Wi-Fi Calling fiasco

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
When I fire up Wi-Fi calling it states "invalid SIM". After calling Tmo I was told they are no longer offering the Wi-Fi calling update. Apparently they've received a lot of calls with this same problem. Evidently, there was some kind of fallout between LG and Tmo (the reps broken english was tough to understand) and Tmo is no longer supporting Wi-Fi calling on the Optimus. I asked if there would be an update to remove the now defunct service and he said no. He offered me a new phone if I ship mine back, once received they'd ship a new one. I told him this was unacceptable and that I'll be visiting a store and will walk with a new phone if necessary.

Notes -
-I'm on a prepaid SIM, had he told me it won't work with a prepaid account I could have accepted that since this isn't officially offered as a prepaid phone.
- I bought the T on November 7th and the update was issued on November 9th.

Questions -
Has anyone who bought this phone in the last week or two been offered an OTA update that included Wi-Fi calling? Frankly, I have no need for it and it's always atop my CPU usage (according to BatteryHistory) which means it's killing my battery.

I'm rooted with a custom recovery and I've removed some preinstalled apps (games and garbage nothing essential). Will this kill my chances of getting this resolved at a Tmo store? Should I unroot reinstall crapware and undo all the greatness first?

wheremyarm

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Wait so they offered you a new phone because wifi calling was messed up? As in new Optimus without the update or new Android phone? I might have to try to exploit this to get a discount on a Nexus S soon...

But yeah as far as I know being rooted voids your warranty, so I would unroot and get it looking stock beforehand. Let us know how it goes in the store!

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I never made it down to T-Mobile. Instead I cooked up my own ROM and removed Wi-Fi calling myself. It's nothing special but as a Christmas gift to all I may release a publicly consumable version with and without Wi-Fi calling....... stay tuned.

nick_danger

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
This is bad news. I just convinced both my parents to get Optimus Ts in order to use this very feature. They have poor reception in their house (in the middle of nowhere) and I figured this would be their killer solution. I have seen other forums and users that use the update with success, so this is disappointing to say the least. Perhaps the new phones give them decent enough reception inside that they won't need it? I hope...

Kodeen

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I am also on Tmo prepaid, and bought this phone yesterday at a retail store. Last night, I got the OTA update. Tried wifi calling this morning and it worked fine.

DJHarkavy

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
I never made it down to T-Mobile. Instead I cooked up my own ROM and removed Wi-Fi calling myself. It's nothing special but as a Christmas gift to all I may release a publicly consumable version with and without Wi-Fi calling....... stay tuned.

The Wi-fi version would be useful to me. My wife got updated OTA, and I didn't (and further, was unable to do so, for some reason via the LG update.)