T-Mobile Note 3: Is it me or....did update noticeably improve reception and data speeds?

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Did 4.2.2 update noticeably improve your tmobile reception and data speeds? Prior to update, my service was horrid like it was back 6 years ago when I was with this company. Which was the reason why I went to AT&T.

I took advantage of that ETF deal which is nothing but headaches so this update helped alittle....

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
re: Is it me or....did update noticeably improve reception and data speeds?

I'm sure there was some new tweaks to the radio and other things under the hood but I'm calling much of what is seen in updates a placebo effect when it comes to radio, data, signal..

I used to be a huge fan of switching radio's on my rooted devices back some time ago and it always seemed like no matter which radio software I flashed the end result was the same...

But if your satisfied with things then thats cool too :)

rjw

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site

They definitely tweaked the signal bars display to show more bars, but I can tell you at least in my case it doesn't translate into any improvements. I've always monitored my LTE Signal strength which is reported by SignalCheck Pro and running manually dialing *#0011# and I do not see any improvements (lower dBm reading for the RSRP value) in the readings at my home office nor at work but I do see more signal bars than were seen prior to Kit Kat update. So I would take it the changes with a grain of salt.

SolWgn

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

I noticed that too. When I shop at my local target I would normally drop edge. I was there yesterday after the update and i was rocking almost full LTE.

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Didn't Apple get caught in regards to lying about their bars when they were exclusively with AT&T? My question is, how is Samsung in the right in regards to showing you more bars than you really have right?

Note 3 (4.22) t-mobile

Last edited:

SirGeorgeKillian

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site

Downloading now. Have they fixed the stupid my magazine app?

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is it me or....did update noticeably improve reception and data speeds?

Did 4.2.2 update noticeably improve your tmobile reception and data speeds? Prior to update, my service was horrid like it was back 6 years ago when I was with this company. Which was the reason why I went to AT&T.

I took advantage of that ETF deal which is nothing but headaches so this update helped alittle....

Did you mean 4.4.2?

Maybe tmobile added or revamped a tower near you?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I have a ton more bars than usual. Don't know if it's any quicker, but it's a nice placebo. Lol

How bout battery life with you? Mine seems to be settling in a little better finally. Was atrocious the first day or two.

Frozen Corpse

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
[Tampa FL]

When I switched to t-mobile from AT&T back in early January , the data speed was horrible. I've had up to 4 - 5 dropped calls in a months time. All this happened in a very populated area, not in the boonies. I've noticed 4.4.2 has changed my phones ability to show me which type of data connection I'm using in any given area in Tampa; EDGE, 4G or 4G/LTE (1 to 2 bars max - 4.3). Everything seems to be the way it should've been since I rejoined t-mobile, my Note 3 consistently showing 4 to 5 4G/LTE bars.

Note 3 (4.2.2) T-mobile

LimuHead

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I DO have better signal since the kk update and it's not just a placebo of 'bar manipulation'.

The signal is noticeably stronger in places where I've used the phone before for streaming radio. Places where I expected to have a dropped signal are no longer dead.

bgbagz

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I noticed my speed and signal strength increased while in my home.... Very happy with new speeds!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Did you mean 4.4.2?

Maybe tmobile added or revamped a tower near you?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Yeah he meant 4.4.2 since the Note shipped with 4.3.. Would be odd to go backwards :p.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

I noticed that too. When I shop at my local target I would normally drop edge. I was there yesterday after the update and i was rocking almost full LTE.

I get the feeling with Target, they didn't WANT us to use the net inside it. They didn't want people to price check their stuff, or decide to use amazon instead. It could have been that the Targets around here have huge concrete walls, so signals couldn't get in anyways.

Tyler Lietz

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

I use to only get edge in stores that was so bad I had to walk out to look up anything. Now I get solid 4g. Even at home I use to get 1 to 2 bars. Now I get 4 to 5. I don't even use my wifi calling feature anymore. That and for some reason I don't receive text through wifi anymore.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile Note 3: Is it me or....did update noticeably improve reception and d...

I have noticed in places where I used to get one bar and my note 3 would drop to 4g from lte, has now started showing lte and 4 to 5 bars. Originally I thought is was fake, but I'm do a lot of speedtest and the results have typically risen on average 9 down. I have noticed sites load faster In those area as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney