05-25-2011 12:55 AM
87 1234
tools
    Anyone else not able to send mms? Had this problem with several custom roms and now with the official 2.2. Was working perfect before the update.
    I had this issue as well and i found the cause. MMS works on both 10 and 11 digit numbers. what happens is when we add a number into the phone we will enter it like (555) 555-5555 or 555-555-5555 now this works perfectly for sms but spaces brackets or hyphens ad an extra character and this is not any good for MMS on the Froyo builds I have used and.

What i did to fix this was got to Gmail and the contacts and them export them in a CVS file. Opening this in Excel I then copied the row that has the phone numbers and pasted it in a new sheet, following up with a find and replace for each special character I needed to remove. I then copied and pasted my results back into the original worksheet and saved my work. So now I have a cvs file that all my phone numbers went from (123) 456-7890 to 1234567890 I then cleared my entire contact list on the google site and imported the cvs file back. Now my mms works with no issues and when I look at a contact the number is displayed 123-456-7890 but if you edit it it is 1234567890

Sorry if this is confusing only got 2 hours of sleep.
    KCphotog likes this.
    01-23-2011 11:51 AM
    I had this issue as well and i found the cause. MMS works on both 10 and 11 digit numbers. what happens is when we add a number into the phone we will enter it like (555) 555-5555 or 555-555-5555 now this works perfectly for sms but spaces brackets or hyphens ad an extra character and this is not any good for MMS on the Froyo builds I have used and.

What i did to fix this was got to Gmail and the contacts and them export them in a CVS file. Opening this in Excel I then copied the row that has the phone numbers and pasted it in a new sheet, following up with a find and replace for each special character I needed to remove. I then copied and pasted my results back into the original worksheet and saved my work. So now I have a cvs file that all my phone numbers went from (123) 456-7890 to 1234567890 I then cleared my entire contact list on the google site and imported the cvs file back. Now my mms works with no issues and when I look at a contact the number is displayed 123-456-7890 but if you edit it it is 1234567890

Have tried that and still no go. Guess its of to Team Whiskeys new rom.
    01-23-2011 12:42 PM
    Have tried that and still no go. Guess its of to Team Whiskeys new rom.
    edit one number on the phone from the contact manager making sure they are 10 digits and nothing else trust me after hours of trouble shooting I hammered out what the issue is.
    01-23-2011 01:21 PM
    has anyone else noticed that after the update the "snooze" feature on the alarm clock no longer works?
    did your alarm screen change as well? mine changed from having to press and hold a close button to swiping a close button (like answering a phone call). i just checked the snooze feature, its the exact same thing as rejecting a phone call (swipe from right to left). i like it =D
    01-23-2011 02:28 PM
    did your alarm screen change as well? mine changed from having to press and hold a close button to swiping a close button (like answering a phone call). i just checked the snooze feature, its the exact same thing as rejecting a phone call (swipe from right to left). i like it =D

yes it changed, and i would like it too if when i hit snooze it actually went off again. never had any problems with it until the update.
    01-24-2011 10:44 AM
    nevermind, works again. just had to clear the data figures.
    01-24-2011 11:12 AM
    So...is it worth my time to update to the official Froyo? Or is it too buggy? I don't want to have a Vibrant phone with more bugs than it already has.
    01-24-2011 11:50 AM
    i'm sure you can get the apk for it somewhere online...
    01-24-2011 01:51 PM
    Ok, I downloaded Froyo on Friday and I had it through the weekend.

What I like:

1) The Wi-Fi calling feature is great! Unlike UMA on other phones I had with T-Mobile, I can use this with Bluetooth and I had no problems with it.

2) I noticed it ready my SD Card much faster than before.

What I didn't like:

1) The phone is slower and less responsive. This is very noticeable. It's pretty frustrating!

2)The phone has also completely stalled on my twice and I had to reboot.
    01-24-2011 04:36 PM
    yea, it communicates to the SD card a whole lot faster. the only times i notice the delay is when there is any type of text input. but it might be because its trying to refer to a word bank for autofill purposes. its a bit annoying, but it isnt that much worse than it used to be on 2.1 anyway.

sometimes it takes a bit of time to load up my home screens after i end all apps through the app monitor... but its not too big a deal.
    01-24-2011 07:08 PM
    is anyone else having mms sending issues? i can receive but I cannot send.. let me know if you have this issue or, if not, what I might have to check on to make it work again.

Thanks!
    01-24-2011 07:55 PM

oh yeesh.. this is the fix? i have no clue where to start on this. lol
    01-24-2011 07:58 PM
    sounds like a carrier issue TBH, dont see how the update could effect that

imo
    01-24-2011 09:21 PM
    After all this time the update feels rushed and poor.
    I don't mean to troll, that's not my intention. However, I think T-Mobile got a TON of pressure from the outside to get this released, and I doubt they would have waited even if they were finding issues. Notice that Sprint promised to update the Epic by the end of last year and STILL hasn't released it.

