb81

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
It's way to early to start worrying about this. By the time this clears the courts to ensure there is no antitrust violations (if it ever does), it will be a year from now and we all will be looking into getting a new phone.

And when and if the merger occurs the aren't going to force you into a new contract, they will likely honor your existing one untill it expires.

And as far as AT&T service being subpar, I think the additional towers might make a difference.

dadds27

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
the good thing about this is that all the towers will be merged so that should help. also by the time this is all said and done 3 - 4 years from now 4g will be mainstream in every phone

chrisharmful

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I really didn't have a problem with AT&T service, was using them for years and signal was great all the time just about everywhere. My main concern is giving up the perks of what I can do on my Nexus S, like tether and wifi hotspot for free. No friggin way AT&T is gonna let us keep that. Just like how they are going after iphone users who tether, they will come after us to get us to change our plans somehow and be stuck with capped data plans. Just watch...

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I really didn't have a problem with AT&T service, was using them for years and signal was great all the time just about everywhere. My main concern is giving up the perks of what I can do on my Nexus S, like tether and wifi hotspot for free. No friggin way AT&T is gonna let us keep that. Just like how they are going after iphone users who tether, they will come after us to get us to change our plans somehow and be stuck with capped data plans. Just watch...

AT&T said that they would honor all plans.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site

Dexter73

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I think this is only for AT&T phones. I don't think this affects Nexus One users because the Nexus wasn't sold by AT&T and so they didn't get to put their restrictions on it like they can with the other phones they have. I hope Google makes the next Nexus compatible with AT&T's 3G/"4G" bands.

The point I am making is that having an Android phone on AT&T is useless because they lock down Android phones. You will never get the full Android experience on AT&T. A leopard doesn't change it's spots. They will eventually get rid of those great T-mobile plans.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The point I am making is that having an Android phone on AT&T is useless because they lock down Android phones. You will never get the full Android experience on AT&T. A leopard doesn't change it's spots. They will eventually get rid of those great T-mobile plans.

Having an Android phone on any carrier that restricts its full possibilities is pointless. I wish carriers would let Android users use their phones to their full potential. I will fight to keep my plan, even though they just care about my money and not what I want.

chrisharmful

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Trust me, I would love nothing more than for AT&T to leave us Nexus owners alone after the merger but I really doubt they will. At this point, I 'm hoping the merger and the turnover from T-mobile signal to AT&T takes a long, long time.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Trust me, I would love nothing more than for AT&T to leave us Nexus owners alone after the merger but I really doubt they will. At this point, I 'm hoping the merger and the turnover from T-mobile signal to AT&T takes a long, long time.

Don't forget how AT&T locks down Android phones.

AT&T has no involvement with the features in the Nexus line. You buy the phone, put the SIM card in, turn it on. AT&T begins routing data and voice to your phone. That's the end of their involvement. My Nexus One runs on the AT&T 3G frequencies. It's not an AT&T Nexus One, it's simply a Nexus One that works on the AT&T (and Canada!) 3G frequencies. And it will work on any GSM carrier via Edge (2G).

Only phones branded with AT&T and sold through their retail channels have been crippled. That is wrong, but their sandbox their rules, unfortunately.

Since Canada and AT&T share the same 3G frequencies, I dont' see any reason why Google wouldn't make a version available here. The gotcha is, don't expect to see AT&T subsidize it. Everyone will pay full price, and that will hurt sales. (And as of now, AT&T doesn't offer the "Plus" type plans, so you pay the same rate as someone who did subsidize their phone. :mad:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non