Some important details about T-Mobile's 30/Month 4G

terminalinfinity

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I've browsed the T-mobile forum here and noticed a lot of speculation and misinformation about the $30/Month 100 Minutes of Talk/Unlimited Text/Unlimited data plan so I thought I would share some thing's I've learned from personal experience here that should be known to those considering it:
-You have no roaming data. You see the data map on the T-mobile website and think you have a lot of 4G coverage. However that is likely the post-paid map which includes 250/MB of roaming data on AT&T. I still have solid 4G coverage, just I know a lot of places where it shows I should have it is where AT&T would be providing it and I get EDGE or nothing. You still get voice roaming.
-You have to have a phone bought from T-mobile or Wal-Mart that hasn't been activated before. You can switch afterwards but you must start your service with this phone. T-mobile and Wal-mart have contracts together dictating that plan is only available to the aforementioned customers. I know reps at the t-mobile store outside of work who couldn't help me because they could get into a lot of trouble. This said, I have heard of people getting T-mobile to allow them to activate other phones on the plan. You can try
-You can get more minutes that are automatically deducted from a floating balance you keep in your account. Minutes are 10c each.
-My average 4G speeds are about 2-7/MB a second down so netflix streams with ease. EDGE speeds are about 10/KB sec. Its pretty functional, if you have a little patience and dont expect to stream anything. No complaints for 30/month.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Re: Some important details about T-mobile's 30/Month 4G

I am in central coastal California and gt data roaming on AT&T at 3G speeds just fine, at least within 300 miles in all directions. Many of us have bought Galaxy Nexus phones from Google Play Store and activated them directly on the TMobile website with no issues, after ordering the TMobile activation kit online.

Phljjs

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

"-You have to have a phone bought from T-mobile or Wal-Mart that hasn't been activated before. "

Not true at all. I purchased a brand new GS3 on Ebay and got a SIM activation kit from T-Mobile for $1.00. I simply installed the SIM into the GS3 and activated it myself on T-Mobile.com, choosing the $30/Month 4G plan (aka, the Wal-Mart plan). I didn't purchase anything from Wal-Mart and the only thing purchased from T-Mobile was the SIM and eventually after activation, the monthly service. As someone else has stated, many people have T-Mobile service with this monthly plan using unlocked Nexus phones purchased from the Play Store, not T-Mobile or Wal-Mart.

While you are correct about the lack of roaming and the ability to buy more minutes at 10cents each, if your intent was to make a post correcting misinformation or highlighting the "fine print" of the plan, you may want to make sure that you're not also misinformed yourself. While your heart may have been in the right place, the "important details" that you posted further contribute to the confusion, speculation and misinformation regarding this plan.

terminalinfinity

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I am in central coastal California and gt data roaming on AT&T at 3G speeds just fine, at least within 300 miles in all directions. Many of us have bought Galaxy Nexus phones from Google Play Store and activated them directly on the TMobile website with no issues, after ordering the TMobile activation kit online.

"-You have to have a phone bought from T-mobile or Wal-Mart that hasn't been activated before. "

Not true at all. I purchased a brand new GS3 on Ebay and got a SIM activation kit from T-Mobile for $1.00. I simply installed the SIM into the GS3 and activated it myself on T-Mobile.com, choosing the $30/Month 4G plan (aka, the Wal-Mart plan). I didn't purchase anything from Wal-Mart and the only thing purchased from T-Mobile was the SIM and eventually after activation, the monthly service. As someone else has stated, many people have T-Mobile service with this monthly plan using unlocked Nexus phones purchased from the Play Store, not T-Mobile or Wal-Mart.

While you are correct about the lack of roaming and the ability to buy more minutes at 10cents each, if your intent was to make a post correcting misinformation or highlighting the "fine print" of the plan, you may want to make sure that you're not also misinformed yourself. While your heart may have been in the right place, the "important details" that you posted further contribute to the confusion, speculation and misinformation regarding this plan.
I believe both of you are misinformed. Like I said, I have heard of instances of where people have activated non wal-mart or t-mobile bought phones being activated on the 30/month 5GB plan. However on T-mobile's website it says under the $30 plan:
"New activations only. Available exclusively in-store at Walmart, on Walmart.com, and T-Mobile.com"
Also on wal-mart's website under the 30 dollar refill card there are a lot of reviews of people unable to activate their phone on the 30/month plan. I believe the filter may have something to do with the SIM card since people with activation kits bought at wal-mart and the t-mobile website and have been able to activate. But when I tried to activate a Samsung Dart I bought at radio shack on sale the first time and I tried to get on the plan at the t-mobile store, they said they weren't authorized because of the contract between t-mobile and walmart. Some people have success, others don't. I stated that. However it is something someone looking into the plan should be aware of. You wouldn't want to drop 500+ on a full price GS III on ebay expecting to save with the 30 a month plan and then not be able to get the plan.
From wal-mart's website on the 30 refill card
"The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com. "
A little bit of research revealed this:
Customer Requirements For T-Mobile/Wal-Mart $30 Prepaid Plan, HTTPS Data Blocked? | | TmoNewsTmoNews
Indeed you can activate your phone if you purchased a kit at walmart or online. But you CANT buy a Galaxy Exhibit II at K-mart and activate it on the plan. You would have to get a whole new SIM card in the activation kit from walmart or t-mobile and activate it that way.

