Hi All!

I'm thinking about switching providers when the GS4 comes out.. (or i'm still eyeing the note 2 - see my old posts i had it and returned it now I can't make up my mind) reason is although I've had AT&T for a really long time, the service has not been that great. I get a ton of dropped calls, barely and signal at my house and for the price i'm paying you'd think I'd be able to use my phone as much as I'd like. (I currently have iPhone 4S)

The new T-Mobile no contract deal sounds appealing, but I'd like to no some pros and cons about either service providers that any of you have experienced. I am trying to save whatever money I can, so that's why I thought maybe it'd be a more budget friendly experience to move to T-Mobile.. in hopes to also get better service with my phone.

I also had a friend tell me that there are some service providers that you are not able to use data and voice/text simultaneously (he looked up verizon was one of them, but I'm not too sure)

I tried to look on the forums, but didn't find anything up to date (everything was from last year) and with all the new changes of t-mobile and new towers.. i'm wondering if theres a difference in speed with t-mobile etc.

Thanks in advanced for any input.

04-15-2013 10:20 AM
    if you want LTE and better coverage go with at&t.
    04-15-2013 10:22 AM
    Hi All!

I'm thinking about switching providers when the GS4 comes out.. (or i'm still eyeing the note 2 - see my old posts i had it and returned it now I can't make up my mind) reason is although I've had AT&T for a really long time, the service has not been that great. I get a ton of dropped calls, barely and signal at my house and for the price i'm paying you'd think I'd be able to use my phone as much as I'd like. (I currently have iPhone 4S)

The new T-Mobile no contract deal sounds appealing, but I'd like to no some pros and cons about either service providers that any of you have experienced. I am trying to save whatever money I can, so that's why I thought maybe it'd be a more budget friendly experience to move to T-Mobile.. in hopes to also get better service with my phone.

I also had a friend tell me that there are some service providers that you are not able to use data and voice/text simultaneously (he looked up verizon was one of them, but I'm not too sure)

I tried to look on the forums, but didn't find anything up to date (everything was from last year) and with all the new changes of t-mobile and new towers.. i'm wondering if theres a difference in speed with t-mobile etc.

Thanks in advanced for any input.

It honestly depends on where you use your phone...

T-Mobile just launched LTE in a few US cities:

Baltimore
    Houston
    Kansas City
    Las Vegas
    Phoenix
    San Jose, Calif.
    Washington, D.C.

So if you live in any of those cities, it may be worth looking into T-Mobile. I'd also highly recommend checking T-Mobile's coverage map. Check for places you live, work, frequently travel to, etc.

I, for example, live and work near DC, so I was really considering switching to t-mobile, but unfortunately, they get almost no coverage in an area I travel to frequently, so I'm not sure if it's worth it for me -- but if you're budget conscious the t-mobile plans are probably a good option if they can provide the coverage in the places you need.

*Some* Verizon 4G phones can do voice and data simultaneously, but I'm not sure which current models, if any, do support it. Keep in mind that's mobile data (3G/4G); Verizon phones can do wifi data and voice just fine. Still though, if you're trying to save money, Verizon is probably not the route you're looking to go down anyway...
    04-15-2013 10:40 AM
    I have been att even when it was Cingular lol
    I love the speed...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums
    04-15-2013 10:58 AM
    No idea what ppls fascination with LTE is, When I was with Sprint I was crying for it....but even T-Mo 2G is plenty enough for what I use my phone for.

AT&T has better nationwide coverage, if you travel a lot it might be important to keep. However if you are in a city where T-Mo coverage is then you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Saving money might be an issue though depending on how you use your phone. T-Mo did away with less minute contracts so technically I think AT&T could be had for about the same kind of money that T-Mo has. If you can share the plan with family members, that's where savings can rly start to add up. Otherwise it might be more beneficial to go to one of the many prepaid companies out there to save the money.

Check the map like PP said and see how it'll be in your area.

Voice and data at the same time was a limitation to the CDMA technology. Since both AT&T and T-Mo run GSM, it won't be an issue.....as long as you are on 3G. Verizon should work now too with LTE.
    04-15-2013 11:10 AM
    I love T-mobile, but I'm really tired of waiting for their LTE coverages for the whole nation, cause I travel a lot. I will get my S4 with AT&T.
    04-15-2013 11:51 AM
    AT&T service imo is better than T-Mobile...atleast in my areas...I am in Maryland, near DC
    T-Mobile however has much better and more affordable plans...AT&T is expensive imo
    04-15-2013 12:24 PM
    If your reception was not that great with AT&T I think it will be worst with T-Mobile. We live out in the woods and the AT&T signal here is very weak, T-Mobile has no signal at all.
    The best we have found here in our rural area is Verizon. The Verizon signal is 1-2 bars but at least every time you try to make a call it works. How is Verizon where you are?
    04-15-2013 12:48 PM
    It all depends where you live. ATT is top where I live but that doesn't help you. I would go with t mobile. You get a return period even though the return is $50.

Try it out. Since you know ATT is not that great where you live, try the other carriers. And as far as not being able to talk and surf, what good is that if your connection is not good?

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 4
    04-15-2013 02:28 PM
    Around here, T-Mobile is fantastic and AT&T is okay. Throw WiFi Calling on top, and the choice is pretty easy.

But as the others said, it varies. I might consider AT&T if I traveled to more rural areas, but I largely stick major cities and population centers.

Your best bet is to try to arrange a trial period with T-Mobile. I don't know what their current policies allow, but try to talk the sales guy into a 14 day no-cancellation-fee trial. (Some states have laws that require providers offer free returns with windows up to 30 days.) You should be able to get a pretty good impression of service in your area, then.
    04-15-2013 02:52 PM
    Thank you for your response everyone, very much appreciated. I checked the coverage for T-Mobile in my area, and the funny thing is, the spot where my house is it's only "Satisfactory" but places I do not frequent are "excellent"..

Verizon is definitely out of the question because it is just too much out of my budget. I think we will just continue with AT&T and hope it gets a little bit better. Plus my husband gets a discount through his work with AT&T so I guess we'll be staying..

Thank you again everyone for the input.
    04-15-2013 03:36 PM
    I've had T-Mobile for little under a year, and I'm so unimpressed with the coverage now that I'm going with AT&T.
    j510 likes this.
    04-15-2013 05:07 PM