Just finished my root

palmerwade

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey all. First off, thank you for the step by step guide on rooting. Went very easily. So now what do i do? I want to remove a lot of the stock apps (game demos and such) from my Lg Optimus T. How do i do this. I've tried going into applications under settings but can not remove them through that. What else should I do now that my phone is rooted? Someone help an android newb out! <3

moyer_34

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Congrats! I'm in a somewhat similar boat on the Optimus T, but before this I rooted a Mytouch 3G and went crazy with the custom ROMs, etc. A mix of newbie/veteran, I suppose. It's seemed like a bit of a different world so far with this phone - not as much available ROM-wise ... YET :) I'll throw out a few ideas from my experiences with both phones:

To your immediate question, I second drewwalton19216801 and highly recommend Titanium Backup. In fact, this was much of the reason I rooted this phone. It is a polished and indispensable app, allowing you to backup, restore, remove, etc. apps AND data. As an example, I accidentally reset my phone while playing around with the custom recovery (read on here...) and was able to get the apps I installed back to the state they were in when i used Titanium (including saved passwords, open folders). Once you've got Titanium up and running, back up all your apps - especially the stock apps you intend to get rid of. Who knows - if you have to return the phone, you may want to load these back in. After doing this backup, you can use Titanium to uninstall the protected bloatware since you now have root.

HOWEVER, before you do this, you may want to consider flashing the custom recovery image if you have not (can't tell from your post if you did this, or just rooted). Check out the sticky on this topic. The Nandroid backup is a REALLY good idea to do before you start messing around with stock apps and such. I haven't tested a NAND restore on this phone yet, but i did it all the time with the mytouch and it was a great way to start over and "freshen" up the phone if new apps had slowed things down.

Since it sounds like you are just getting started, I would emphasize not to accept any over the air updates now that you've rooted. No experience with this, but bad things happen. Had to be said :) Also, it looks like the custom ROM community for this phone is just gaining speed. I can't speak to much here yet, but perhaps check out the sticky, and be forewarned that custom ROMs need to be tested with specific phones before you can feel comfortable using them. I wouldn't rush into new ROMs yet as you are just getting started.

As for other root-ish apps to try out, SetCPU and Cachemate for Root might be two to try.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started. Have fun, but read read read the forums. Tons of great ideas out there.

palmerwade

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have Titanium Backup and I've done a full backup of everything. Now I can't figure out to remove the stock apps. I want to get rid of the game demos, stock music player, just some of the t-mobile bloatware. I looked at the guide for doing the customer recovery. Seems pretty simple. Is that definitely something I should do?

How do I remove items using titanium backup?

moyer_34

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll let others weigh in on the custom recovery. It's a prime reason to root in the first place, but perhaps not without risk. You might be okay without it.

Uninstalling is easy - in TB, click on the icon for a program. There is a button on the right to uninstall. Done. I wouldn't touch the standard music app since i think that is a core Android component, not from Tmobile. Stick to the games and such.

palmerwade

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Ahh, I'm just blind. This is my first smartphone so It might take me a while to get used to it.

So I downloaded SetCPU and I couldn't overclock at all. The max it would give me is 600mhz. I've read overclocking to 800 is the best option for my optimus. Any idea why it wouldn't let me?

What are some other "fun/cool/helpful" things I can do now that i'm rooted? What ROM's do people suggest? Help an android newbie out!

moyer_34

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You can underclock to save battery using the stock ROM and kernel (aka what you get when you root but do nothing else), but can't overclock beyond 600MHz unless you flash an overclock ("OC") kernel. This is not something I'm interested in yet on this phone and haven't tried, but you can find info on this (along with many other things) here:

[READ FIRST] [REF] Repository of howto's, roms, kernel, etc. - xda-developers

Also, I think a reading assignment is in order :) I'd very much encourage you to read all the info at the following post before making further changes to your phone. There are a lot of things to experiment with, but it is always nice to understand what exactly someone is suggesting you do to your device before diving in. I wish I'd seen this back in the day when I was getting started!

[READ FIRST] [REF] Dictionary for n00b - What is.../What does ...mean? (2011/01/17) - xda-developers

(Last: So I take back everything i said about lack of available ROMs. Lots at that first link. Forgive my ignorance...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC