No signal when on Wi-Fi

MistahDonutsx

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
A couple of weeks ago my cousin and her husband came over (Both have GS3 on T-Mo) and for some reason her husband's phone would show no signal when he was connected to my home Wi-Fi even though he had 4 bars 4G when he turned it off. My cousin's was fine so I thought it was just a defective phone or something that happened over time since he's had it since release date. This morning the same thing happened to my mom's GS4 and when she turns it off she gets 3 bars on LTE. My S4 works fine when on wi-fi or mobile data. I know she can still send texts and make calls with wi-fi calling but it drains the battery when she has no service (Wi-Fi on) Anyone else have this issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did those phones ever connect successfully before to your wifi? Do you know if the router settings changed recently? Here are a few things to try:

1. On your cousin's husband's and mother's phone, go to Settings/Wireless & Networks/Wifi, select your home network, and Forget it. Then select it again and connect, entering in the password again.
2. Reboot the router--unplug the power for 10 seconds, then plug it back in and wait 20-30 seconds for the connection to reestablish.
3. More advanced--log in to your router's settings (need to read the manual for this) and see what happens if you temporarily disable the security.

Sideman7

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I think this is normal. If you have wifi calling enabled, and you are connected to wifi, there is no use for the cellular signal anyway. If you are seeing differences between phones, I would imagine it's because of the wifi calling settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Now I'm not entirely sure what the OP was asking. Is it that the phones in question did not have any wifi connectivity, or is it just that the 4G turned off when the wifi was on? It's typical for 4G to turn off when wifi is connected--the device is supposed to use wifi preferentially over mobile data if available.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Now I'm not entirely sure what the OP was asking. Is it that the phones in question did not have any wifi connectivity, or is it just that the 4G turned off when the wifi was on? It's typical for 4G to turn off when wifi is connected--the device is supposed to use wifi preferentially over mobile data if available.
I think he meant he wasn't getting any bars when connected to Wi-Fi. I had the same issue as I just unrooted my phone and all settings were deleted. I fixed the issue by going into Wi-Fi Calling and selecting "Cellular network preferred." I now get full bars even when on wi-fi.

Tyndall

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think this is normal. If you have wifi calling enabled, and you are connected to wifi, there is no use for the cellular signal anyway. If you are seeing differences between phones, I would imagine it's because of the wifi calling settings.

This. If have wifi calling enabled, with Wifi calling preferred when on a wifi network then the phone does show "no service" and calls go out and come in over wifi. Does not detract from the phone's use so far as I can see.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

He had wifi calling on. WiFi calling uses your wifi as your connection for calls / texts. Is a T-Mobile only thing.

The example below where I was showing a buddy the shirt on shirtpunch you can see my Note 3 has no bars.. But that's due to the wifi calling being on (top left). It was using my wifi as the cell service so it just shuts off the cell radio.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1382014246271.jpg
    1382014246271.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 7

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
He had wifi calling on. WiFi calling uses your wifi as your connection for calls / texts. Is a T-Mobile only thing.

The example below where I was showing a buddy the shirt on shirtpunch you can see my Note 3 has no bars.. But that's due to the wifi calling being on (top left). It was using my wifi as the cell service so it just shuts off the cell radio.

So this wouldn't drain the battery like the way it does when you're in an area with bad cell coverage?

Posted via Android Central App

Kyrie Hayes

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
LTE VS DEV GALAXY S4 Also no wifi recognition

Here's my story I'm going to shorten it is much as I can I had the galaxy s2 when they put ice cream sandwich on it, it blew. So I had to go up to the s3 when they put the jelly bean on that it blew that. Now I have had a galaxy s4 for about 4 months and they're already sending me a new one because every time they do a software update they blow something on my phone the thing is I have the LTE what they are sending me is the DEV. I need to know like you're talking to a 5 year old what this means because from what I can see this phone costs half of what the LTE does and it puts me back down to 3 instead of a 4. I need to know short of a master reset which they are determined to have me do which would take me a week to get everything transferred because guess what kiis doesn't transfer everything I have to do it by hand. No, I cannot just drive to a store and have them help me. I'm on permanent disability. I can't drive. I have to have someone with me. I can't stand there for an hour being ignored while they figure out the phone. I've already played that game and it resulted in a massive panic attack in the store. So all of you can go into a store I don't have that. I need to know the difference between what they're sending me and the LTE that I have only owned for 4 months and every single issue that has gone wrong is their fault and they know it they have put updates on my phone they have taken care of all the maintenance and towers around my house that's why my bill is 25 dollars this month because they have screwed up so many things on my phone I have had to call them everyday for 10 days straight I need to know the difference what is LTE compared to DEV because there is no S5. I can't go any higher and my wifi is on all the time it doesn't matter it doesn't show. My data plan I took it off because I was never ever even close to the 500 because I was always on wifi only in my house. Now I'm at 1.65 gigabytes of only 2.5 because even though it shows that I'm on wifi right now its taking the data from t-mobile I know for a fact because I'm watching my data go up n up n up as I'm talking on the phone. So I need to know what the difference is if there's any alternative to a master reset why isn't it recognizing my wifi all of a sudden after their stupid updates. It was fine before but this is a brand new phone. I have put maybe 10 applications on here from the Google store and that is it. I don't watch movies I don't download I don't play games and still I'm the one getting screwed so somebody tell me what the difference is LTE & DEV & what I'm supposed to do please.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: LTE VS DEV GALAXY S4 Also no wifi recognition

Welcome to Android Central! To increase the chance of someone answering your question, please post it as a New Thread.

Sideman7

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So this wouldn't drain the battery like the way it does when you're in an area with bad cell coverage?

No, the exact opposite is going on here. When wifi calling is enabled and you are connected to wifi, I am pretty sure the phone is reducing the power to the cell radio, and that is why you see the bars drop, or no service altogether.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
No, the exact opposite is going on here. When wifi calling is enabled and you are connected to wifi, I am pretty sure the phone is reducing the power to the cell radio, and that is why you see the bars drop, or no service altogether.

Hmm, I think I'm just so bothered by seeing the no signal icon that I won't care about the little power it'll save

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It shuts the cell radio off. No reason for it to be on. It just uses the wifi for calling, texting, and data.