T-Mo Vibrant - Download Mode Only - Device Not Recognized

Astrosdad

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I have looked around pretty hard to the answer on this one. Close but no cigar.

Phone, Samsung T959
ROM BionixV 1.3.1
Kernel Overstock 1.4.3

PC Windows XP SP3

ADB/SDK installed and functioning properly

Have tried a number of drivers, from Samsung download drivers, to miniKies drivers, to PDAnet drivers, including full uninstalls of all devices and drivers with usbDeview, and regedits to clean out the ghosts.

The phone is recognized by the PC when it is in normal mode. I can load apk's, send commands to the phone, reboot recovery, reboot download etc. No problems. The phone is recognized with model and serial number with adb devices.

However, if the phone is in download mode and connected to the PC, or kicked into download through ADB, the PC immediately fails to recognize the device. Believe me I have tried all combinations of connecting, disconnecting, antivirus on antivirus off, unplug computer from the wall, stand on my head.
I have tried manually updating drivers with the phone connected to the PC while the phone is in download mode. No joy.Device Manager shows "Unknown Device" Properties Device shows No drivers are installed for this device.

I am unable to manually install or update a driver for the device when it is in Download mode.

The only problem I am having is with Download mode. The PC just drops the phone. Like there is some kind of device signature problem with the phone when it is in download mode.

Any ideas?

Astro

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you have another computer you can try? Also make sure you're connected to a USB port directly connected to the motherboard (back of a desktop).

Alonline

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Download Mode Only - Device Not Recognized

make sure you're connected to a USB port directly connected to the motherboard (back of a desktop)

I just signed up to say thank you for this. I've had the same issue as the OP for the last week, ever since I ended up with a Samsung phone. I've reinstalled the drivers many times, occasionally had an Unknown Device or Gadget Serial when the phone was in Download Mode - but just couldn't get Odin to see it. Then I plugged the USB cable into a port actually on the motherboard and "voila!" - instant success!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Download Mode Only - Device Not Recognized

Try pulling the battery out of the device and leaving it out. Then connect your USB cable, power into Download Mode and run the Odin package.

Dunno why but this particular method has saved many...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude