drellisdee

ROM Developer
Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Here is a recovery for you guys! Tested Working on xda by Joesph Mother

Let ThundeRom for T commence.

[Dead Link Removed]

Please check md5 of 82deaeec44c9b6b7095efcfa31fee099 prior to flashing

See my recovery section in opt s Here for description of features and I'll build a full release version soon with proper credits etc.

Only thing I'll change is remove test naming fyi.

To install extract the recovery.zip (linked above) and flash_image.zip (from opt s post) and copy those to the ROOT of sdcard.
To flash recovery from root # shell do these commands. If install-recovery.sh doesn't exist on your phone just move to next step.
Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-OPT-T-test.img

# reboot recovery

Also dont worry about the E:Bad boot Message. Bad boot message is due to a evil service lg uses that instant reboots out of recovery. Service is disabled in my recovery causing that message on lg vortex, opt one and t. They use a different kernel setup on optimus s so that one doesn't have it. Its completely fine.

If you would like to back up your stock recovery you can do it via this command from a root shell PRIOR to flashing recovery
Code:
dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd2 of=/sdcard/recovery-dump-T.img bs=4096

I'm not going to host one as I'm not trying to get in any potential trouble from hosting LG's binary. Feel free for someone else to host and mirror stock if you want to.

Last edited:

Joeseph Mother

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
What's even worse is 150 views, probably means about 50 downloads, and 1 thanks, and that came from the guy who had already tested it. As for feedback, works great, flashing a zip works. Signature toggle works, automatically starts as enabled. Backup works, I don't have apps2sd to know if backup+ext works. Wipe works. Mount works. USB mount works twice, if you try to mount it a third time it'll show working on the phone but won't show on the computer, restart the phone and it'll work twice again. Partition SD works. Adb su in recovery works.

Last edited:
Reactions: tomhub389

wheremyarm

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I think I got this to work but... after reboot recovery my phone rebooted, got to a screen with a picture of an android coming out of a box, appeared to reboot again, and is now asking me to set the phone up for the first time. Did I miss something? It looks like I'm just going to have to go through another restore with Titanium Backup again.

Oh here's what happened in shell:

Code:
# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image
/sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory
# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image
# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
failed on '/system/etc/install-recovery.sh' - No such file or directory
# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-OPT-T-test.img
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-RA-GNM-OPT-T-test.img
# reboot recovery
reboot recovery

C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
It looks like everything went smoothly for me. I received both error messages that drellisdee said were to be ignored -

\install-recovery.sh doesn't exist
E:Bad boot message

I'm now at a screen that says Android System Recovery and looks identical to that posted in the Optimus S post.

Everything seems to be working great!

I have some pointers for the noobs who rooted with the z4 method (like me). First install the SDK and drivers as explained in the [How to] Root sticky and follow steps 1-3.
Next Open a CMD window and type the following:
cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is (mine for example is C:\Program Files (x86)\Portable\Android\tools)
Code:
adb shell
su

*make sure your phone isn't locked or asleep when you reach the "su" command. Your phone will prompt you to allow superuser action. Do so.

*Note for Vista/7 users with UAC enabled - Depending on where you installed the Android SDK you may have to open the CMD window as an Administrator (search "cmd", right click "Run as Administrator")

At this point you should now see # and you can begin to follow drellisdee instructions at the top of the page.

Last edited:
Reactions: tremendazo

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
@wheremyarm - It looks like you did it correctly. All I can think of is make sure when you copy and paste that you don't include any extra spaces.

tomhub389

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Re-flash stock recovery

First off just wanna thank all you guys out there getting the Optimus dev community up and running, d-rizzle, kSmith, Beezy, J Mother... kinda sounds like an android rap group, we all appreciate your time and effort.

Main question is how do we go about reflashing the stock recovery if need be?
Just change the last line of code to the correct name?

I'm trying to make time to learn ADB but until then I'm on the dangerous crash course of guess and check. Long story short, I had the recovery up and running great, then realized uninstalling things in titanium completely gets rid of them even after a factory reset, (or is it because I wiped too much in the recovery?). Next thing, I find the stock V10L_00.kdz file and tried to flash it using the KDZ Updater and ended up with a completely non-responsive phone that won't turn on or even connect to a computer. Is this because I needed the stock recovery on there to flash the kdz?

Thanks again guys.

Oh yea, I have a replacement Opt T on the way from Tmo with free 3 day shipping. Gotta love Tmobile

tomhub389

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, yea I wasn't sure if that would fix it or not. I was trying to no avail to just find the stock firmware and flash it but that didn't go to smooth. Just have to wait on the replacement to get here now. Then I'm gonna learn/practice ADB with my G1 before messing around with this guy again.

inkee

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
worked great. first time doing this kinda thing. got really scared when i got an error about how there was no more memory or something on the phone. but then i just retyped it and it worked.

jsutton27

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
worked great. first time doing this kinda thing. got really scared when i got an error about how there was no more memory or something on the phone. but then i just retyped it and it worked.

I got the same memory error... the phone rebooted and is now stuck in the fastboot screen , what can i do to fix this?

plohip

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I just had the same problem (stuck at fastboot, not because of this recovery).

What I did was flash the recovery with fastboot.

You need to have the fastboot executable in your tools folder of the SDK.

Take the battery out and attempt to go into recovery.

Plug the phone into the computer, at the command prompt on your computer type "fastboot flash recovery.img" or whatever the recovery image is named on your SDcard. Once its done, I was able to reboot into recovery and restore my nandroid backup.

Hope this helps you guys.

vepachnh

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
im getting the same error in when trying to flash in fastboot...[/QUOTE

now im stuck in the lg screen... =(

Me too. I'm afraid if I bricked my phone. after reboot recovery command, it rebooted and stays put at the LG logo. removed battery, tried getting into recovery mode (power + home + vol down). don't know what i am doing wrong and how to unbrick it. did you get to fix yours? help please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton