04-10-2013 08:37 PM
81 1234
tools
    Who said anything about getting a 600 plus buck phone for 100? Your still paying 579 (plus tax) for the device, plus the monthly plan cost for 24 months. At least with AT&T and Verizon, you get the device for 199 (plus tax), then the monthly plan for 24 months. Pretty easy math to me. Paying that much with T-MO, you might as well suck it up and pay full retail and not be locked into a contract.
    Yeah I much rather finance it from the vendor. And not a carrier and pay way cheaper monthly rate. It's the same BS, but just under a different name lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    04-01-2013 02:34 AM
    It's not just $99. That's the upfront cost. You also have to pay $20 per month to cover the cost of the phone in addition to monthly service.
    While saving $40-$80/month off the other carriers.
    AZDROIDX likes this.
    04-02-2013 06:27 PM
    True enough... but I don't think anyone has asked if you buy the GS4 for $99, AND are NOT on a contract, but decide to leave after say 6 months... do you really think there is no early termination in some form??? I'm absolutely sure you are going to have to pay the remaining balance on what you owe for the phone... think about it.
    At least with T-Mo you're able to leave after 6 months.
    04-02-2013 06:29 PM
    What people don't understand here is that T-Mobile is the good guy. Yes, they're trying to trick you, but the service is still much cheaper. Plus, there isn't any contract. Here's an example comparing the four carriers with an S4 for 2 years. Let's assume the phone is $199 on-contract for the big three.

Plans

T-Mobile: Unlimited, unthrottled everything
    Sprint: Unlimited, unthrottled everything
    AT&T: Unlimited mins and text, 10GB data
    Verizon: Unlimited mins and text, 10GB data

Price

T-Mobile: $99+$20/month (phone)+$70/month (plan)=$2259
    Sprint: $199+$110/month=$2739
    AT&T: $199+$150/month=$3799
    Verizon: $199+$140/month=$3559.
    04-02-2013 06:36 PM
    So you're really paying 579 for the device. 20 bones a month for 24 months, plus the 99 down payment.

Bend over and grab your ankles.
    Does anyone know if it is $579 flat or will we be charged tax as well?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    04-02-2013 06:56 PM
    There's still a contract with T-Mobile. You still have to sign your name on a contract that says you're going to pay the phone off with monthly payments for 24 mths or if you cancel before the contract is up that you'll pay for the phone until its paid in full. They're not just going to take your word for it and have no way of holding you accountable. Different name, same game as already stated. You're still tied down for 2 years, only difference is T-Mobile has a little more clever way of hiding the contract. The phone is the contract instead of giving you an contract right there on the spot.

So yeah, it's better to buy unlocked and then get a plan that way you're not actually tied down to T-Mobile.
    04-02-2013 07:05 PM
    There's still a contract with T-Mobile. You still have to sign your name on a contract that says you're going to pay the phone off with monthly payments for 24 mths or if you cancel before the contract is up that you'll pay for the phone until its paid in full.
    You actually have to pay for the phone in full after you cancel. There is no option to keep paying payments.

If I cancel my service, what happens to my Equipment Installment Plan balance?
    If you elect to cancel service, all remaining installment charges will appear on your final bill.
    Equipment Installment Plan: Billing Support | T-Mobile
    04-02-2013 10:55 PM
    In reality it's 90 bucks + tax if you want everything unlimited. Which brings you to 100-105. Which is the same thing if you go with one of the other carriers but it's not. 99 instead of 249.99(at&t) but capped at the tiers, and no Contract. You still have to sign a "contract" for the phone but not the plan. It is still a better option because it is unlimited and the phone is only 99.

04-03-2013 12:55 AM
    In reality it's 90 bucks + tax if you want everything unlimited. Which brings you to 100-105. Which is the same thing if you go with one of the other carriers but it's not. 99 instead of 249.99(at&t) but capped at the tiers, and no Contract. You still have to sign a "contract" for the phone but not the plan. It is still a better option because it is unlimited and the phone is only 99.

What T-Mobile's phones are to T-Mobile under this new plan, is what contracts are to the other carriers. The phone is the contract. You still have to sign on for two years and you still have to pay an early termination fee if you break the contract. The phone is $99 but they end up getting nearly around the same amount for the phone as other carriers because of the $20 monthly charge. You aren't saving money because of the $99, you're saving money because of the plan. No one else is offering unlimited everything at the low price of $70.
    04-03-2013 01:34 AM
    What T-Mobile's phones are to T-Mobile under this new plan, is what contracts are to the other carriers. The phone is the contract. You still have to sign on for two years and you still have to pay an early termination fee if you break the contract. The phone is $99 but they end up getting nearly around the same amount for the phone as other carriers because of the $20 monthly charge. You aren't saving money because of the $99, you're saving money because of the plan. No one else is offering unlimited everything at the low price of $70.
    You dont get my point. Its 90 dollars + tax including the "monthly payment" of the phone. I clearly stated that you're not signing a contract on the plan but the phone, if you decide to leave T-Mobile you're still liable for the remainder of the phone price.

If you do the math it is cheaper to go that route because 99 dollars down. Plus 90 a month (including the monthly fee) + taxes is better than 249.99(at&t price) 2 year contract price + the same monthly plan, and you're not tied up in a contract and when you do want to switch all you do is pay the remainder of the phone.

Don't get confused. I know what I'm talking about.

You pretty much are saving 150 bucks and have everything unlimited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    04-03-2013 03:00 AM
    I look at it this way, $99 down and I can pay off my phone as soon as I want. Send a extra $100 here and there and it paid off in no time. There by not having to be on contract for the whole two years. I can switch carriers or get a new phone and my month bill drops a little.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums
    AZDROIDX likes this.
    04-03-2013 11:28 AM
    You dont get my point. Its 90 dollars + tax including the "monthly payment" of the phone. I clearly stated that you're not signing a contract on the plan but the phone, if you decide to leave T-Mobile you're still liable for the remainder of the phone price.

If you do the math it is cheaper to go that route because 99 dollars down. Plus 90 a month (including the monthly fee) + taxes is better than 249.99(at&t price) 2 year contract price + the same monthly plan, and you're not tied up in a contract and when you do want to switch all you do is pay the remainder of the phone.

Don't get confused. I know what I'm talking about.

You pretty much are saving 150 bucks and have everything unlimited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    You might want to reconfigure your math now from the $249 point. I get your point and I'm not confused, we're basically saying the same things.

But I can rest easier at night knowing that you know what you're doing. Thanks.
    04-03-2013 12:35 PM
    FYI for all the above asking if there are taxes after the $99, yes and it will be taxes based on the FULL RETAIL price. I just changes my Tmobile plan (1000 Classic) for my 3 kids and went ahead and ordered a Nexus 4 at $49 for my son and total was closer to $100 for it. And it does have a fine print saying taxes are paid upfront based on RETAIL PRICE. I'll be getting an S4 for my daughter too as soon as that hits Tmobile.
    04-03-2013 06:18 PM
    I look at it this way, $99 down and I can pay off my phone as soon as I want. Send a extra $100 here and there and it paid off in no time. There by not having to be on contract for the whole two years. I can switch carriers or get a new phone and my month bill drops a little.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums
    Or just buy it outright and be done with it.
    04-03-2013 09:16 PM
    What people don't understand here is that T-Mobile is the good guy. Yes, they're trying to trick you, but the service is still much cheaper. Plus, there isn't any contract. Here's an example comparing the four carriers with an S4 for 2 years. Let's assume the phone is $199 on-contract for the big three.

Plans

T-Mobile: Unlimited, unthrottled everything
    Sprint: Unlimited, unthrottled everything
    AT&T: Unlimited mins and text, 10GB data
    Verizon: Unlimited mins and text, 10GB data

Price

T-Mobile: $99+$20/month (phone)+$70/month (plan)=$2259
    Sprint: $199+$110/month=$2739
    AT&T: $199+$150/month=$3799
    Verizon: $199+$140/month=$3559.

Who on earth pays that much on ATT? I surely would not. I do not know anyone who pay that much for their bill...With free mobile to mobile and rollover minutes, who needs unlimited minutes? I have unlimited LTE and almost 3000 roll over minutes that I will never use. Also have a corporate discount. My last bill was $69.88 complete. Nothing against T mobile but not everyone gets ripped a new one by ATT... so $1039 for me when I get the S4 yeah!
    Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile is officially getting the Galaxy S4 on May 1 for  Down Payment-screenshot_2013-04-03-22-28-46.png  
    04-03-2013 11:33 PM
    Who on earth pays that much on ATT? I surely would not. I do not know anyone who pay that much for their bill...With free mobile to mobile and rollover minutes, who has unlimited minutes? I have unlimited LTE and almost 3000 roll over minutes that I will never use. Also have a corporate discount. My last bill was $69.88 complete. Nothing against T mobile but not everyone gets ripped a new one by ATT... so $1039 for me when I get the S4 yeah!
    You probably don't have unlimited Internet if you do. You're one of the lucky ones, if you had no company and you needed unlimited everything tmobile is the cheapest option. 70 a month. At&t would be about 85 bucks plus tax and that's if you get 1GB of Internet. Your situation may be different from others but If i weren't provided a phone from work I would definitely go to tmobile.