I'm not sure what Samsung was thinking when they released this handset, but I doubt people will forget how slow it was updated or how terribly it performed.
    01-24-2011 09:22 PM
    I definitely agree that the update feels rushed. There really isn't much to it. I haven't tried the GPS at all. The one thing I can tell you is that my phone bricked. I was rooted and apparently that was an issue for Samsung and T-Mobile. I had to Odin back to JFD then J16 THEN try Kies again to get KA6... The only problem that I am having is that my phone keeps randomly rebooting. 5-6 times a day. And even though I have the phone on Silent it overrides the volume and reboots full volume. That's an issue when I'm in the middle of Language&Composition... If this doesn't get fixed Tmobile and I are going to have some issues... again... Sadly I think I'll still be buying Samsung products. What can I say? It's like a drug to me...
    01-24-2011 09:27 PM
    I think T-Mobile got a TON of pressure from the outside to get this released, and I doubt they would have waited even if they were finding issues.
    T-Mobile did not release this update, it came directly from Samsung. T-Mob is still holding back the OTA update for whatever reason.
    01-24-2011 09:29 PM
    Maybe because it was going to behave this way? XD

So far I'm pretty happy with the Froyo update. Battery life is a bit better, swiping from screen to screen with ADW.Launcher 1.2.1 installed is much more snappy. Although Handcent Force Closed today, that hasn't happened in a while.

GPS was seriously possessed today, it took me 7 miles driving down a rather straight freeway for it to figure itself out. At least.

Wifi calling works well. I just think it's lame that it uses your plan minutes.
    01-24-2011 10:09 PM
    Hi there. I just updated my Vibrant and was wondering, is it possible to get the notification bar/brightness adjust functionality back?

I found it really useful, but it seems to be gone with the update.
    SHOULD still be there. Mine is, not sure how to fix tho.
    01-24-2011 10:18 PM
    far as I can tell, for me gps seems accurate, though latitude updates seem to bee f for some reason, where they were working better before...

I have noticed that the battery gauge actually seems more accurate.

let's not forget, wired and wireless headsets now work for voice dialing
    so that also means vlingo is fully functional

I think while it's not lag free, it definitely seems to be faster overall.

sucks they changed some setting to do with the lock screens, as tasker can no longer disable the pattern lock while leaving the swipe unlock enabled...
    hopefully they find a fix for that...

Overall, the voice dialing and wifi calling alone for me make it well worth while...though still hope t-mo or sammy will let 2.2.1 out of the bag given the supposed performance boost it brings.
    01-24-2011 11:11 PM
    I was without Avatar until today
    01-24-2011 11:11 PM
    In addition to what's already been mentioned, here's a couple of things I discovered from the Froyo update on the Vibrant:

1. If you have a Mac with Windows running in a VM like Parallels Desktop or VMWare, Mini Kies will not be able to update your phone. It will only work if you're booted directly into Windows using Boot Camp.

2. Samsung's Music Player now reads standard Android playlist files, so if you use apps like TuneSync or DoubleTwist AirSync to sync your music and playlists, Sammy's Music Player app will now read the playlists that those other apps create.

3. Samsung has implemented a Gingerbread feature: when editing text, tap the text entry box and a small slider appears so you can precision place the cursor. Select/Copy/Paste tool icons also appear when you do this. I noticed Motorola's implementation of Froyo has similar features.
    01-24-2011 11:47 PM
    Pros (for me):
    GPS works better
    Flash
    Tethering
    Wi-Fi Calling
    Auto-rotation lock on notification screen
    Flash
    Improved Task Manager
    Chrome to phone
    New Voice search, gmail and Youtube apps (have to be updated via market)
    No gallery lag
    Cons:
    Auto-mount on USB connect
    MMS bug (however removing '-' from contacts' numbers works to fix it)
    Power Button ends calls when on speaker phone
    Recovery 3e (it was a pain to re-root)
    The method of updating. . . T-mobile (or Samsung) really could have done better then a manual update.
    01-25-2011 12:44 AM
    Samsung Epic owner here....wow, never would I have thought T-Mobile would allow a manual update NOT coming from them directly. This all goes to show that both parties are necessary in making an update of this type. Hmmm.
    01-25-2011 06:41 AM
    What happened to the android keyboard its gone
    01-25-2011 09:57 AM
    Good
    - much, much faster
    - new T-mobile tv app
    - flash sites on web browsing

Bad
    - Start up jingle comes on full blast every time you power up (even if on vibrate). Every fix I've read for this involves rooting the phone
    - Avatar movie wouldn't play -- fixed using the DRM cache clear process.
    - MMS messages would not send -- fixed by downloading 3rd party app, GO SMS (Handcent and Chomp are supposed to work as well). I also read that if you remove all special characters from your contacts numbers (dashes, plus signs, spaces, etc.) that it should fix the problem -- needless to say, it was easier to download an app.
    - When managing my photos via my desktop, the pics duplicate themselves on the phone each time i disconnect from the computer -- still looking for away to resolve this one.
    01-25-2011 12:07 PM
87 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD