Unlocked International Note 3 (3G, not LTE): Will it work?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
For some reason I thought of the 'Will it blend?' series of videos when writing the title... But I digress.

So, I'm traveling to San Diego this weekend to do some apartment hunting (and plan to eventually move in next month). More specifically, the Carlsbad/Oceanside/Vista/SanMarcos/Encinitas area. So, my conundrum is that, no matter how many hours I spent with "Customer Service" over the phone (might have been only 20 minutes, but it seemed like hours to me), I couldn't get them to understand that what I needed to know is which frequencies they use for their HSPA+ network and if my phone would work.

I know it won't get LTE,and I'm really trying to avoid having to buy another phone if I move there (I travel a lot, so T-Mo's plans with global data roaming are a no brainer), so does any of you guys know if my phone could get decent speeds while in California?

Here are the specs for my phone:
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850 / 900 / 1.800 / 1.900 MHz) support
HSPA+ (850 / 900 / 1.900 / 2.100 MHz) support

Thanks!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
San Diego is a refarmed area so you should get h+ on 1900mhz. With that said you seem to be going beyond San Diego proper,so it is unknown how far they extended it.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The term 're-framed' helped a lot :) Carlsbad is EXPLICITLY stated in a T-Mo document about this. I'll still try to convince a rep to let me try a SIM card before I buy.

Thanks!

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
For some reason I thought of the 'Will it blend?' series of videos when writing the title... But I digress.

So, I'm traveling to San Diego this weekend to do some apartment hunting (and plan to eventually move in next month). More specifically, the Carlsbad/Oceanside/Vista/SanMarcos/Encinitas area. So, my conundrum is that, no matter how many hours I spent with "Customer Service" over the phone (might have been only 20 minutes, but it seemed like hours to me), I couldn't get them to understand that what I needed to know is which frequencies they use for their HSPA+ network and if my phone would work.

I know it won't get LTE,and I'm really trying to avoid having to buy another phone if I move there (I travel a lot, so T-Mo's plans with global data roaming are a no brainer), so does any of you guys know if my phone could get decent speeds while in California?

Here are the specs for my phone:
GSM / GPRS / EDGE (850 / 900 / 1.800 / 1.900 MHz) support
HSPA+ (850 / 900 / 1.900 / 2.100 MHz) support

Thanks!

I'm not a tmo user (Verizon) but I saw you're moving to my area and wanted to say welcome! My husband and I live in Oceanside but I've also lived in OC, vista, carlsbad, san marcos and Escondido. :)

Move here from Scotland 6 yrs ago and fell in love with it haha

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I just looked at some apartments and so far it looks like I'll be moving to the edges of Vista or Oceanside. Vista place has a fireplace and AC but only 1 bedroom. Oceanside one has 2 bedrooms and a bit more patio, but no AC and no fireplace (and a bit further from work). Can't decide! Haha.

Oh! And by the way, I stopped by a T-Mobile store and the guy there was SUPER helpful and let me try his own SIM card. Voilá! HSPA+ works! He even gave me all the details I needed to get a new 'contract' without having prior US credit.

sarkycow

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I just looked at some apartments and so far it looks like I'll be moving to the edges of Vista or Oceanside. Vista place has a fireplace and AC but only 1 bedroom. Oceanside one has 2 bedrooms and a bit more patio, but no AC and no fireplace (and a bit further from work). Can't decide! Haha.

Oh! And by the way, I stopped by a T-Mobile store and the guy there was SUPER helpful and let me try his own SIM card. Voilá! HSPA+ works! He even gave me all the details I needed to get a new 'contract' without having prior US credit.

Not sure how familiar you are with all the areas. If you'd like some help on good areas and areas to avoid feel free to send me a wee email sarkycow@gmail.com ...hopefully that email address will show! Ha

I've moved around a lot in the 6 years I've lived here! Haha so I know my way around.

Anyways ...welcome again! Glad you got your tmo issue sorted :)

Sarks.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo