Questions Before Switching to Pay as You Go

wr1020

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey all, brand new here to the forums and also about to be a brand new Android user. I've been with AT&T for close to four years and have owned nothing but iphones. I'm tired of the same OS and also tired of two year contracts so i'm looking to buy a Galaxy Nexus directly from google and going with a pay as you go. From browsing the Tmobile site i see that i can port my number from ATT which is what i plan on doing. I'm going with the $30 100 minutes and "unlimited" data (5 gb) and unlimited texting plan. Does anyone know once i go through the activation of the new phone and port the number over if that automatically cancels my service with ATT? Do i have to call them to cancel my line after i get my t mobile service up and running or when the port happens does that cancel my service automatically? I've already fulfilled a two year contract, it ended back in April so i know i won't have any ETF's etc. I sent in the form yesterday to get my current iphone unlocked as well to up the re sale value a bit.

Also, once i activate my service with t mobile will all the features of the phone as in texting, data, etc work right out of the box? I was looking to use my current iphone with a straight talk plan but saw that MMS can be an issue with iphones and straight talk. If anyone can answer any of these questions i'd appreciate it, thanks!

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
1. Keep your AT&T account active so that you can port your number to the new T-Mobile account. Do not cancel it until that process is finished (it might take a couple of days for the transfer to complete). But this won't automatically cancel your actual AT&T account. You still need to call them to cancel service.

2. Text, MMS and data should all work out of the box with a T-Mobile SIM. If you run into issues, you can always verify the APN settings.