Upgrading rooted phone

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a rooted S4, running 4.2.2. How do I best unroot and upgrade to Marshmallow? Or upgrade as much as possible, anyway.... Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Back it up, flash the stock ROM, update, root (if there's a root for the version you updated to), restore.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you need to unroot if you want to do an OTA update or have it flashed. When I rooted my S5, I had to go through several updates to do the final one.

Even not running a custom ROM, the phone sees it that way for updating when you are rooted.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
You might have to reflash a kernel and then go through some updates. Let me see what someone else might can tell you. I'm very limited on rooting experience.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The bad news is I think you are probably going to have to go through several OTA updates. You probably can flash them with Odin, but that is going to take a lot of big file downloads. The other possibility.. Once you unroot, you might can use Kies to update, no guarantee though.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't think Kies will work. It still might see a tampered device. Flashing the stock ROM will probably be the only way to get rid of root completely.