T-Mobile Galaxy S4: Official KitKat 4.4.2 Update Discussion Thread

dougc405

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
You can disable Picasa upload from Settings - Accounts - Google. Tap you account to see the Sync settings. Picass is at the bottom of the list.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having trouble receiving MMS or group messaging since updating to KitKat? I cannot receive messages through my SMS app, 8sms. Only through Hangouts.

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone having trouble receiving MMS or group messaging since updating to KitKat? I cannot receive messages through my SMS app, 8sms. Only through Hangouts.

Samsung KitKat issues (sending and receiving mms) | 8sms

It seems there is a nasty bug in Android KitKat for some devices which is preventing 8sms from working properly. This seems to affect mainly Samsung phones (the S4 and Note 3) in the following way:

Galaxy S4: Cannot receive mms if auto-retrieve is enabled
Note 3: Cannot receive mms
Galaxy S4, Note 3: Random crashes when composing or sending mms.*
So disappointing since I love 8sms.

hamr1

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I have found a weird glitch in the messaging app. Many times since updating to 4.4.2 when text messaging I send the message and it disappears. On many occasions I thought it was sent only to look to see it's gone. Anyone else see this strange behavior? I have noticed the send icon occasionally doesn't highlight, which then when your ready to send it deletes the message.

Last edited:

hamr1

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
In response to my own comment about disappearing text messages. It seems that it happens most often during a conversation when I'm replying to someone else. Pretty strange as I haven't read about this issue anywhere else.

Taylor Huddlestun

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
I am having issues with kitkat

1) about 1 in every 5 times I go to on my s4 the lock screen takes 15-20 seconds to turn on. Really is starting to erk me and ready to find a way to switch to 4.3 again because of it. It dies not matter whether I have an app running when I lock it or not.

2) I also had apps missing that I had to redownload. A reboot did not work

3) the Samsung Keyboard seems to be worse now when I'm swiping my words. The wrong word about 25% of the time

4) the Google search widget does not work. When I click on it the keyboard does not open. Nothing happens

5) when typing in the search bar of Google Chrome words are not spaced when using swipe. I have to manually hit ape between words.

Any suggestions?

Dean C1

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile Galaxy S4 : Official KitKat 4.4.2 Update Discussion Thread

Downloaded the update yesterday and have to say not very impressed.

My battery is draining very fast. Have already "googled" and found Google is well aware of the issue since last year yet didn't fix the problem and sent out the update anyway, way to go guys. Already shut off Google Now and removed Skype which seems to have helped.

Noticed some icon apps completely missing from the screens and saved usernames and passwords gone.

I despise a camera option on the lock screen.Any shortcuts to apps on a lock screen should be optional

I absolutely HATE the white icons in the status bar, not really sure once again what Google people were thinking but if my experience with them is any indicator as usual they weren't. White blends, apparently no one told them this.

Don't know why Google is becoming far worse then MS every was. I don't want my phone calls, messages, etc to be "blended" with Google apps. Now your text messages will be "blended" with Google Hangouts. I don't use hangouts and don't want hangouts and I certainly don't want google into my text messages it's bad enough they read your emails.

I used Gmail for business and paid for it under that version and just recently switched to exchange because of their constant " updates" and "improvements" which were neither. I no longer use my personal gmail account for really much more than junk because I don't like the fact they read your emails and sell off to advertisers everything you've typed into the search and what you're receiving and sending by email. Now they're messing with the phone and looking at more and more information, apparently they want me to ditch android which I love to go to a windows phone.

masc69

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Downloaded the update yesterday and have to say not very impressed.

My battery is draining very fast. Have already "googled" and found Google is well aware of the issue since last year yet didn't fix the problem and sent out the update anyway, way to go guys. Already shut off Google Now and removed Skype which seems to have helped.

Noticed some icon apps completely missing from the screens and saved usernames and passwords gone.

I despise a camera option on the lock screen.Any shortcuts to apps on a lock screen should be optional

I absolutely HATE the white icons in the status bar, not really sure once again what Google people were thinking but if my experience with them is any indicator as usual they weren't. White blends, apparently no one told them this.

Don't know why Google is becoming far worse then MS every was. I don't want my phone calls, messages, etc to be "blended" with Google apps. Now your text messages will be "blended" with Google Hangouts. I don't use hangouts and don't want hangouts and I certainly don't want google into my text messages it's bad enough they read your emails.

I used Gmail for business and paid for it under that version and just recently switched to exchange because of their constant " updates" and "improvements" which were neither. I no longer use my personal gmail account for really much more than junk because I don't like the fact they read your emails and sell off to advertisers everything you've typed into the search and what you're receiving and sending by email. Now they're messing with the phone and looking at more and more information, apparently they want me to ditch android which I love to go to a windows phone.

Nitpicky much?

My battery life has improved, contrary to yours. I have google now on 24/7.

The missing app icons issue was addressed several times in this thread; just restart your phone.

I like the white icons in the notification bar. It looks a lot cleaner than the mess of colors it was before. To each his own I guess.

The whole Hangouts blended with sms is optional. I agree with you, I dont want Google having all my messages. It is optional however, just stick with the regular messaging app.

