GS4 not playing MP3 files

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some help with an issue I'm having.
Up until about a month ago, my phone played all music without a problem. I have it all saved on my SD card and after one of the times that I dismounted the card, the files got corrupted and could no longer be played. In "My files" on my phone, the songs show up with weird symbols instead of the song name. I tried deleting them and re-downloading them but they still won't play. I also ran chkdsk on my computer to see if the corrupted files could be fixed. It fixed the names and they show up with the correct song name but still won't play. All of the songs play perfectly on the computer but not on my phone. Does anyone know what could be wrong with the files? Or is it the SD card?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I was hoping I could get some help with an issue I'm having.
Up until about a month ago, my phone played all music without a problem. I have it all saved on my SD card and after one of the times that I dismounted the card, the files got corrupted and could no longer be played. In "My files" on my phone, the songs show up with weird symbols instead of the song name. I tried deleting them and re-downloading them but they still won't play. I also ran chkdsk on my computer to see if the corrupted files could be fixed. It fixed the names and they show up with the correct song name but still won't play. All of the songs play perfectly on the computer but not on my phone. Does anyone know what could be wrong with the files? Or is it the SD card?

Welcome to the forums!
I would first assume the card is bad. How old is it? What brand? How big and what type (SDHC, SDXC)?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
It's new, had it for about 3 weeks. It is a 32GB SDHC Class 10 but has no brand. Bought it online...

That might be the problem!
If I was in your shoes I would do a factory reset to my phone to see if that fixes the problem.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll give it a try. I had the same issue with the pictures I had saved on the SD card. After I ran chkdsk, the pictures are no longer corrupted and show up without the weird symbols in "My files." Not sure wjy those were fixed and not the mp3 files. What would you recommend I use to back up my phone? I tried using Kies some time ago and it was a hassle so I decided not to do the hard reset and instead did a soft reset. That fixed another issue I was having at the time, not sure if it will work for this one.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It worked, but now I'm having another problem. The phone says there is no SD card inserted even though there is. I can't move files from or to the SD card, already checked if it was inserted properly and it still won't work.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No problem.

Currently don't have another phone to try it on since my mom also has the S4 and my sister has an iPhone 5. I ejected it and ran a disk check on my pc and popped it back, started working again; don't know what did it. Maybe it's not making proper contact and slips out of the SD slot after some time?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Currently don't have another phone to try it on since my mom also has the S4 and my sister has an iPhone 5. I ejected it and ran a disk check on my pc and popped it back, started working again; don't know what did it. Maybe it's not making proper contact and slips out of the SD slot after some time?

You can use it in your mom's GS4, it doesn't hurt to try.

And yes, you may be right about not making proper contact.

Amberae

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm having similar problems since last summer (new update?) I've been getting error messages about my sd card... not recognizing format or not being there. Now (since Dec update?) It can't play my mp3s.

Samsung should do an update to fix the bugs!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm having similar problems since last summer (new update?) I've been getting error messages about my sd card... not recognizing format or not being there. Now (since Dec update?) It can't play my mp3s.

Samsung should do an update to fix the bugs!
Welcome to Android Central :)
Try formatting the SD card within the phone. If that doesn't work, you might need a new SD cards. Sammy phones don't play nice with certain brands :\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Unknown