03-24-2011 10:35 AM
30 12
tools
    Don't forget how AT&T locks down Android phones.

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/andro...p-store-status
    I think this is only for AT&T phones. I don't think this affects Nexus One users because the Nexus wasn't sold by AT&T and so they didn't get to put their restrictions on it like they can with the other phones they have. I hope Google makes the next Nexus compatible with AT&T's 3G/"4G" bands.
    03-24-2011 12:14 AM
    I think this is only for AT&T phones. I don't think this affects Nexus One users because the Nexus wasn't sold by AT&T and so they didn't get to put their restrictions on it like they can with the other phones they have. I hope Google makes the next Nexus compatible with AT&T's 3G/"4G" bands.
    The point I am making is that having an Android phone on AT&T is useless because they lock down Android phones. You will never get the full Android experience on AT&T. A leopard doesn't change it's spots. They will eventually get rid of those great T-mobile plans.
    03-24-2011 12:31 AM
    The point I am making is that having an Android phone on AT&T is useless because they lock down Android phones. You will never get the full Android experience on AT&T. A leopard doesn't change it's spots. They will eventually get rid of those great T-mobile plans.
    Having an Android phone on any carrier that restricts its full possibilities is pointless. I wish carriers would let Android users use their phones to their full potential. I will fight to keep my plan, even though they just care about my money and not what I want.
    03-24-2011 12:35 AM
    Trust me, I would love nothing more than for AT&T to leave us Nexus owners alone after the merger but I really doubt they will. At this point, I 'm hoping the merger and the turnover from T-mobile signal to AT&T takes a long, long time.
    03-24-2011 01:29 AM
    Trust me, I would love nothing more than for AT&T to leave us Nexus owners alone after the merger but I really doubt they will. At this point, I 'm hoping the merger and the turnover from T-mobile signal to AT&T takes a long, long time.
    Don't forget how AT&T locks down Android phones.
    AT&T has no involvement with the features in the Nexus line. You buy the phone, put the SIM card in, turn it on. AT&T begins routing data and voice to your phone. That's the end of their involvement. My Nexus One runs on the AT&T 3G frequencies. It's not an AT&T Nexus One, it's simply a Nexus One that works on the AT&T (and Canada!) 3G frequencies. And it will work on any GSM carrier via Edge (2G).

Only phones branded with AT&T and sold through their retail channels have been crippled. That is wrong, but their sandbox their rules, unfortunately.

Since Canada and AT&T share the same 3G frequencies, I dont' see any reason why Google wouldn't make a version available here. The gotcha is, don't expect to see AT&T subsidize it. Everyone will pay full price, and that will hurt sales. (And as of now, AT&T doesn't offer the "Plus" type plans, so you pay the same rate as someone who did subsidize their phone. )
    03-24-2011 10:35 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD