[VIBRANT FROYO] The official update thread

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Froyo for the Vibrant is supposed to start pushing out today. Presumably the initial batch will be pretty small. If you get it, sound off here! If you don't have it yet, keep yer trap shut. :p

Oh, and a reminder that where you live/are has nothing to do with when you get the update. :)

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Got mine this morning through keis mini! Dunno if it's on OTA - and yes - it is KA6 - which is weird because KA7 just leaked out - but what the hell...

Jack

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
What is this keis thing? Keep hearing about it but no one ever explains it. Is it the software that Samsung uses to push the OTA through or something?

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok so im assuming then that i am doing the process wrong by going through settings>software update to check for the update?
Cause every time I choose the option it keeps saying 'No Firmware"

Do I need to use this Kies thing to do the update?
And is it an app for the device or a program for a computer?

jdm4u

Samsungian
Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok so im assuming then that i am doing the process wrong by going through settings>software update to check for the update?
Cause every time I choose the option it keeps saying 'No Firmware"

Do I need to use this Kies thing to do the update?
And is it an app for the device or a program for a computer?

I think going through to phone to search for updates is for OTA updates, and so from what i read its only available through kies at the moment.

To get the update now, you have to use Kies Mini. Its a program for the computer. Search XDA-developers for a direct link to download it. Once downloaded, open it, then on your phone go to setting>applications>usb settings and put ask on connection, you could just put kies but idk, i put ask on connection lol. Then Kies will read your phone, tell you theres an update and you can choose to update or not.

Reactions: beandon

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I see, thank you very much for your help, it'll be a while until i get access to a computer that i can make this happen with. Was hoping that it would be done directly through the device, but i guess not.

If anyone knows of a way to do it straight through the device, please let me know.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Have other vibrant updates been done through kies? Seems kind of strange, I bet most users will never even know this is available.

mgoldblatt

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok - so I've got kies mini installed, and when I connect my phone, it detects it, but says for Firmware version "Unregistered device". Anybody got any suggestions?

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Have other vibrant updates been done through kies? Seems kind of strange, I bet most users will never even know this is available.

All of the Samsung Froyo updates here in Canada went through Kies. The diffrence here is that I don't have to be personally notified that there is an update. Samsung just posted on their website that froyo is available for all of Telus users( they then announced that Froyo is avaible for Bell "" Rogers ""). All I did was to open kies and plug in my phone-installed the 2.2.

dsutton1026

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Did you guys download the drivers from Samsung's official website? If not try here:
Samsung

It seemed to recognize my device with USB Debugging ON. Try that?

It says its updating now. Wish me luck!...

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Kies is tempermental - try reconnecting the device. Also, make sure that you have the option set under "what would you like to do under USB connect" to "choose" so you can pick the "Keis" option there - I had to connect and reconnect several times this morning to get it to recognize my phone.

End conclusion - Keis is Cancer

Jack

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca