Looking at the nexus s. Issues fixed?

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking at the nexus s to replace my captivate that is riddled with issues, partly my own since I bought it unlocked online and using on a different carrier.

Anyway, I am wondering if all of the initial issues have been fixed for this phone? Through searches i've found that was an sms problem of sending texts to the wrong contact. Now THAT is a big issue. Has that been fully and successfully resolved? How about the random power downs or power downs during a call? I've also heard of the mic not working during calls. I mean, it's a phone right. lol
Just reading about the screen issues after the latest update too. Nexus s isn't looking so good, but with my carrier (fido)it's that or an iphone.

Are there any other issues one should know about?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

natrixgli

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I've had my T-Mobile Nexus S for four weeks now. Overall I'm very satisfied, and not just as a gadget geek but as a normal phone user as well. I've never had any of the problems you've described.

The few issues I've had are:

• Wifi must be turned off before connecting to the bluetooth in my car. (Ford Sync) If not, the BT disconnects after a few minutes.
  • Once the unlock screen got stuck while a call was ringing. I had to press the unlock button a second time then it was fine. (My iPhone 4 did this occasionally too.)
  • Occasionally the device becomes somewhat unresponsive when I've left NBA Game Time 2011 running and locked the screen.

Other than that it works great. I'm using the latest OS (2.3.4)

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
All but two of the issues you list appear to have been fixed now. The most recent release of Android is 2.3.4, and the reboots and SMS bugs seem to have quieted down. At least I've not seen much about it. (Also, it seems not all phones were affected. I have two NS (me and the mrs.) and neither had those issues.)

The thing about the MIC not working is new to me; again, I've not had any issues on either of my two phones.

For the last point, I'm not sure which screen issues you're referring to. If it's the "yellow screen" that you see a lot of complaints about, it's not an issue, per se. Google changed the color temperature of the screen, so it's warmer now. Some folks hate it, others (and I think most) were more like "Meh.", and some prefer the new change. [imo, If Google does "fix" this "issue", I'm hoping they make the setting user-adjustable, as I like new color-temp] But I would think, since you're getting a new phone, it will have or will update to the new Android version right away. So for you, the new screen will be "normal" and you'll most likely be OK with how it looks.

Besides, if you like Android over iPhone, and your only choice is the Nexus S or iPhone, then you really can't go wrong with the NS. It is a great phone!

Guamguy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Issues are gone after Android 2.3.3. 2.3.4 makes it a more solid OS.

A new issue did pop up but it can't be considered a defect or bug. That is, Google deliberately disabled the built in Facebook sync for the Nexus S though it still runs on 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 on the Nexus One. Seems like it wants Facebook to set up its own sync. Doesn't apply with any other Androids with Gingerbread. I think Google is mad with Facebook. Overall, its minor.

The color balance changed from heavy on the blues and greens to a more neutral, slightly yellow balance.

Overall, with either 2.3.3 or 2.3.4, its a rock solid handset in my experience. Just runs like a real workhorse.

When I first got the handset last December, it was riddled with issues and bugs that I can't really recommend it. I would wince about the ROMs and Gingerbread upgrades to other phones knowing, well it ain't ready. And its true, Google did stop some of the planned Gingerbread updates to many existing phones, or releasing phones that came with Gingerbread out of the box.

Until Android 2.3.3 that is. The Nexus S is solid. It restored my confidence on Gingerbread. The gates have been opened and its also a go signal for Gingerbread upgrades and new Gingerbread phones. That's why the updates have begun, such as on the Incredible S, Galaxy S and Desire HD, and phones like the Xperia Arc, Play, Galaxy SII are all coming out.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. If I do get the NS I will be getting it from my carrier so at least I can return it if there are problems. I bought my captivate unlocked NIB online with returns only on DOA.

With my captivate, the market has doesn't work(I've tried 20+ of the fixes online that have worked for others), I can't update the OS from eclair because it's an at&t phone used on fido in Canada. Which also may be why the market won't work? It keeps telling me I have an unresgistered handset if I try update. If I try register it it says my S/N does not exist. I've been sideloading apps with the side load wonder machine but a lot of what I try these days says I need 2.2 to run it.

Sad thing is, if everything worked, I would love this phone, and it's specs are the same as the NS so it sucks thinking about paying for a new phone that isn't really an "upgrade".

And since I am used to the nice bright sAMOLED on my cappy, I imagine I won't be too fond of the new screen settings either. I hope they make them user adjustable too.

Again, thanks for the help and input.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I think I will hold off and see if google fixes the samoled screen issues that occurred from the 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 updates. No way am I getting a phone with a gorgeous samoled that then ends up washed out and yellow after an update.

If not, I guess I'll be looking at some other handset. It's really the only thing holding me back.

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Let me see if I can get some good images of the screen. Give me a couple of days, as photographing a screen is difficult, since the camera wants to do its own white balance settings, too!

But it's really not that bad. As I mentioned above, I can see where if you're used to seeing it one way, and it gets adjusted, it might be a horrible change. But I've had an iPhone 4 user ask me what phone I had because he thought the screen was "awesome". And this was after 2.3.4....

It does seem to loose contrast in its lowest brightness settings, but the medium and high settings still look quite nice.

Of course get the phone that suits you best, but I at least want to see the NS get a fair shot :)

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I think I will hold off and see if google fixes the samoled screen issues that occurred from the 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 updates. No way am I getting a phone with a gorgeous samoled that then ends up washed out and yellow after an update.

