Note 3 Keyboard Sucks

solo12gauge

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed the keyboard on my Note 3 sucks. Is there anyway I can get the S4 keyboard on my Note?

I would like to be able to delete the whole word after typing it instead of one letter at a time with one press of the backspace key. Also, swype guesses the word I want to type like half the time. It's super annoying.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have noticed the keyboard on my Note 3 sucks. Is there anyway I can get the S4 keyboard on my Note?

I would like to be able to delete the whole word after typing it instead of one letter at a time with one press of the backspace key. Also, swype guesses the word I want to type like half the time. It's super annoying.

Thanks

You could download Swype or the Google Keyboard from the Play Store. Both are better than the Samsung keyboard imo

Posted via Android Central App

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

Thanks

try fleksky

solo12gauge

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys.I'll just download a third party keyboard on both phones. I paid for the full version of swift key a couple phones back so I'll try it out. Thanks again.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I know everybody has their personal preference.. i for one have been using SwiftKey for over a year. But i kinda like the Note 3 keyboard.
Im curious, what do you NOT like about it.

adelcastillo78

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm with IAmSixNine. I don't have any issues with the Stock Note 3 keyboard. I have used SwiftKey and Google keyboards too, but i got used to having the number row on the top, so it is my go to kb.

anialator

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
They biggest issue I find with the stock Note 3 keyboard is the way they have done the punctuations. There is no long press option. Using punctuations on the stock keyboard takes way too many steps. Definitely, Swype and SwiftKey are solid replacements.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Bruce Contant

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The main things I don't like about the keyboard compared to its predecessor on the Galaxy S2:
- punctuation marks, including the comma take 3 button presses to insert, whereas the S2 was a single long press.
- predictive text is annoying, it always changes words I type in one letter at a time to something random so I always to remember to check that it's in the dictionary before moving to next work
- did I mention that there's no punctuation on the main screen except for period? Which is the only punctuation that isn't need because it's automatic :-(

I do like the numbers being on the top though

surfaday

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I really like the message ease keyboard. Its weird, but I find it much easier than swipe. Hard to explain, because it certainly has a learning curve!

macbook5

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Prior to getting the Note 3, I used the third party keyboard called Thumb Keyboard. I really like the way I can increase the size of the keys, add cursors, build in word shortcuts like for example otw=on the way (so you just type 'otw' and it changes it automatically to 'on the way' !). I tried it a few times on my Note 3 but there is no option to use the S pen with it, nor can you use the picture emoji's, Thumb keyboard only has the archaic :) type of emoji's. I have emailed the dev about these two options, but do not hold any hope of these two functionalities being added or perhaps they are unable to do so.
Anyone know of a keyboard that you can make the keys bigger on with s pen capabilities?

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I am fairly new to using SwiftKey but love it! There are five sizes for the keyboard and whatever font you use for system also appears on the keys. If the letters are too small, just change the font. Works fine with my s pen! I don't know about word shortcuts.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm very confused by some of the posts on this thread. You guys seem to have a different stock keyboard than I do. My stock Samsung keyboard on my Tmobile Note 3 absolutely allows you to long press for punctuation. What OS are you guys running? I'm on 4.4.2 stock and just bought my phone last week so never saw if the Jellybean keyboard was any different.

Also, you can turn off predictive text and auto complete in the settings for those that don't like it. I keep it on myself but for the people who mentioned not liking it, just turn it off.

I have tried the following keyboards on this phone: Samsung, Google, SwiftKey, Swype, Flex T9. The Samsung stock keyboard is my favorite. I love having the number row up top. The swipe typing works greats for me - better than the other keyboards. The handwriting with the SPen is surprisingly accurate for me. The other keyboards either don't have a handwriting function or the one that touts that it does, functioned abysmally for me personally (that may depend on your writing style but it only got one word out of 100 for me and the 99 wrong ones were gibberish, not even close).

Anyway, I'm not trying to talk anyone into using the stock keyboard - use whichever you like best of course - but I'm just surprised that the comments here sound like some of you are using a completely different stock keyboard than I have or haven't gone into the settings at all (or maybe your settings are different if there was a different kb on jellybean)?

Spencerdl

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm very confused by some of the posts on this thread. You guys seem to have a different stock keyboard than I do. My stock Samsung keyboard on my Tmobile Note 3 absolutely allows you to long press for punctuation. What OS are you guys running? I'm on 4.4.2 stock and just bought my phone last week so never saw if the Jellybean keyboard was any different.

Also, you can turn off predictive text and auto complete in the settings for those that don't like it. I keep it on myself but for the people who mentioned not liking it, just turn it off.

I have tried the following keyboards on this phone: Samsung, Google, SwiftKey, Swype, Flex T9. The Samsung stock keyboard is my favorite. I love having the number row up top. The swipe typing works greats for me - better than the other keyboards. The handwriting with the SPen is surprisingly accurate for me. The other keyboards either don't have a handwriting function or the one that touts that it does, functioned abysmally for me personally (that may depend on your writing style but it only got one word out of 100 for me and the 99 wrong ones were gibberish, not even close).

Anyway, I'm not trying to talk anyone into using the stock keyboard - use whichever you like best of course - but I'm just surprised that the comments here sound like some of you are using a completely different stock keyboard than I have or haven't gone into the settings at all (or maybe your settings are different if there was a different kb on jellybean)?

EAXCTLY This^^^ (JellyBean keyboard is the same)

Last edited:

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I misunderstood the part about using the s pen with SwiftKey. Doesn't work for handwriting. I bet before too long that will change. The reason I don't like the stock keyboard for punctuation is they are too small to see. They are much larger on SwiftKey! I just saw a setting for changing the milliseconds on the long press which makes it even better. Very cool.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Is is available in the Play Store? I would like that.

Sent from my SGH-I717M using AC Forums mobile app

I don't believe so. Just Google search "Swiftkey beta" and it should come up

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Downloaded the Swiftkey Beta today (Google search). It actually works for handwriting input with the S pen! If you hover the pen over the text input box an icon will appear. Tap it with the pen and a handwriting box will open. Very cool. Learned about this input method from a friend who uses it on the search bar of web pages so I thought I'd see if it worked with Swiftkey. Such a cool phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia