T-Mobile Note 3: Do NOT download the Android 4.4 KitKat update!

Mark Stave

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Sure were problems with my card. I just signed up with T-Mobile with the Note 3 last Friday. Everything worked perfectly, after setting all the settings to my liking (SO MANY SETTINGS!!!), I used Kies to download and install the update to Kitkat. that went well and easily, except that none of my third party apps could write to the SDcard, couldn't control the files through any of my file manager (ES, Astro tried a few), couldn't install A2D pro, couldn't transfer files from internal card to SD etc. Researched the issue, found the fix that required root, confirmed from Google that the situation was intentional. I am an attorney who represents abused/neglected children in foster care, I can't keep my files on the cloud, I must be able to use my SD card so that files are kept confidential, and available even when I haven't a signal, or if the phone bricks. Marched down to the T-Mobile store and exchanged for a new Note 3, which I am not updating. REALLY don't care if I don't have the new notification colors, but am also REALLY irritated that I was not made aware of the changing usability, and that neither Google nor Samsung had any intention of advising me, as a customer, of that change.

Mark Stave

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
One issue that rewritten apps will still have is that if they are uninstalled - their folders go with them. If this is made clear to users so that we don't lose our data, then ok, maybe. I am still irritated with the fact that, even rewritten,my file managers will still not work - one can only manipulate them with a computer connection.

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do NOT download the Android 4.4 KitKat update!

At least half? What, half of the people who took the time to come here and complain about it? There's probably 10x that number of people for whom the update is providing a smooth experience, as it is for me.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
No offense bob, but the update hasn't really been pushed to users, only tech users have manually downloaded the update. Once in flux of users that download via OTA notice happens you'll start seeing more issues. I have four Note 3's and all four of them have the issues, 4/4!

And as others said we should have been notifed that SD card support was being modified severely?

msndrstood using power amp try to edit an ID3 tag, edit a file or move one. Also try to download lyrics or images for files.

5th

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site

Is there a way to roll back the update to 4.2 or 4.3????

Posted via Android Central App
Sorry there is no way to rollback to an earlier version of Android do to the fact that the firmware and baseband were updated. So even if you could go back it wouldn't function correctly. The phone has to be replaced if you want an older version. And if you just bought the $800 phone (Note 3), they are going to try and send you a used one to replace yours, and I simply won't have that! That would be like buying a brand new car and then having an issue with the transmission, so you bring it to the dealer and they tell you they can't fix it but they can give you a used car of the same make and model! (some other poor schmucks problem that the dealer eventually fixed and is now going to pawn off on you). B....S.... That wouldn't be tolerated there and I won't tolerate it here. My phone has never been opened, other than on the factory floor and I'm not about to get one that has. Cars are never the same after being taken apart after the factory and neither are phones.

Are you using the Note 3?

I know the guy is an @$$. It's not his phone that is unusable now! He posts in every forum, for every phone. And I don't know why others come into the T-Mobile Note 3 section and then complain about us complaining or needing help?

5th

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

No offense bob, but the update hasn't really been pushed to users, only tech users have manually downloaded the update. Once in flux of users that download via OTA notice happens you'll start seeing more issues. I have four Note 3's and all four of them have the issues, 4/4!

And as others said we should have been notifed that SD card support was being modified severely?

msndrstood using power amp try to edit an ID3 tag, edit a file or move one. Also try to download lyrics or images for files.

5th

Not sure who you are speaking for, but I got the update OTA from tmobile. I did not manually download anything

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site

Not sure who you are speaking for, but I got the update OTA from tmobile. I did not manually download anything

I'm sorry I should have been more clear. I didn't mean you downloaded anything yourself but you had to manually search for the update by going to Settings > About device > Software update to initiate the update download. Updates are usually released first to the server but with the parameters that only users who manually download (process I described above) can get the update. Usually the carrier has a set time (usually a week or two) when the release will be pushed out system wide or rolled out slowly to all devices so that all users will be forced or encouraged to update. So the release for the OTA to be pushed was sometime this week. So over the past week, people who have the update are those who searched for it themselves. Once the update is initiated system-wide their will be an influx of users with issues. So if people think there are a lot of people complaining with issues now, and the update is probably on less than 10% of T-Mobile Note 3 devices, wait until it opens up to 100%!

5th

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
then thats sumthin with ur device i was simply stating that my device doesnt have this issue and i have stock and 3rd party apps on my sd card and music and everything works fine

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way to roll back the update to 4.2 or 4.3????

From what I've read, no. Also, from what I gather, there are ways to block the update notifications, but it won't stop an eventual, forced update. I don't know if rooting will block that.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
I have all my music and photos on my SD card. I use Power Amp Pro and I can play any and all songs on the SD card. No problems with music or pictures after KK.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

If you were to discover a new music player in the app store you wanted to try, however, it sounds like you'd have to copy all your music to a separate directory, for it to work. Or the same thing with movies, or images. Alot of duplication.

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
then thats sumthin with ur device i was simply stating that my device doesnt have this issue and i have stock and 3rd party apps on my sd card and music and everything works fine
As I said before, "As boudicca said if you use the stock player you will be fine but if you use a third party you will still be able to hear your music but the music player app will not be able to edit and update ID3 tags (information about songs, album covers, lyrics), or move songs around, and some will even crash as they stored files on the SD card. This security issue is bogus ruse to get developers to move Google's way." This is a Google feature, not an issue with the KitKat ROM for T-Mobile. So if you have KitKat on your Note 3 then you have this. Try what I said above to see for yourself. And don't use stock apps to test as they will work. Use something like Player Pro or PowerAmp. Or Flixster to save movies to your SD card, or Xfinity app to save stuff to your SD card, or Vudu, or PocketBible! It can't be done, sorry!

5th

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
SamMobile has the KitKat firmware now, so I'm downloading that and I'm going to do a clean install of it via Odin and see what happens. Is everyone sure that I can't use Odin to go back to Jellybean? I'll report back how the flash went after and whether my issues were fixed?

Thanks,

5th

rottenmango

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I wish I had known about the SD card changes beforehand. I can no longer use uTorrent app the way I used to. Now I have to download to my phone, then move it to my SD. Not earth-shattering but a hassle.

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So has there not been an update addressing these concerns yet?

Toying with the idea of purchasing a Note 3 this Thursday and would very much like 4.4

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I guess I have that "one in a million" phone that's working perfect. I got the OTA notification on my device and upgraded. After it rebooted and everything was running, I rebooted into recovery and did a factory wipe. Rebooted, re-installed apps and accounts and it's been working fine. No battery issues, no lag.