[How-To] Samsung Vibrant Root Froyo, Flash a Custom ROM, Backup and Factory Restore

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
This thread will help you root, flash a ROM, and in a pinch, flash your phone back to stock.

[NOTE]Quick disclaimer: I don't own a Vibrant. The methods in this thread are either taken from the community (a big thanks to everyone who made the information available), or are general Samsung knowledge.
[/NOTE]
Root and Install a ROM:

1. Index
2. FAQ's and Install Drivers
3. Rooting
4. Backup
5. Installing Clockworkmod Recovery
6. Choosing and Installing a ROM
7. Restoring Backups
8. Factory Restore using Odin
9. Troubleshooting

[WARN]DISCLAIMER: Me, Android Central, or any member of these forums, are not responsible for what you do to your phone.[/WARN]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
FAQ's

Rooting/ROMs

What is rooting?

[INFO]See Jerry Hildenbrand's article about rooting for an in-depth explanation.
[/INFO]
What is a custom ROM?

[INFO]A custom ROM is a modified version of the OS that adds features/removes bugs or restrictions. The developers create these just for fun, without promise of monetary compensation. So be nice.[/INFO]

What is Clockworkmod?

[INFO]Clockworkmod is a recovery replacement for Android. Files can be packaged for installation in clockworkmod, and this format it what is generally used for custom ROM installation.[/INFO]

Why do I want to install a ROM?

[INFO]Short answer: Samsung is bad at software
Long answer: ROMs can add cool features and fix bugs that are present in the stock software, as well as take away some restrictions put in place.[/INFO]

Restore

Q: Why do I need this?

[INFO]A: You can use this to completely remove evidence of rooting from your phone if you want to send it in for repair, or sell it. You can also use this is your phone has been infected by app-borne virus (I believe I just coined that term ;)).[/INFO]

Q: Will this wipe my phone of all data?

[INFO]A: Yes, this will wipe your phone completely and rewrite the partitions to a stock (the way you bought it) condition.[/INFO]

Q: Will this wipe my SD card?

[INFO]A: NO, this will not wipe any data on your SD card, only system partitions of the phone itself.[/INFO]

Q: Does using Odin void my warranty?

[INFO]A: No, in fact if you had a software change that would have have voided your warranty before this will bring you to a state that they will have never known an alteration was made.[/INFO]

Q: Will I lose any apps or data during this process?

[INFO]A: You absolutely will, this is a full wipe of your system, but you can use the backup and restore posts in this thread to save your data.[/INFO]

Q: What is Odin?

[INFO]A: A Flashing program to download Kernels, firmware to Samsung mobile phones. Also used in recovering failed flashes, bricked phones or doing full system wipes and restores.[/INFO]

[NOTE]Preparations

1. Download and Install Samsung Drivers
64-bit 32-bit

2. Go to Settings > Applications > Developement > Enable Debugging, then connect your phone to your PC, allow 2-3 minutes to configure drivers[/NOTE]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
ROOTING

[NOTE]If you just plan on installing a custom ROM, without backing up your apps, you can skip this step. This method works on Froyo and Eclair.[/NOTE]

[INFO]Download SuperOneClick v1.7. Credit goes to CLShortFuse for this great program.

Unzip the .zip file, and open the SuperOneClick program.

Plug in your phone (with USB debugging enabled). Click "Root"

Click Yes/OK on all the windows that pop up.

If the test passes, you're now rooted![/INFO]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
BACKUP

When you install a new ROM, you usually lose ALL of the data on your device. Luckily, there are some simple utilities you can use to save this data.

[TIP]Not sure what to back up or how? PvilleComp wrote up a great guide about what and how to back up your data when switching ROMs. Check it out.[/TIP]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
INSTALLING CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY

[NOTE]If you are on Froyo, you must use this method first to allow 3e recovery to install unsigned files.
[/NOTE]
[INFO]1. Go to the Market, and download "ROM Manager"

2. Open ROM manager, and press "Flash Clockworkmod Recovery"

3. After it "finishes", power off your phone, and boot into recovery by holding volume up, down, and power. Let go when the first screen comes up.

4. You should boot into a black screen with blue text. This is recovery mode. Select "reinstall packages" using the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select.

5. Let it do its thing. When it reboots, you'll be back in the same menu. Do step 4 again, and this time it should instantly go to a green menu. This is clockwork recovery.[/INFO]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
INSTALLING A CUSTOM ROM

[INFO]Chances are, you've already picked out a ROM by now. If you haven't, you need to. Download the appropriate file for the ROM you want. It should be in <ROM NAME>.zip format. Make sure you read the thread for any special instructions on installing the ROM. This method works for most ROMs, but not all.

1. Transfer the ROM file to your internal SD card.

2. Reboot into recovery using the same method as before.

3. Now go to "install zip from sd card" and then "choose zip from SD card" and navigate to where you put the ROM file. Confirm, and let it install.

4. Go back to the main menu, and select "reboot system now".

5. You may get a menu asking about lagfix conversion. Pick whatever option suits you. Otherwise, the phone will reboot into your new ROM.[/INFO]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
RESTORE

[INFO]Apps

Go to the market and sign in. Download Titanium Backup (plus the PRO key, if you bought it). Open it up, go to Backup/Restore, hit menu and select Batch.

[TIP]This is the part where your life gets difficult if you didn't buy it. Just go buy it...we'll wait.[/TIP]

Done? Good. Now select Restore User apps+data (NOT SYSTEM), and let it run. When you're done, all your apps will be reinstalled. If you have an issue with them not linking to the market, there is a "Market Doctor" option.[/INFO]

[INFO]Restoring Contacts

Backup to Gmail account (Recommended)

Step 1. From the Home screen, touch the menu button
Step 2. Touch settings
Step 3. Touch accounts & sync
Step 4. Touch the Gmail account of your choice under Manage accounts
Step 5. Touch Sync contacts

Import From SD card (Recommended)
Step 1. From the Home screen, touch contacts
Step 2. Touch menu
Step 3. Touch Import/Export
Step 4. Touch Import From SD card[/INFO]

[INFO]Restoring SMS/Call logs: Use whatever app you used to back it up.
Restoring media: Copy and paste from your backup to your internal SD.[/INFO]

Last edited:

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
FACTORY RESTORE

[INFO]Replaced the file used due to bootloader issues. If you have any questions about the new one, post them and I'll try to answer. [/INFO]

[WARN]THIS IS FOR THE SGS-T959 VIBRANT ONLY.
Do not use this on any other phone (such as the Galaxy S 4G) unless you have the SPECIFIC replacement files for your device.[/WARN]

[WARN]DO NOT use this if you have updated to the Galaxy S GINGERBREAD bootloaders. This file contains ONLY an sbl.bin and will HARD brick your phone if you have replaced the bootloaders. [/WARN]

[INFO]1. Download the zip folder from here. THROW OUT THE .tar FILE. Download the .rar file from this thread (second link) and use the .tar file from inside (you'll need a .rar extracter like winzip or 7zip). I will redo this package when I get around a better connection.

2. Unzip the contents, and save them somewhere easy to find.

3. Open the Odin3 1.7 .exe file.

4. Click PDA. Navigate to the .tar file, and click open. .tar file should be JI6 at the end.

5. Remove battery, SIM, and micro SD from phone.

6. Re-insert the Battery. Boot into download mode by holding both Volume buttons and plugging in the USB. If you get a screen that says "downloading: do not turn off target" with a digging android, you're in download mode.

7. Your phone should show up in ODIN (the box will turn yellow w/ letters and numbers).

8. Your screen should now look like this. If it doesn't, unplug your phone, and do it again.

[NOTE]IGNORE THE .PIT FILE. ALSO, THE .TAR FILE WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT NAME. Yes, I did steal most of this guide from my Captivate thread :p[/NOTE]

Odin.png

9. If everything looks good, the hit start. DO NOT UNPLUG IT. When it finishes, Odin will say PASS in green. You can then unplug, and your phone will reboot.[/INFO]

When you're done, use Kies to upgrade to Froyo.

Last edited:

CuLaytAh

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
after rooting and making sure i have superuser app on my phone, i wasn't able to use the Titanium Backup..it show's that my phone isn't rooted. what am i missing?

Last edited:

aleighn8

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
This is the transcript when I ran the rooting program. Although it states that I passed the rooting test, several programs that require root will not root because it said root has not been obtained. I just clicked the first box under the universal tab that said "root." Suggestions?

busybox: /system/xbin/sendmail: No space left on device

busybox: /system/xbin/seq: No space left on device

busybox: /system/xbin/setarch: No space left on device

busybox: /system/xbin/setconsole: No space left on device

busybox: /system/xbin/setfont: No space left on device

busybox: /system/xbin/setkeycodes: No space left on device

OK

Pushing Superuser.apk...
failed to copy 'C:\Users\Amanda\Downloads\SuperOneClickv1.7-ShortFuse\Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/Superuser.apk': No space left on device

OK

Pushing Superuser.apk... (/data/app)
117 KB/s (196521 bytes in 1.632s)

OK

Remounting system with read-only access...

OK

Running a SU test...
Success!

drkid

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
i cant download the drivers ..i have the 32 bit and samsung glaxy s 4g phone. can u show me the right driver cuz theres some links that show other drivers.. thanks hope to hear from u

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
i cant download the drivers ..i have the 32 bit and samsung glaxy s 4g phone. can u show me the right driver cuz theres some links that show other drivers.. thanks hope to hear from u

I'd give you the link but I don't have access to my computer til later. Just google galaxy s 4g drivers and you should be able to find them.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

porpherion

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Screen seems dead, buttons don't light, tried android screencast and it doesn't recognize the usb connection, neither does adb.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Screen seems dead, buttons don't light, tried android screencast and it doesn't recognize the usb connection, neither does adb.

Dang, that's not good. Did Odin flash everything correctly (did it come up with PASS at the end)?

There's a secondary bootloader in the Odin package, but it's a Vibrant bootloader so there shouldn't have been any flashing issues.