T-Mobile Note 3: Do NOT download the Android 4.4 KitKat update!

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
My goal with this post was to get users together rather than a million separate posts to talk about their issues with KitKat. Now that T-Mobile is sending out this update to the masses automatically we should see an influx of users and issues. Before users had to manually search for and download the update and we still had a ton of complaints so imagine how many will be here when every Note 3 owner with T-Mobile in the US has it! I'm happy they are still releasing it nationwide now as this will mean more people are affected and will force T-Mobile to do something quickly! Please also go to the link below in the T-Mobile Support Forums and let T-Mobile know if you are having issues!

Do NOT download the Android 4.4 KitKat update! | T-Mobile Support

As the title says, DO NOT download the Android 4.4 KitKat update if you want to keep your Note 3 usable! This update is riddled with serve phone disabling bugs and removes the ability for apps to write to the SD card in your phone! If WiFi calling is necessary then stay away! The update will kill your battery by half or more (I used to get two days or a little less and now I'm lucky if I make 8 hours). The update was nominally under the hood updates and nothing really changed other than for the bad. There is now a 5 bar signal indicator (which will make your phone look like it has a better signal as the one bar you used to get in your home will now be two bars. The keyboard is darker and has a few new emoji and emoji are the same throughout all apps (hangouts now uses the traditional Samsung emoji rather than a complete different Google set), icons in the notification bar are now white and the font is Roboto Light vs the old Samsung font. Also persistent notifications no longer have their own section in the notification bar (they are now bunched with everything, EG: Music apps, remote controls, etc), which is annoying at best. That is about it... So the chances are you'll have a million headaches over white icons and a few emoji. DON'T UPDATE!

Long list of detailed issues: Huge battery drain (with Android system and Android OS taking the top two spots next to screen time), GPS issues (takes forever to lock, sometimes will show me at old locations, never shows exact location, always a few hundred feet from spot EG: while driving it looks like I'm on the road parallel to me), S-Pen sensitivity issues (where the S-Pen has to be pressed very hard to get the phone to write on the screen), unable to come out of sleep mode (when you press power button fails to turn the screen back on), data connection drops constantly and slow speeds via data networks, auto brightness issues (auto brightness has to be selected and then unselected to make it work correctly), proximity sensor staying on 24-7 (restart fixes), screen freezing & random restarts (sometimes the phone comes back after a while sometimes a battery pull or soft reset is necessary),WiFi Calling issues (works for the first half hour and then calls and texts stop coming in but the phone looks like normal but you miss call and texts and once you leave WiFi or turn it off you get hit with all your missed texts), WiFi calling also when leaving WiFi area the phone is unable to switch the normal cell radio back on and I get a no smoking sign where the signal should be and I am unable to make calls or text, only a phone reset fixes it) and finally writing to the SD card via third party apps, I know this is a "feature" as Google calls it but the SD card needs to be modified so it can be written to (KitKat be darned Samsung needs to find a way as it can be done if you root).

SD card info for those who don't know: Google changed the SD card policy in KitKat where only system apps can write to your SD card (if you phone has one). Their goal is to stop manufacturers from including them in devices anyway as they say their speeds range and make the overall Android experience suffer. This is BS and makes them more like Apple than anything. They also don't want you to have capacitive buttons or button on your phone in general and they want to do away with removable batteries too (dumbing down for the least common denominator) but that's for another day. Now you may think you don't use the DS card in your phone that much but I beg to differ. Also what's the point of having a 64GB or 128GB microSD only to have it do nothing! With KitKat the SD card can not be written to by third party apps, only system (Samsung) and Google apps. So if you use an app to download music it won't work, if you put your music on your SD card and want to edit the song title or ID3 info won't work, if you save flixster/xfinity/vudu movies to your device it won't work, if you download pics from a internet browser or use a wallpaper app picker, won't work, want to use a file manager to manage your files... too bad! Hell some apps simply used the SD card to cache information which can no longer be done. Some apps will simply go to internal memory while others will not function altogether or crash. If Google wants to disable SD write access they should stop manufacturers from making new phones with it, simply not disable the SD card currently on devices! T-Mobile should have to give us all our money back as they said nothing about this update disabling our SD cards before the update?! We don't have it too bad on the Note 3 as we have 32GB of memory but phones like the s4 and s5 will have less than 8GB (16GB total and 8GB for Samsung Software) for movies, games, music and apps! WTF?!

The battery drain issues supposedly comes from a bug in KitKat which runs the CPU in the background for the camera-daemon. And force closing the camera app or associated apps does nothing to fix it. Users on the Note 3 and Nexus 5, or any device running a Snapdragon 800 (+)(credit: Mostafa Hefny). This update will halve your battery life on your Note 3 so it's best not to update if you already haven't.

