I manually installed 2.3.3 on my NS after waiting for a month for the OTA update and never receiving it. To my surprise when my device reboots my screen is very washed out and yellow looking. I searched the issue and it is supposed to be intentional but comparing my screen to screens online it becomes apparent that my device is a lot more yellow than the devices shown online. Anything that was displayed as white on my device is now clearly yellow and I'm wondering if there is any fix.

I'm honestly considering sending this phone back to Best Buy since I have insurance with them, just so I can get a device that has not been updated to 2.3.3.
    03-28-2011 02:24 PM
    Welcome to Android Central!

On a properly calibrated screen, a lot of folks will see white as "yellow". Try looking at pictures and video on your phone and see if the colors look more natural. Even better, take some pictures with it and see if the pictures look closer to reality. (For best results do this test in the mid-afternoon sun)

I've not updated my phone, because at this point I'm just curious how long this particular OTA is going to take, lol.

With my 2.3.2 screen, some skin tones look a little too red, and some grays have a bluish or violet tint. (Although some pictures I've seen seem to indicate some phones are worse than others). The whites are also a touch "cool", or ever so slightly bluish.

You can always swap your phone if you feel the colors are way off. They very well may be. But also be prepared to get similar results when the update comes through. You can't just stop updating unless you go the root route. Unfortunately, this screen change is disliked by a lot of folks. We can only hope that one day Google will make the color temp a user settable option.
    Omeza likes this.
    03-28-2011 04:25 PM
    After messing around with the camera I can say that you were right. The pictures I am taking now are a lot more accurate at portraying the real life colors of the images. This is especially true of whites and outdoor pictures.

Also, it turns out that the yellowish tint is affected by the brightness of the screen. I used to run my phone exclusively on automatic brightness to promote battery life but I have found that doing so now causes the yellowing to be almost unbearable. After messing around with the settings and doing comparisons I have found that at maximum brightness the screens look beautiful and a lot more life-like. Seems like I'll be stuck at using the screen on this setting for a while

Here's to hoping Google let's us set the screen settings in a future update.

If all else fails I can always swap the phone out for another one and run cyanogenmod at 2.3.2 on it.
    03-29-2011 08:55 AM
    I actually like the change in screen temperature, it makes the black menu's more transparent and I love transparency.
    03-29-2011 04:16 PM
    Ya that was the first thing I noticed when I manually updated. Now I forgot about the whole screen color change. Maybe you will be like me and forget about it.
    03-29-2011 05:15 PM
    did you see an improvement in battery life with the 2.3.3 update or not significant? Perhaps the color palette change which sounds more muted drains the battery less. I've also been considering manually updating. I manually updated to 2.3.2 after getting 2.3.1 OTA. However, since I'm not looking to actively use the NFC stuff which is the main component of 2.3.3 maybe I'll just wait for the OTA update.
    03-29-2011 09:55 PM
    Well I have noticed a battery change, the battery life has improved. It lasts me a full day. Others said that they haven't so it might just be me but I like it.
    03-29-2011 11:18 PM
    I saw a great battery improvement I can go into the night now and still have a decent amount of charge on my battery.
    03-30-2011 06:22 AM
    excellent to hear that. I think I'm going to manually update at the weekend.
    03-30-2011 08:53 PM
    I took the plunge and updated to 2.3.3 and afterwards verified I have build GRI40. I have to say I didn't see a significant change in color. Overall, I would say the colors are slightly more muted (but not yellow) and more realistic than before but honestly I probably only noticed because I was looking for the change due to all the threads on this. If I'd been oblivious to that concern I bet I wouldn't have noticed. Whites are still white, blacks are still black. I ran the update manually from recovery mode so I was reading the output as it progressed. Looks like the radio was patched on this build so it will be interesting to see if that improves. It can be a bit spotty at times compared to my mytouch4G. I ran speedtest.net again and got good results.

So, if you're holding off because of the yellow issue I would say it's much ado about nothing, but your choice of course and I'm an old gal so my eyes are not as sharp as some of you youngsters!
    04-02-2011 06:11 AM