Control GN3's Radio band?

LimuHead

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Is there any way to select which radio band the GN3 uses?

I ask because I just got home and my phone's reception was stuck on Edge and wouldn't switch to 4g or LTE. Usually the reception here is 3 to 4 bars on 4g or 2 to 3 bars on LTE (they're both faster than my wifi).

I was trying to use my phone as normal (email, facebook, news) but nothing would work. I ended up having to turn my phone's radio off & on again to get the data connection to switch from Edge. This has happened a couple of times.

So, is there any way to manually control which band the GN3 uses without having to 'reboot' the radio?

Am I asking the wrong question because the problem lies elsewhere?

ANY insight, wisdom, or commiseration is much appreciated!

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Is there any way to select which radio band the GN3 uses?

I ask because I just got home and my phone's reception was stuck on Edge and wouldn't switch to 4g or LTE. Usually the reception here is 3 to 4 bars on 4g or 2 to 3 bars on LTE (they're both faster than my wifi).

I was trying to use my phone as normal (email, facebook, news) but nothing would work. I ended up having to turn my phone's radio off & on again to get the data connection to switch from Edge. This has happened a couple of times.

So, is there any way to manually control which band the GN3 uses without having to 'reboot' the radio?

Am I asking the wrong question because the problem lies elsewhere?

ANY insight, wisdom, or commiseration is much appreciated!

Yes, it's really easy. Settings > Wireless & Networks > More > Mobile networks > Preferred Network Type

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

LimuHead

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks!

Here's where I ended up:

ave6e4u3.jpg

Is this the correct screen? If so, how do I force 4g or LTE reception?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

LimuHead

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Okay. Got it.

Thanks. I really appreciate your help!

Although it usually does, can someone please explain why the band on my phone sometimes doesn't automatically switch to 4g/lte when I get home? Why does my phone occasionally lock up on the Edge band?

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Okay. Got it.

Although it usually does, can someone please explain why the band on my phone sometimes doesn't automatically switch to 4g/lte when I get home? Why does my phone occasionally lock up on the Edge band?

because that area either in your house or around it sucks and edge is the strongest signal that your phone can lock onto

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Okay. Got it.

No problem.
If the area you were coming from had poor signal, it'll usually hang on to that for a while until you get to a better covered area.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

Here's where I ended up:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/ave6e4u3.jpg

Is this the correct screen? If so, how do I force 4g or LTE reception?

Out of the box, I was able to use "advanced signal status" to access the secret menu on my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3. However this was disabled in the latest update. You can root to get access to this menu.

Keep in mind that the tmobile variant maybe different, but you can try. There is an lte only mode on my phone. Keep in mind that lte only means only lte, nothing else.

uploadfromtaptalk1394292621628.jpg

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

LimuHead

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
You can toggle a specific band including LTE if you'd like by entering *#2263# from the Dial menu.

Cool! I'll look into that in the morning. Too late in the evening to be messing with the phone's settings.

Thanks much!

LimuHead

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
You can toggle a specific band including LTE if you'd like by entering *#2263# from the Dial menu.

Thank you!

Now I need to figure out what means what:

9unu6y6u.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1394411770426.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1394411770426.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 8

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members