After doing T-Mobiles recommendations of a SIM pull, battery pull, reset, and finally a hard reset (master reset which deletes everything on your device) my issues are right back. They wanted to send me a replacement (used mind you) and I refused. My phone is in mint condition and worked fine the day before the update and I didn't spent $800 (bought outright) for a used phone! If they offer me a new one with Android 4.3 I will take it and I'm writing an article for consumerist and a few other outlets now. I really can't wait till they push this update to all the Note 3 owners as that will be the only way to get them to fix it ASAP! I have two Note 3's on my account and my parents have two on their account in another state and all 4 have these issues! The OTA push should be happening today or in the next few days! Then more people will have the issue and we will see some movement on the issues. And T-Mobile still won't admit there is an issue but they will have to once every Note 3 owner gets the update. Many haven't experienced the bug because they don't use WiFi calling and I believe this is the catalyst for many of the signal issues.

Please also go to the link below in the T-Mobile Support Forums and let T-Mobile know if you are having issues!

Do NOT download the Android 4.4 KitKat update! | T-Mobile Support

5th

Last edited by a moderator:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: Do NOT download the Android 4.4 KitKat update!

Lol your funny. Oh no the sky is falling. LMAO

Been using KitKat for a month now and no ill effects but I don't use the SD card other than the way KitKat enables it.

lazers

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

This must be for note 3 only :). I recently got kitkat in htc one and no battery drain or ill issues at all.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Has a clearing of the system cache solved any of those bugs? Sure it won't help the SD card, but the battery drain might be helped.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site

This must be for note 3 only :). I recently got kitkat in htc one and no battery drain or ill issues at all.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Note 3 forum...

Lol your funny. Oh no the sky is falling. LMAO

Been using KitKat for a month now and no ill effects but I don't use the SD card other than the way KitKat enables it.
And yes it makes the phone nonfuctional so yes for those who have a note 3 and the issue the sky is falling. ****...

Has a clearing of the system cache solved any of those bugs? Sure it won't help the SD card, but the battery drain might be helped.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
Nope... I've done a hard reset and it didn't fix any of the issues. Plus I have two Note 3's on one account and my parents have two Note 3's and they have have KitKat and the bugs too.

5th

Android4life47

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

That's why I never update till I know what is going on with the new OS. I'm still on jelly bean and will stay on it I mean K.K is no big deal there is really nothing big about it.......

sent from my beast the note3

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

That's why I never update till I know what is going on with the new OS. I'm still on jelly bean and will stay on it I mean K.K is no big deal there is really nothing big about it.......

Exactly do your research and if there isn't anything about an update you will make use of don't take it. The new OS isn't a requirement for anything yet.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site

My understanding of the sd card thing, is that if samsung allowed 3rd party apps to read & write to any folder, that is some kind of security issue. The other stuff you mention may well be true too, mind you. Fwiw, I don't intend to update to kitkat as I like my phone's current functionality.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Battery for me is way better than before. Love the new font and notification bar. No more display on/off lag..... I heartily recommend updating to Kitkat!!!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Android4life47

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

Isn't the reason some of us brought an SD card was so we could write to it?? I know that everybody has their own preference if life but I do not see the reason to do an update just because it has new fonts and notification bar.. I'm sorry but I like saving what ever I wish to my SD card...

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site

Battery for me is way better than before. Love the new font and notification bar. No more display on/off lag..... I heartily recommend updating to Kitkat!!!

I'm glad you aren't having the issues bob and I hope you don't. The battery and WiFi calling are my biggest issues. And you are right the lag pressing and turning off the phone is gone. But how can you recommend an update where at least half the users are having severe issues? That isn't right...

Isn't the reason some of us brought an SD card was so we could write to it?? I know that everybody has their own preference if life but I do not see the reason to do an update just because it has new fonts and notification bar.. I'm sorry but I like saving what ever I wish to my SD card...

Exactly, and they didn't even tell us this would happen. I mean if the device didn't come with an SD card this wouldn't be a problem but you can't take away a few months into it's release. What are S4 & S5 users going to do with only 8GB for everything!? I mean it's like going back to the OG EVO days and little to no space! Security my ***! As someone else I read said find me one post where someone lost their files from a rouge app in the play store! BS, this is just another way to mold the ecosystem into Google's dream (no capacitive buttons, removable storage or batteries)!

The battery drain is really bad!
Very much so, I went from two days or a day and a half with heavy use to less than 8 hours with only two hours screen on time! WTF?!