04-04-2013 03:43 AM
    Who on earth pays that much on ATT? I surely would not. I do not know anyone who pay that much for their bill...With free mobile to mobile and rollover minutes, who has unlimited minutes? I have unlimited LTE and almost 3000 roll over minutes that I will never use. Also have a corporate discount. My last bill was $69.88 complete. Nothing against T mobile but not everyone gets ripped a new one by ATT... so $1039 for me when I get the S4 yeah!
    **correction**
    My company does not pay for my bill but since I'm involved with at&t I get it for much much cheaper.
    My bill is 46 bucks that includes unlimited minutes text and 20GB of data with hotspot. If I were a regular customer I would pay about 200 or more with this plan

04-04-2013 03:47 AM
    **correction**
    My company does not pay for my bill but since I'm involved with at&t I get it for much much cheaper.
    My bill is 46 bucks that includes unlimited minutes text and 20GB of data with hotspot. If I were a regular customer I would pay about 200 or more with this plan

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/04/8ygasety.jpg

I do have unlimited data- or 5 GB which I have never used more than 2.5. My company does not pay the bill either. They provide a phone for me, an iPhone 5 on Verizon. We can actually pick between Verizon and AT&T and I pick Verizon so I can have AT&T and Verizon with me for maximum coverage when I travel. Also have a Verizon LTE jet pack hotspot through work. I have had the discount with AT&T for at least 12 or so years maybe longer.

You have a great deal on AT&T which proves my point that many people on AT&T do not pay the full price on plans. My wife has t mobile and it works fine in DFW. It is not as good when we travel as she has had to use my phones periodically. I think with taxes she pays more than I do so take this rate plan info with a grain of salt. (not saying these are not the rates, only saying not many pay these rate)

Again nothing against t mobile but when I saw the rate plan prices above, I just wanted to respond. Maybe if I were paying 100 % out of pocket I might consider t mobile but I am happy with my deal.
    04-04-2013 07:44 AM
    I think it's silly to compare to the unlimited plans, but even cheapskates like me come out ahead:

AT&T: 450 minutes, 300 MB, unlimited text (minimum text option without per-use charges): $79.99 => $2119
    T-Mobile: Unlimited minutes, 500 MB, unlimited text, phone payments: $70.00 => $1779

2.5 Yr AT&T: $2599
    2.5 Yr T-Mobile: $2079

And with T-Mobile, I have lower upfront costs and unlimited data

With two lines, AT&T gets more complicated, but I think the best deal is the MobileShare plan:

AT&T: Unlimited minutes, 1 GB, unlimited text: $130 => $3518
    T-Mobile: Unlimited minutes, 1 GB, unlimited text, phone payments: $120.00 => $3078

2.5 Yr AT&T: $4298
    2.5 Yr T-Mobile: $3558

Obviously, the savings only get better the longer you hold onto your phone, but six months doesn't sound like too much to ask. With T-Mobile, you may also have the option of getting your employer to pay for the phone (which is often easier than getting employer service options).

The old plans on T-Mobile were slightly better (strictly in terms of price), and it's not clear whether they are continuing to offer employee/group discounts on the plans (they didn't use to offer these on month-to-month plans).

(As an aside, the AT&T web site is horribly complicated to navigate ... but I imagine most people buy in store which makes the entire process easier.)
    04-04-2013 04:37 PM
    It's not clear whether they are continuing to offer employee/group discounts on the plans (they didn't use to offer these on month-to-month plans).

(As an aside, the AT&T web site is horribly complicated to navigate ... but I imagine most people buy in store which makes the entire process easier.)
    Discounts still apply on these plans. It's hard to call these month-to-month plans, more accurate would be postpaid. So there would be no confusion between prepaid and postpaid.

But I can't wait to get me one of these. I plan on paying $300 down and then I'll pay it off whenever I feel like it later. I know ppl say pay it all now but why when they give me 24 months with 0 interest to do it when I want? My bill will roughly be $20 plus taxes not including the phone. So I'll prob drop $100 a month into the phone payments and then have it paid off before the N5 drops. If it entices me then I will grab that.

I love the freedom T-Mo is giving me with great value. Nowadays I care more about the phone than I do the coverage, but it doesn't hurt they give me unlimited everything.

Edit - Before ppl ask me why my bill is so cheap, I'm on a family plan with no added data currently.
    04-07-2013 03:49 PM
    Now question. With the new t-mobile plans, can I change my phone every six months if I choose to? Like will they keep giving me a down payment option if I paid my phone in full?

For example lets say I get the unlimited plan. Pay a little more than the 20 on top of the plan, and then pay off the phone in 6 months. Or just pretty much sell my phone and pay off the remainder . Will they allow me to get another one with just the down payment?
    04-07-2013 09:58 PM
    Yes, you can start a new payment plan immediately when you pay off the phone.
    04-08-2013 03:28 AM
    Now question. With the new t-mobile plans, can I change my phone every six months if I choose to? Like will they keep giving me a down payment option if I paid my phone in full?

For example lets say I get the unlimited plan. Pay a little more than the 20 on top of the plan, and then pay off the phone in 6 months. Or just pretty much sell my phone and pay off the remainder . Will they allow me to get another one with just the down payment?
    Yup
    04-08-2013 02:03 PM
    Yup
    Now that's something I might be interested in. Lol do they charge taxes or is it just a flat rate?
    04-08-2013 11:37 PM
    Now that's something I might be interested in. Lol do they charge taxes or is it just a flat rate?
    You pay the phone taxes with your down payment, so it'll be roughly $150 up front, so there are no taxes on the monthly payments.
    04-09-2013 08:23 PM
81 1234