So, now that T-mobile is separating device sales from contracts; does it mean that T-mobile Galaxy S4 would be GSM unlocked without any carrier bloat (or at least an option to remove whatever carrier bloat comes with it)? Will T-mobile still be controlling the software upgrade?

Thanks,
    Osho
    04-19-2013 11:54 PM
    So, now that T-mobile is separating device sales from contracts; does it mean that T-mobile Galaxy S4 would be GSM unlocked without any carrier bloat (or at least an option to remove whatever carrier bloat comes with it)? Will T-mobile still be controlling the software upgrade?

Thanks,
    Osho
    They will still control and lock it down. Although some bloat might be removable, T-Mo is sometimes good with that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    04-20-2013 12:07 AM
    The phone won't be unlocked. You can request the unlock once the phone is fully paid off.

It will come with "bloat", but I think T-Mobile has shown a lot more restraint from the early days. In this case, bloat will mean the visual voicemail application, an account manager, and possibly a couple of dumb things you don't want (the S III came with a Zynga application of all things). Fortunately, Android allows you to freeze these applications so that they don't show up on your phone and they will never launch. They still take up a small amount of space (because you can't modify where the applications are stored), but you shouldn't worry about it.

(Some applications are set up specifically to avoid being frozen (like Samsung's Music Player), but most of what you would consider bloat will probably be things you can freeze.)
    coolshades likes this.
    04-20-2013 03:21 AM

Thanks,
    Osho
    It's still a T-Mobile phone and u still would be paying for their service... Just not in contract but the phone will still have the bloatware

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 Boyyyyyy!
    04-20-2013 04:51 AM
    Does this also mean that Samsung's OS upgrades will face the usual "carrier delay" ? Or, will I be able to upgrade Galaxy S4 directly from Samsung as soon as they release it??

I am considering just buying the phone outright (instead of doing $20 payments every month) and if so, I would want the same 'freedom' as the international version - i.e. no carrier bloat; no carrier delay for OS upgrades etc. Is this possible with T-mobile Galaxy S4? If not, would buying the international version (on ebay or from one of the other sites) and then using a T-mobile prepaid simcard work just fine on its network?

Thanks,
    Osho
    04-20-2013 09:20 PM
    Will this be the same phone as the AT&T version? I think that older T Mobile phones didn't work correctly on AT&T, but AT&T phones worked fine on T-Mobile.
    04-20-2013 09:25 PM
    Does this also mean that Samsung's OS upgrades will face the usual "carrier delay" ? Or, will I be able to upgrade Galaxy S4 directly from Samsung as soon as they release it??
    Nope, still the usual T-Mobile delays. (Although I think for the S III, T-Mobile got the Jelly Bean update before the international (but after the Korean version).)

In general, you'll lose 3G with the international model in areas where T-Mobile hasn't "re-farmed" the 1900 MHz. You'll probably be fine in most cities, but it's not really ideal.

I am not sure what the situation with LTE frequenices is, at the moment, so you should research that (or maybe somebody here has been paying more attention).
    04-20-2013 10:31 PM
    Nope, still the usual T-Mobile delays. (Although I think for the S III, T-Mobile got the Jelly Bean update before the international (but after the Korean version).)

In general, you'll lose 3G with the international model in areas where T-Mobile hasn't "re-farmed" the 1900 MHz. You'll probably be fine in most cities, but it's not really ideal.

I am not sure what the situation with LTE frequenices is, at the moment, so you should research that (or maybe somebody here has been paying more attention).
    T-mobile LTE is AWS 1700/2100.
    04-20-2013 10:35 PM
    Will this be the same phone as the AT&T version? I think that older T Mobile phones didn't work correctly on AT&T, but AT&T phones worked fine on T-Mobile.
    No, T-Mobile has different LTE bands than AT&T. It'll still work with T-Mobile if you put an AT&T phone on their service, but the most you'll get is HSPA+ instead of LTE. Which, if you don't live in once of the scarce cities that actually has T-Mobile LTE it probably doesn't matter.
    04-20-2013 10:42 PM
    Wrong the tmobile version works on att lte perfectly I have the tmobile version unlocked and it's super fast. The tmobile version has the extra bands for tmobile hspa plus. The att version Will work both ways also but it won't get tmobile hspa plus just 3g. LONG STORY SHORT tmobile version covers att perfectly same phone att does not. Other than that they are both world phones and get 3g worldwide.
    rjw, Zubaru25rs and jdbii like this.
    05-19-2013 12:08 PM
    So to just reiterate what you are saying, AT&T phones will work on Tmobile, just no HSPA+ just 3G? I want the Samsung Galaxy S4 32gb in the worst way and I want it on TMobile but not sure that I can wait. The phone will be purchased outright and used on a prepaid plan, but I don't want to cut myself off from the most versatility (mobile speed) by not getting a band the Tmobile will be using for high speed connections. I think what I'm slowing coming to my own conclusion is wait for it....
    05-20-2013 03:34 PM
    So when buying the phone, and not paying full price the T-Mobile one comes with a locked bootloader? And stays locked until you pay full price?
    05-22-2013 09:27 PM