5TH

dctokyo

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

My phone has a SD slot, so under Kit kat, does it mean that all the music that I have on it will not play? I hope not, the reason I got the phone was that I was able to save music and pictures to it and if I need to format my phone it did not affect my card,

jian9007

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

Stock apps can still read and write music and pictures to the SD card. Some 3rd party apps that have been updated can write to a specific folder on the SD card and read it as well. So your stock camera and music apps can still do everything they did previously since they have the necessary permissions.

boudicca00

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
If I had multiple apps that I used to play media files, or accessed images, I'm SOL, right? If you're using stock apps only, you probably wouldn't have much to notice, but then again why would you have bought a phone with such potential power. It's like buying a ferrari, and never taking left turns or going over 10 mph.

ybcthanerd

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
ive never seen this issues my battery is still pretty great, i have plenty of apps written to my sd card that are not stock apps, i have never had a random restart, i did have a lil freezing and lagging but after i did a restart i was fine. i dont use wifi calling so i cant speak on that tha only issue i have is sometimes my data doesnt work but that seems more like a signal issue.

FifthElement

May 23, 2012
Visit site
If I had multiple apps that I used to play media files, or accessed images, I'm SOL, right? If you're using stock apps only, you probably wouldn't have much to notice, but then again why would you have bought a phone with such potential power. It's like buying a ferrari, and never taking left turns or going over 10 mph.
Exactly! Our phones came with workable SD cards and we should still have usable SDcard after the update.

ive never seen this issues my battery is still pretty great, i have plenty of apps written to my sd card that are not stock apps, i have never had a random restart, i did have a lil freezing and lagging but after i did a restart i was fine. i dont use wifi calling so i cant speak on that tha only issue i have is sometimes my data doesnt work but that seems more like a signal issue.
I can provide you a list of over 10 apps I use myself that either crash now or simply don't run well after the update due to the SD card issue.

My phone has a SD slot, so under Kit kat, does it mean that all the music that I have on it will not play? I hope not, the reason I got the phone was that I was able to save music and pictures to it and if I need to format my phone it did not affect my card,
As boudicca said if you use the stock player you will be fine but if you use a third party you will still be able to hear your music but the music player app will not be able to edit and update ID3 tags (information about songs, album covers, lyrics), or move songs around, and some will even crash as they stored files on the SD card. This security issue is bogus ruse to get developers to move Google's way.

Stock apps can still read and write music and pictures to the SD card. Some 3rd party apps that have been updated can write to a specific folder on the SD card and read it as well. So your stock camera and music apps can still do everything they did previously since they have the necessary permissions.
Specific folder... do you have your downloads, music, books in specific folders? So if you use multiple music apps you have to have your music collection copied to 20 music directories, same for books, movies, etc. BOGUS! And sorry if I mistakenly thought you were defending the new SD policy rather than simply explaining it. It completely absurd!

5th

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

I have all my music and photos on my SD card. I use Power Amp Pro and I can play any and all songs on the SD card. No problems with music or pictures after KK.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! Our phones came with workable SD cards and we should still have usable SDcard after the update.

I can provide you a list of over 10 apps I use myself that either crash now or simply don't run well after the update due to the SD card issue.

As boudicca said if you use the stock player you will be fine but if you use a third party you will still be able to hear your music but the music player app will not be able to edit and update ID3 tags (information about songs, album covers, lyrics), or move songs around, and some will even crash as they stored files on the SD card. This security issue is bogus ruse to get developers to move Google's way.

Specific folder... do you have your downloads, music, books in specific folders? So if you use multiple music apps you have to have your music collection copied to 20 music directories, same for books, movies, etc. BOGUS! And sorry if I mistakenly thought you were defending the new SD policy rather than simply explaining it. It completely absurd!

5th
I was unhappy about the SD card changes in Kitkat until I read up on the changes. AC has a really good article that has the details about the issues with SD card support before Kitkat. KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central
Now, I think the change is good, really it is the way Google should have designed the support from the beginning. Your apps need to be updated to follow the new Google guideline to only write to specific folders the app manages and not write all over the phone. Yes it is a pain, but apps that were well written don't have problems. Just because an OS lets you do something does not make it a good idea. Bottom line, apps can still write to the SD card if the follow the new requirements.

bobsacomano

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

I'm glad you aren't having the issues bob and I hope you don't. The battery and WiFi calling are my biggest issues. And you are right the lag pressing and turning off the phone is gone. But how can you recommend an update where at least half the users are having severe issues? That isn't right...

5TH

At least half? What, half of the people who took the time to come here and complain about it? There's probably 10x that number of people for whom the update is providing a smooth experience, as it is for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude