So I bought a never before used Nexus S off of Craigslist. I'm pretty sure that claim is legit. It looks brand new and I met the seller at their very expensive home in a very fancy neighborhood. And the phone does indeed look and feel brand new.

When I got it home. There was a black square in the sim slot. I had some difficulty pulling it out. When I finally managed to get it out and put a sim in, the phone won't recognize the sim card. Did anyone else have trouble with this placeholder - I can't find any pictures of it online - all the unboxings I have found are fake (e.g. the sim is already in during the unboxing - lame). The one on mine is basically a square sim frame - an odd design. I think the pins in the sim slot are gone / messed up. I guess I'll call Samsung and see if I can get it fixed. If they don't, I don't think it'll be too hard to solder pins to the leads.

Needless to say, I'm not to happy about this. Anyone out there see anything like this?

05-03-2011 01:33 AM
    What is the model number for your phone, that will help a lot. To be honest, my phones didn't have any kind of "place holder". The sim slot was empty.

(The Model number that is under the battery)
    05-03-2011 08:53 AM
    Same here. Mine did not come with anything inserted in the SIM slot. Maybe you should contact the seller?
    05-03-2011 12:20 PM
    No placeholder. The only time I've ever seen a SIM placeholder was on aircards.
    05-03-2011 03:26 PM
    There is a guy over on xda having a similar problem. You might find some useful info.... there was something about needing to use a newer sim card....

FS Nexus S GT-I9020F (AT&T, Rogers, Fido, Telus, Bell (850/1900/2100)

Hope it helps.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
    05-03-2011 10:44 PM