I love my Nexus S I mean I love it, but with all this dual core talk is the nexus's hardware becoming outdated. Not trying to start argument I just don't like to have a behind the times phone *despite having updates first *
    03-23-2011 08:59 PM
    Not outdated, just different

Unless you're into heavy gaming, or running weather simluations, I think one core is enough for now. Even for the current gaming, I'm thinking. But can't wait for the Nexus 3! (Although my wife may not let me get it, since I got the N1 and the NS only 7 months apart, lol).
    03-23-2011 10:10 PM
    I think you have a year to wait for the Nexus 3. At least that's what I think google is doing one each year.
    03-23-2011 10:13 PM
    Maybe Google did it on purpose. Instead of putting dual-core they put one core because they were tired of always having people say that there were hardware requirements for certain updates. Sure old hardware may not be as good with software as new hardware but they wanted to show it still works. Who knows. I feel the same way as you. I want dual-core, but then I want updates. Why can't I have both.
    03-23-2011 10:20 PM
    I am not dying for dual core, but I guess it could be nice. Do you think the Nexus S will not get as many updates because of the always improving hardware? Or will 3 updates from now still run great on a single core 1GHZ.
    03-23-2011 10:22 PM
    there is only a handful of apps that run duel core right now. next year is when it will take off
    03-23-2011 10:40 PM
    Well I doubt the Nexus S will get updates 2yrs from now but I plan to upgrade before then. It is a good device for now. Well I know that by the time dual-core phones get updates to the Android Version that does support dual-core my Nexus S will be at least one version ahead.
    03-23-2011 11:21 PM
    i think that dual core would be nice for the nexus s, but single core is good too. as stated above, it would/ is more for the gaming platform for smoother transitions/ FPS. But in the long run, I believe that the nexus s will have a longer update life, meaning that the phone has only been out for 1Q and already has 3 updates (though minor fixes) but for the rest of this year, i think were going to see alot more updates. think the nexus one have been out for over a year and is still being updated. and all of 2010 it got the first updates. im sure the NS will be the same way dual core or not
    03-24-2011 12:33 PM
    Well they may have dual core but the Nexus S will be the first device to have the software to take advantage of dual core, so basically they may have the latest hardware, but not the latest software

Sent from my Nexus S
    03-26-2011 06:42 AM
    i think that dual core would be nice for the nexus s, but single core is good too. as stated above, it would/ is more for the gaming platform for smoother transitions/ FPS. But in the long run, I believe that the nexus s will have a longer update life, meaning that the phone has only been out for 1Q and already has 3 updates (though minor fixes) but for the rest of this year, i think were going to see alot more updates. think the nexus one have been out for over a year and is still being updated. and all of 2010 it got the first updates. im sure the NS will be the same way dual core or not
    I hope that Nexus S keeps getting OS updates throughout the year, and even when the next Nexus phone comes out. I will most likely still get the next Nexus phone but it would be nice for everyone else who will keep this phone for another year or two to get updates constantly.
    03-26-2011 12:14 PM
    I hope that Nexus S keeps getting OS updates throughout the year, and even when the next Nexus phone comes out. I will most likely still get the next Nexus phone but it would be nice for everyone else who will keep this phone for another year or two to get updates constantly.
    I agree completely, I just don't want to get 2 updates and then nothing.
    03-26-2011 12:21 PM
    The nexus 1 is still getting updates. There's no reason to think the S would be any different, even if the next nexus has dual core.
    03-27-2011 12:22 PM
    Of course I say that as my NS has yet to receive the 2.3.3 update. Yes, I know how to do it manually, I've even downloaded the update. At this point, I'm just curious how long this is going to take

Weird since I received the previous updates within a week of their release...
    03-28-2011 09:02 AM
    IMO dual cores aren't needed on phones. Tablets sure, but most tasks on cell phones you'll probably never come across a need to use both cores.
    03-28-2011 10:56 AM
    The nexus 1 is still getting updates. There's no reason to think the S would be any different, even if the next nexus has dual core.
    Three months after gingerbread was released it is getting updates. Imagine how bad it will get when there is the third Nexus phone. That phone will first get updates, then a few months later Nexus S, then a few months after that Nexus One will get updates.
    03-28-2011 12:22 PM
    Three months after gingerbread was released it is getting updates. Imagine how bad it will get when there is the third Nexus phone. That phone will first get updates, then a few months later Nexus S, then a few months after that Nexus One will get updates.
    Most likely it depends on the level of "readiness" Google feels for the major update. Notice how the N1 didn't go to 2.3, but straight to 2.3.3, the same as the NS? And that both the N1 and NS updates for 2.3.3 went out at the same time? Don't forget that the N1 was updated with the SMS bug fix at the same time as the NS. (Recall the 2.2.2 update that went out in January; which was after 2.3's official release to AOSP and before the current 2.3.3. update.)

And my N1 updated to 2.3.3 and my new NS still hasn't

So no worries
    03-28-2011 01:07 PM
    I think that was a one time thing (even though that is what I am worried about the most) the N1 I think had a problem with the software. I don't think or at least I hope Google doesn't fail us with updating the Nexus series.
    03-28-2011 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD