Writing to SD card

jjfan71

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
So, I'm under the impression now with the kit Kat update, that we can no longer put our own music on our SD card, or anything else for that matter. So, my question is, is it still possible to put your own music on your phone, and if so, where do we put it?? Thanx for any help!!!

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You're under the wrong impression. You can put it on the SD Card and put it wherever you like. Just don't use the stock music player.

Android4life47

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
You would have to use your computer using a sd card reader and just copy your music folder and paste it into the sd card

Sent from my beast the note3

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
You would have to use your computer using a sd card reader and just copy your music folder and paste it into the sd card

Sent from my beast the note3

You can also move files on your phone storage to the SD card or from other folders on the card. The majority of information about Kit Kat and SD Cards being spread around is not true.

jjfan71

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
You're under the wrong impression. You can put it on the SD Card and put it wherever you like. Just don't use the stock music player.
i put them on my card and set a few as ringtones. They played fine, and now it says it doesn't support that format. If I go to the player and play them, the samsung tune plays. Any idea on what's going on??

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
i put them on my card and set a few as ringtones. They played fine, and now it says it doesn't support that format. If I go to the player and play them, the samsung tune plays. Any idea on what's going on??

Can you clarify? When did they work and when did get the unsupported message? What player are you trying to play them in and what format are they?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have seen people say this.
Are there some music files that wont work. I moved to KK 8 weeks ago. I only drag/sync lossless wmp/wmv? (ripped cd) albums from my computer via usb. I'm old!
It works fine and I have added more this way since KK, all on the sd card and using the stock music player.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I have seen people say this.
Are there some music files that wont work. I moved to KK 8 weeks ago. I only drag/sync lossless wmp/wmv? (ripped cd) albums from my computer via usb. I'm old!
It works fine and I have added more this way since KK, all on the sd card and using the stock music player.

I've had it not add certain music/audio files from my SD Card. Since I don't actually use the stock music player I didn't bother to determine exactly why some files are added and some not, although I did re-copy the files and tried another location on the card with the same result. The other music players I use see all the files.

So that's why I personally suggested not using it in this case to eliminate any unnecessary problems. But of course if it's working for everything you use it for, as in your case, then that's all that really matters for any particular person.

The OP can try using the stock player if that's the one they prefer, but if they encounter problems, I would try a different player first before assuming what they are trying to do is something that won't work. I've personally used Rocket Music Player and Poweramp with none of the issues I've had with the stock player.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I have 64gb on my Note 3 and 10.1 2014, loaded with my music, pictures and movies/videos. Not one problem. Also, I used the stock music player, and I use poweramp. Still no problem. Also, I have kk 4.4.2.
First off, I format the cards in their devices. Also, I don't use downloaded media. My music, movies and vids come off CDs, DVDs, etc.. Some downloaded media will not allowed to be moved to the sd card..Also, sometimes the card is bad, or it is formated to the wrong format.

darkmage619

May 9, 2014
Visit site
So, I'm under the impression now with the kit Kat update, that we can no longer put our own music on our SD card, or anything else for that matter. So, my question is, is it still possible to put your own music on your phone, and if so, where do we put it?? Thanx for any help!!!

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

The issue is fully explained in the link above. Most third party apps can no longer write to the SD card in Kitkat. This was billed as a 'security' fix but it was a fix no one was asking for. The update really breaks several apps like My Backup Pro which allowed me to store app backups on my SD card. Now I have to use the cloud or back the apps up on my devices internal storage which makes no sense if I was planning on factory resetting my phone. There are also stories about the note 3 update ruining the battery life and breaking other features of the phone. On the positive you get a new font! Avoid Kitkat at all costs!

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
..... Most third party apps can no longer write to the SD card in Kitkat. This was billed as a 'security' fix but it was a fix no one was asking for. The update really breaks several apps like My Backup Pro which allowed me to store app backups on my SD card. Now I have to use the cloud or back the apps up on my devices internal storage which makes no sense if I was planning on factory resetting my phone. There are also stories about the note 3 update ruining the battery life and breaking other features of the phone. On the positive you get a new font! Avoid Kitkat at all costs!