As far as Gmail info being shared, Yahoo and MS also shared all of your emails with the NSA. No matter where you go, you will still have problems with privacy. The NSA also collected phone calls and text mesaages, its a big infringement on everyones privacy. I do understand your concern with that. I do think it was a good update, and i hope it will grow on you.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

The camera on the lockstreen is OPTIONAL. If you don't like it, go to Lockscreen settings, just select None under Shortcuts.

If you want a more stock SMS experience, download 8sms https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...m.thinkleft.eightyeightsms.mms&token=4obliLnl It's fantastic.

SHAKIL MARUF

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing issues since the 4.4 update? I can't use navigation system anymore.

Posted via Android Central App

This is the one reason I wish I had stayed on 4.3. My GPS functionality has basically gone down the drain. I never rooted my phone, just updated from stock 4.3 to stock 4.4.2. In JB it took 10-20 seconds for GPS fix whereas now it takes a grand total of 10-15 minutes under clear blue sky. This is a big issue while using Google Navigation as you basically don't get a map fix of your location. I have installed GPS Status & Toolbox and also GPS Test and both these apps take the same amount of time. Interesting thing is in GPS Test it shows that 8-9 satellites are in use but the phone doesn't lock and you see the blinking gps icon in the status bar. After 15 minutes it will finally lock and navigation is possible. In frustration, I factory reset the phone but the problem still persists. Not sure what else to try.

Dean C1

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

Nitpicky? Hmmm, I guess I along with hundreds of others complaining about the battery drain and the very fact there is a bug thread that Google admits there is a problem with it escapes you because your battery is running just fine. Sorry, didn't mean to complain as I didn't receive the memo that the android system and all components were based upon your experience, my apologies. In the future I'll keep what is happening to myself until you complain about such as apparently it all revolves around you.

I'm glad you like the white icons, however you'll notice there are others in this world and if you read threads you'll find many others like myself who do not and prefer the colors as it is easier on some peoples eyes. But once again I made the mistake and didn't know your opinion is the only one that matters.

Nobody said anything about NSA, but actually taking the time to read along with reading comprehension I was talking about selling your info off to advertisers. So before being snarky in the future it might help if you're actually on point.

As a linux user for my box, I like the fact I can customize my stuff the way I want, once again has nothing to do with you or what you want. I also expect when an update comes out and is pushed out it is ready for primetime in particular from a major company such as Google. If you know there are flaws do not push it out, it's actually a very simple concept.

No actually it will not grow on me, hope after reading this post you'll mature a bit.

Dean C1

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site

I did that, the icon is still there. The only way to remove the icon is if you have a lock on the screen then it disappears. But once again it should be an option not just automatically there.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

I'm seeing now on my S4 with T-Mobile that the update's available and I'm just as happy not to. My phone is perfect. Why screw it up?

I don't see anything in this update that's essential. I'll wait for the next one, by which time I'm probably on a new phone.

----> But does anyone know if T-mobile will push it without notice?

masc69

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Nitpicky? Hmmm, I guess I along with hundreds of others complaining about the battery drain and the very fact there is a bug thread that Google admits there is a problem with it escapes you because your battery is running just fine. Sorry, didn't mean to complain as I didn't receive the memo that the android system and all components were based upon your experience, my apologies. In the future I'll keep what is happening to myself until you complain about such as apparently it all revolves around you.

I'm glad you like the white icons, however you'll notice there are others in this world and if you read threads you'll find many others like myself who do not and prefer the colors as it is easier on some peoples eyes. But once again I made the mistake and didn't know your opinion is the only one that matters.

Nobody said anything about NSA, but actually taking the time to read along with reading comprehension I was talking about selling your info off to advertisers. So before being snarky in the future it might help if you're actually on point.

As a linux user for my box, I like the fact I can customize my stuff the way I want, once again has nothing to do with you or what you want. I also expect when an update comes out and is pushed out it is ready for primetime in particular from a major company such as Google. If you know there are flaws do not push it out, it's actually a very simple concept.

No actually it will not grow on me, hope after reading this post you'll mature a bit.

Wow. You need to relax. Apparently, I can't disagree with someone's opinion.

As far as battery goes, my battery life is great. I am aware of the Kit Kat issue, but I haven't seen it affect my phone. If you knew there was a battery issue, which had been identified well before the S4 got its Kit Kat update, you should have stayed on 4.3 and avoided it altogether.

And you obviously missed the point of my NSA comment. What I was saying is that all companies sell your information, not just Google. So if you want your info to not be sold, maybe you should try to decrease your presence online.

Samsung, Google and T-Mobile tested the update and deemed it ready for "primetime". So your anger should be directed at all three companies.

I apologize if my response was offensive to you. That was not my intention.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

ayjude

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site

It is the symbol for NFC. If you go to Settings, in the Connections or Networks area you will see the NFC with an on or off switch next to it.

Orlando Hammonds

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have aS4 in the Atlanta area and I am having the same issue. Doesn't matter if I am using Google Navigator or Scout. GAS navigation has become unusable after the Kit Kat update.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37