HTC One S vs Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I know there are other threads like this but, i have different needs.
I plan on using the $30 a month tmobile plan with 5gb 4g data. I can get a galaxy nexus unlocked on google play for $ 400 and the htc one s for 450. My main concern was if there was a considerable difference i data speed between the hspa+ 21 mbps versus the htc's 42 hspa+ data speeds. i still dont get this much and am still confused if it means double the speed. i am a data hog and right now im on virgin mobile *shudder* and it has really slow 3g using sprint. 4g datais available on tmo where i live( its the only one where i live that gets 4g) , and i was just curious if there was a considerable difference in speed. If there is, then I will get an HTC one s and if not then the galaxy nexus it is. I have foud there are pros and cons and i have settled on this being the breaking point. thanks to all who answer!:)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I know there are other threads like this but, i have different needs.
I plan on using the $30 a month tmobile plan with 5gb 4g data. I can get a galaxy nexus unlocked on google play for $ 400 and the htc one s for 450. My main concern was if there was a considerable difference i data speed between the hspa+ 21 mbps versus the htc's 42 hspa+ data speeds. i still dont get this much and am still confused if it means double the speed. i am a data hog and right now im on virgin mobile *shudder* and it has really slow 3g using sprint. 4g datais available on tmo where i live( its the only one where i live that gets 4g) , and i was just curious if there was a considerable difference in speed. If there is, then I will get an HTC one s and if not then the galaxy nexus it is. I have foud there are pros and cons and i have settled on this being the breaking point. thanks to all who answer!:)

It really depends on your needs. I for one like HTC devices. So if it was me I'd go with the HTC One s. But if you don't like contracts then the gnex is where it's at. I think either phone will serve you well. Now do you want a bigger screen or can you live with one s screen size?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
It depends on if your area even has hspa+42 or 21 in your area; T-Mobile will call both of them 4G. You could ask T-Mobile and they'd let you know. Chances are you wouldn't see much of a difference in most places between the Galaxy Nexus and the One S.

As a side note, where can you get the One S for $450?

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the One S in NYC a HSPA 42 area. Here are some of the speeds I've gotten:

d0362deb-8b3c-52b1.jpg

d0362deb-8b5b-25da.jpg

Sent from my HTC One S

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
The HTC One S is a really nice phone. Solid construction, unlike earlier HTC models. It feels great in the hand and the screen is really nice. Plus Sense 4.0 combined with ICS is a fantastic setup. It's really a step up form the Samsung imo.

As for HSPA + 42, you will notice the difference. This is one area where T-Mobile is smoking AT&T, who is stuck with older networks that top out with HSPA +21. Also, in my area I find HSPA + 42 to be every bit as fast as Verizon's LTE. But, that may not be the case everywhere, but regardless it should be plenty fast enough for you.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Maybe even add the HTC Amaze to your considerations since it's essentially the same specs as the One S but you can find it for cheaper and it's often free with a contract when T-Mobile runs specials.

Of course the stock Amaze has ICS 4.0.3 and Sense 3.6 but development has been kicking up lately with everything from ICS with Sense 4.0 to a ICS/Jellybean hybrid which i'm currently using and love it! Beats audio? Yep got that too.

The Galaxy Nexus is a great phone too but the camera isnt quite as good and you cant add more storage.

dalmi

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would pick the HTC one s, the nexus radios just can't cut it. But I will say stock ICS, soon to be jelly bean, is an awesome os!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dalmi

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Hmm if its only with the vzw galaxy nexus then it looks like I need to get the gsm version and a prepaid T-Mobile card.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC