[App] Free Wireless Tethering (Root Required)

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
1) You need to root your phone. If you have not done this, please go HERE
- This is not the place to discuss if you are having issues rooting. The only reason root is mentioned is because its necessary to make wireless tether work.
2) Go HERE to download the apk to your phone. Typically people download the top one as that's the newest release. Don't worry if the LG isn't listed yet, it works because it's kernel is netfilter enabled :p
3) Once the APK downloads click it and it will install. If you get a warning about un-verified apps click settings and allow for unverified apps to load. Now click it and it will work
4) Open wireless tether, click menu on your phone and go through the settings.
5) Once your all setup, have fun

Troubleshooting (in this order):
-Did you download the version from the market? Uninstall, go to the link in step 2 above, and download from there.
-Reinstall the binary and config. Open wireless tether app and Menu > Settings > Menu > re-install binary/config
-Make sure you don't have wireless tether set to shut off when your screen turns off. Launch wireless tether, Menu > settings > Check mark "disable wake-lock"
-Have you tried switching to a clean channel? Download wifi analyzer from the market and find a clean channel in the area you are going to be working. Inside on wireless tether, set it to use that channel. Launch wireless tether app and Menu > Settings > channel.

I have absolutely no affiliation with any of the work above. All thanks should go to those Dev's. Also, please consider donating to the Dev's who spent their time hooking us up. More information on the project can be found on their google code site.

Thanks to iamlillysdad for being my guinea pig when it came to the optimus T.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
wireless tethering is free anyway its built into the 2.2 optimus t rom
I'm told native tethering is disabled. This prevents T-Mo from charging you $14.99 a month if you want to tether.

free? no data charged by T-mobile? i've never known them to be generous

You must pay your data bill through T-Mo but this negates the $14.99 tethering charge. So if you have T-Mo and your bill is $50 a month and you decide you want to tether, it's going to now cost you $65 a month. By using these instructions your Bill will stay at $50 a month.

Joeseph Mother

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Native tethering is disabled by default, it can be reenabled with quick settings or a widget, but this works as well, I have used it with no problems and also included it in ubuntdroid.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21