And your post is a great example of what I was referring to when I said, "The majority of information about Kit Kat and SD Cards being spread around is not true. "

darkmage619

May 9, 2014
Visit site
And your post is a great example of what I was referring to when I said, "The majority of information about Kit Kat and SD Cards being spread around is not true. "

Really? What about my post that has an actual link to this very site was untrue friend? I know first hand that KitKat broke my app. KitKat is horrible.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Really? What about my post that has an actual link to this very site was untrue friend? I know first hand that KitKat broke my app. KitKat is horrible.

The majority of what you wrote is untrue. It does not stop 3rd party apps from writing to the SD card - period. Untrue. If the paid app you mentioned is not working properly you should contact the developer and insist they fix it. They are 100% capable of fixing it. This is not prevented by KitKat - it is only because the dev you gave money to doesn't care to support his product and paid users properly. Write a rant against them since that is where the blame belongs.

As far ranting again google providing a security fix that "no one asked for" - what kind of company would you want making your OS that would wait until they got barraged with requests to fix a security hole before acting on it? That is NOT how you deal with security issues - unless you want to end up in the position Target recently got itself and its customers into. Google had a responsibility to fix it before it blew up it its customers faces.

And then you go on to mention vague sourceless "stories" also known as myths, baseless rumors, and sometimes outright lies about horrible things KitKat has done to imaginary phones. Again, proving my point.

Now I don't care if you or anyone does or doesn't load KitKat on their phone and if someone likes the operation of JellyBean better then they can do what they want with their phone. There are differences between the two and some people like KitKat better and some like Jellybean better. There are absolutely not the dire consequences you and others are ranting about if you upgrade to KitKat. Like I said, and like you unwittingly proved, again I reiterate - the majority of information about Kit Kat and SD Cards being spread around is not true. It doesn't help your cause to spread misinformation. Also, you injected this whole discussion in a thread that was not about whether to upgrade and there are several threads dedicated to that already on here.

darkmage619

May 9, 2014
Visit site
The majority of what you wrote is untrue. It does not stop 3rd party apps from writing to the SD card - period. Untrue. If the paid app you mentioned is not working properly you should contact the developer and insist they fix it. They are 100% capable of fixing it. This is not prevented by KitKat - it is only because the dev you gave money to doesn't care to support his product and paid users properly. Write a rant against them since that is where the blame belongs.

As far ranting again google providing a security fix that "no one asked for" - what kind of company would you want making your OS that would wait until they got barraged with requests to fix a security hole before acting on it? That is NOT how you deal with security issues - unless you want to end up in the position Target recently got itself and its customers into. Google had a responsibility to fix it before it blew up it its customers faces.

And then you go on to mention vague sourceless "stories" also known as myths, baseless rumors, and sometimes outright lies about horrible things KitKat has done to imaginary phones. Again, proving my point.

Now I don't care if you or anyone does or doesn't load KitKat on their phone and if someone likes the operation of JellyBean better then they can do what they want with their phone. There are differences between the two and some people like KitKat better and some like Jellybean better. There are absolutely not the dire consequences you and others are ranting about if you upgrade to KitKat. Like I said, and like you unwittingly proved, again I reiterate - the majority of information about Kit Kat and SD Cards being spread around is not true. It doesn't help your cause to spread misinformation. Also, you injected this whole discussion in a thread that was not about whether to upgrade and there are several threads dedicated to that already on here.

I have seen the results of KitKat and I know its bad news. I've read countless stories of peoples phones being messed up after installing it including mine. No one needed their cards restricted especially without the owners permission. You like your phone shut down? Good for you. I will continue to tell me people the consequences of 'updating' their phone to the abomination that is KitKat.

Last edited:

jjfan71

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I posted earlier in the wrong forum. I spoke with Samsung today, and the tech told me that class 10 SD cards are too fast sometimes and could cause the dreaded "blank SD card or unsupported files" notification. He said class 6 or below should fix this issue. Low and behold, IT WORKED!!!! I just loaded all my tones and music back to my phone and all is back to normal. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, there's a "c" on your SD card. Inside that is the number designating the class. It's VERY SMALL, so you may wanna use a magnifying glass. Hope this works furthers as well!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech