Vibrant with Launcher Pro = BATTERY DRAIN

dsutton1026

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

Long-ish story but I know someone will respond "i like the colors of touchwiz" so I feel like I have to say my piece..

I'm sure this isn't just me but just wondering your guys' thoughts and opinions. I bought my Vibrant back in the beginning of August. I was a Blackberry user since 2005 and was ready to be done. I felt Blackberry was really falling behind and my damn trackball kept getting stuck and I definitely did not want to commit to Blackberry for another 2 years by upgrading to a phone with a trackpad.

Needless to say I was excited about Android but I didn't love a lot of the Android devices. I have an amazing grandfathered T-Mobile plan that really saves a ton of money so didn't want to jump carriers. I didn't want a MyTouch or a G1 and the Vibrant seemed the obvious choice. However, before I even bought it I hated the look of touchwiz. All the bright colors and colorful iphone like boxes really is not my style. I knew Android was really customizable and decided to make the jump.

Since then I've messed around with my Vibrant a bit, trying different launchers and what not. I've stuck with Launcher Pro because I like the way I've been able to customize the phone so everything is very clean. (I added a picture of my device in case you're interested) My problem is that Launcher Pro is obviously continuously running with an average of 13.5MB being used. This puts a strain on the already weak battery life. With moderate use I'm finding the battery low by 5 or 6pm and I really wish I could just go one full day.

What do you guys do? I haven't rooted my device and would customizing a rooted device save some juice on my Vibrant's battery? I'd rather not root since I've had some hardware issues on my Vibrant and have had to have two new devices and don't want to void my warranty if something else goes wrong. Have any of you bought the extended battery? Are any of you using ADK or a different launcher with less battery drain? I'm curious as to what you knowledgeable fandroids have to say. :)

BTW I'm running 2.1 with the latest update which includes a Task Manager. I know there are mixed opinions on a task manager but I do kill running applications I don't use using the manager. I don't notice much of a battery difference though.

Countbunny

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Uh......wow!

I was reading this thinking did I write this and forgot I posted here! Just about mirror image problems and scenario! I wish I had the answer as I was just about to post the same question. I agree the phone is blatant rip of the iphone 3g and touchwiz adds to that in a bad way. I have great deal with T-mobile as well and am also a former Blackberry user too. Started with the Blackberry 8700 and ended with the 9700.

dsutton1026

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! I found the guide pretty helpful. I'll avoid using the task manager and see what difference that makes.

Also, I following the directions for removing the WiFi sleep mode and so far so good. My phone has been unplugged for a few hours and I'm still at 100% which is unusual.

Thanks again.

dsutton1026

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE: After following the directions for removing WiFi during sleep mode my phone's battery life is completely different. After pretty heavy usage (including playing Angry Birds Seasons) my battery is at 50% at 7pm. My battery has never been that good!
Definitely recommend that link to all Vibrant users, running stock TouchWiz or modified.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2