How to completely disable mobile data from being turned on?

xD4rk

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't have a mobile data plan. We're waiting for my parents' contract to be up until we get a family plan. Anyways, mobile data keeps turning itself on for some reason and then AT&T keeps charging us $40 each month. And it's really annoying, as we're not rich (we got this phone off a family friend). Is there a way I could disable/keep it from being turned on any under circumstance unless I (the user) turn it on myself?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a mobile data plan. We're waiting for my parents' contract to be up until we get a family plan. Anyways, mobile data keeps turning itself on for some reason and then AT&T keeps charging us $40 each month. And it's really annoying, as we're not rich (we got this phone off a family friend). Is there a way I could disable/keep it from being turned on any under circumstance unless I (the user) turn it on myself?

Welcome to the forums!
Try turning Airplane Mode on. That should kill all power to the radios. And unless AT&T didn't do anything stupid to the ROM, it should stay that way.

xD4rk

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!
But that also disables all things cell-related. I use this phone on a plan, just not one with mobile data. So I need to just disable mobile data. Thanks for trying to help though.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just go into settings and turns mobile data off.

Or you can call AT&T and ask them to put a data block on your line.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

xD4rk

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, but the problem is, it turns itself on. We tried calling AT&T and they said that its what the phone is supposed to do and they can't disable it. When asked if we could, they said "I don't know."

Malik Nash

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Go to settings > connections > mobile data and deselect the mobile data check box. Next, go to settings > more connections > mobile networks and deselect mobile data and data roaming. That should do it.

Posted via Android Central App

Sami Sami2

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
i have the same problem with galaxy S4, i have wifi connection at home and work but the automatically turning on of the data roaming is costing me, i have turned it off several time but it keeps coming on after a while, i should be able to do it manually but this thing keeps coming automatically

csay

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
try this one.
go to settings, more networks, mobile network settings and deliberately edit the APN (access point name).
ex. choose a different authentication type and APN type.
save it and check by going to the browser if you can still connect to the internet.

sebbyluc

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I know that my answer is late, but I came across the same problem and I have solved it by:
going to settings > more connections > mobile networks > network mode
and there selecting the modes that don't have "(automatic connection)": "3G only" or "2G only".
Hope this helps other people that are in the same situation.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63