If not, I guess I'll be looking at some other handset. It's really the only thing holding me back.

Don't let the screen be the reason you don't get the phone. It is a great phone and the screen is awesome. Actually the screen is better with the changes. The screen is great and I actually like it better. You don''t even notice the difference after a week. There are no issues with the screen and everybody who says that it is horrible is really EXAGGERATING the changes.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys. I will keep considering it. The thing is though, I have a captivate right now and the screen is absolutely brilliant with the blackest blacks and brightest whites you could imagine. I guess I really would have to see what the NS looks like with the updated settings. The comparisons I've seen online aren't inspiring though but I do realize it's hard to take accurate photos as the camera tries to compensate.
Do you think google/samsung will "fix" the screen or is this how it stays? Would you go back to the way it was if you could?

Edit: It's pictures like this that scare me....

2011-02-25-17.12.33.jpg

I would NOT want a phone that looks like that.

Last edited:

font1975

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't go back. The only fix I would recommend for Google is to tweak the lowest brightness setting. Some of the contrast does get a little lost at that setting.

Obviously everyone has their preferences. But regarding that picture you posted:

1. It's two different phones. The left one looks like an N1 which was just an AMOLED
(not "super") and is darker. (Using the N1 in Daylight was tough!)

2. The screen on the left is too purplish/bluish. The one on the right is a bit more accurate....

3. ....but I think the camera used is warming and exposing the image too much.
My NS most definitely does not look like that. On my phone the quick launch bar
is not that "yellow" and is more like a light black, if such a thing exists, and the icons
still have contrast in them.

This article's (www.talkandroid.com) pictures are much closer what I saw when I compared my NS with 2.3.4 and the wife's at 2.3.2. I think I saw a little more difference than this, but it was still easily forgotten about after a day or so. (the mrs. didn't even notice; and she tells me everything that is "not right" with her phone):

If there's a return policy, then just go get the NS and try it out. I would recommend leaving your old phone behind so you're not tempted to compare and contrast. Just bring the SIM with you to the store. (And be sure to try it at different screen settings. I find from about 25% - 100% brightness it looks just fine.)

Last edited:

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't go back. The only fix I would recommend for Google is to tweak the lowest brightness setting. Some of the contrast does get a little lost at that setting.

Obviously everyone has their preferences. But regarding that picture you posted:

1. It's two different phones. The left one looks like an N1 which was just an AMOLED
(not "super") and is darker. (Using the N1 in Daylight was tough!)

2. The screen on the left is too purplish/bluish. The one on the right is a bit more accurate....

3. ....but I think the camera used is warming and exposing the image too much.
My NS most definitely does not look like that. On my phone the quick launch bar
is not that "yellow" and is more like a light black, if such a thing exists, and the icons
still have contrast in them.

This article's (www.talkandroid.com) pictures are much closer what I saw when I compared my NS with 2.3.4 and the wife's at 2.3.2. I think I saw a little more difference than this, but it was still easily forgotten about after a day or so. (the mrs. didn't even notice; and she tells me everything that is "not right" with her phone):

If there's a return policy, then just go get the NS and try it out. I would recommend leaving your old phone behind so you're not tempted to compare and contrast. Just bring the SIM with you to the store. (And be sure to try it at different screen settings. I find from about 25% - 100% brightness it looks just fine.)

Your right!

Nirvana328

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm also looking to get a new Nexus S but was wondering how is the wifi radio? Have any of the updates addressed those issues? Also besides the wifi radio strength, are there any other issues that you guys can think of that would be a deal breaker for the Nexus S or that you wish you knew before you bought one?

For a little background info, I'm coming from a Nexus One which I loved but it's showing it's age with the lack of internal storage for apps and I want a device with a larger screen. I'm leaning towards another Nexus device cause I love stock Android and the fast updates I get.

I'm also on a T-Mobile no contract monthly plan so I'm looking to buy something at retail price, but I'm not interested in the new Nexus phone since it will be too expensive and judging by my old phone, I may not even keep the new Nexus for a full 2 years to recoup the extra cost of a new retail phone from the savings of my no contract plan. So I figure I'll get something a little less new and a little cheaper and use that for a year or two and just repeat the process as needed.

thanks in advance.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm also looking to get a new Nexus S but was wondering how is the wifi radio? Have any of the updates addressed those issues? Also besides the wifi radio strength, are there any other issues that you guys can think of that would be a deal breaker for the Nexus S or that you wish you knew before you bought one?

thanks in advance.

The wifi radio isn't the best but I think it will be fixed with an update like the Nexus S 4G did. I love the Nexus S and think that there are no issues or problems at all with it. I love and I think you will too if you buy it.

Reactions: Nirvana328

Rahabib

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
apart from the wifi, the rest of the device is fine. I have had a few lockups, but not that often. I have had a scare with my camera pics, but a quick reboot brought them all back.

Its also not the greatest phone, and there are rumors of more Nexus products coming down the pipeline, so if you can wait another 6 months, I would wait personally, but if you need a phone now, and want to have the latest and greatest without all the bloat that the carriers put on it, this is the best phone to have.

So if you want HD recording, HDMI out, 4G (unless you have the sprint version) and good wifi - pass.
If you dont care about those issues and want a great stock android, no bloat, every app works for it, experience - then go with Nexus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khalio1234