Memory Mysteries - P509

Hoib

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello - I'm on an older un-rooted Optimus-T. I have recently become aware that the "Phone Storage" is starting to dwindle more than I would have expected. Scenario: After a recent factory reset and installation of only 4 downloaded apps, I wound up with 103 mB of phone storage. Pretty good, I thought. I resisted installing any more apps - read on. About a month later (today) I looked to see that phone storage was currently sitting at 31 mB. That's a huge drop. I know that the Facebook app (which I never use) takes 3.4 mB (data space) plus a few others which I also don't use and cannot uninstall. I have as one of my 4 programs, Android Assistant which has a cleanup facility. But that won't go as far as I can to go to Manage Applications and "Clear Data". After using AA and going through each app in Manage Applications, phone storage increased to a measly 44 mB. A couple of uses later it's back to 31 mB again and I've moved all possible apps to the SD card; there are none left that I can move (unrooted). I do not know what's hogging RAM on the device.

Let me ask: Is this missing RAM being swallowed up in some folder(s) in the /root? If so, I'm probably not going to be able to recover it without /root access, right? I just have to live with this and not be able to install any further apps from the Play Store (4 is all I have on here). My concern is, as the phone keeps decrementing memory out of my control (even without me installing further apps), sooner or later I'm going to cross the boundary from a working device to one that doesn't. ... exactly why I had to factory reset a month ago! The device simply hung and would no longer respond/reboot. I had everything important backed up thankfully.

What advice or information can you experts share with me about this annoying Android habit?

H

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance