Rooting question

MistahDonutsx

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I want to root my GS4 and install CyanogenMod 10.1 on it. Does rooting allow me to flash ROMs or do I need to do something else first?
T-Mobile GS4 Build number is M919UVUAMDL

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I want to root my GS4 and install CyanogenMod 10.1 on it. Does rooting allow me to flash ROMs or do I need to do something else first?
T-Mobile GS4 Build number is M919UVUAMDL

Root, then get a custom recovery, make a backup of your current ROM, then flash a new one.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

MistahDonutsx

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I was just about to ask. I need to back up my phone before trying the root. Would the backup available on Nova launcher be good? Also, I've downloaded 3 zip files so far; the Odin 307 zip, CWM zip and the rooting zip for my specific phone. Can't download winzip because my trial expired, what now?
Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I was just about to ask. I need to back up my phone before trying the root. Would the backup available on Nova launcher be good? Also, I've downloaded 3 zip files so far; the Odin 307 zip, CWM zip and the rooting zip for my specific phone. Can't download winzip because my trial expired, what now?

Rooting typically doesn't brick. Unless you use a root method that is for a different device. Try galaxys4root .com. If you need a file extraction program, look for 7Zip. I think you can get it from CNET.
If I missed anything or you have more questions, ask.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

MistahDonutsx

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I should be able to do it now. I think I might wait for the 4.3 update to see if anything improves; if not I'll go ahead and root. I appreciate your help :)

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

MistahDonutsx

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the video said to use the files for your specific version. I was just wondering if the steps are the same. I have the Root zip for my model and the root zip for CM10.1