I also know with 100% certainty that prepaid does not get roaming data. On T-mobile's prepaid coverage map it says "capable device required for network connection and 3G and 4G speeds. Data available on the T-Mobile network only (data roaming not available). " I knew this because I get 3G speeds in my building at work on AT&T's network at 3 bars. However if I ever go to use data, because of the lack of T-mobile 4G coverage out there, it will freeze and then reconnect on T-mobile's EDGE at 1 bar.

Also I almost forgot to note THREE MORE important things:
-You do not get any free wifi calling (unless by 3rd party app) or nights/weekends/t-mobile to t-mobile. Any minutes you use are deducted from the 100 allotment. (except, obviously, calls to 911)
-You cannot keep your current number.
-If you are a current T-mobile customer you will have to create a new account to make it look like you are a new activation.

Phljjs

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site

I believe both of you are misinformed. Like I said, I have heard of instances of where people have activated non wal-mart or t-mobile bought phones being activated on the 30/month 5GB plan. However on T-mobile's website it says under the $30 plan:
"New activations only. Available exclusively in-store at Walmart, on Walmart.com, and T-Mobile.com"
Also on wal-mart's website under the 30 dollar refill card there are a lot of reviews of people unable to activate their phone on the 30/month plan. I believe the filter may have something to do with the SIM card since people with activation kits bought at wal-mart and the t-mobile website and have been able to activate. But when I tried to activate a Samsung Dart I bought at radio shack on sale the first time and I tried to get on the plan at the t-mobile store, they said they weren't authorized because of the contract between t-mobile and walmart. Some people have success, others don't. I stated that. However it is something someone looking into the plan should be aware of. You wouldn't want to drop 500+ on a full price GS III on ebay expecting to save with the 30 a month plan and then not be able to get the plan.
From wal-mart's website on the 30 refill card
"The $30 Unlimited Web & Text with 100 min talk plan works only with T-Mobile Phones purchased from a Walmart store or from Walmart.com. "
A little bit of research revealed this:
Customer Requirements For T-Mobile/Wal-Mart $30 Prepaid Plan, HTTPS Data Blocked? | | TmoNewsTmoNews
Indeed you can activate your phone if you purchased a kit at walmart or online. But you CANT buy a Galaxy Exhibit II at K-mart and activate it on the plan. You would have to get a whole new SIM card in the activation kit from walmart or t-mobile and activate it that way.

I also know with 100% certainty that prepaid does not get roaming data. On T-mobile's prepaid coverage map it says "capable device required for network connection and 3G and 4G speeds. Data available on the T-Mobile network only (data roaming not available). " I knew this because I get 3G speeds in my building at work on AT&T's network at 3 bars. However if I ever go to use data, because of the lack of T-mobile 4G coverage out there, it will freeze and then reconnect on T-mobile's EDGE at 1 bar.

Also I almost forgot to note THREE MORE important things:
-You do not get any free wifi calling (unless by 3rd party app) or nights/weekends/t-mobile to t-mobile. Any minutes you use are deducted from the 100 allotment. (except, obviously, calls to 911)
-You cannot keep your current number.
-If you are a current T-mobile customer you will have to create a new account to make it look like you are a new activation.

You can believe whatever you'd like. I and I'm sure many people who read these forums believe that you are misinformed and doing this community a disservice by continually posting incorrect information.

There aren't just "instances"of people activating phones on this plan with non-Walmart devices or without ever stepping foot inside a Walmart, there are THOUSANDS of people doing so.

One of your problems is that you went to a T-Mobile store or kiosk and attempted to activate a phone on this plan. That is not allowed and from what I've read, the rate plan doesn't even show up in thier computer systems for them to even attempt it. The operators at customer care can't even activate phones on that rate plan as it's strictly web only or Walmart. When a potential customer runs into an issue with web activation, they call customer care and are often transferred from department to department until someone in web support is able to push the activation onto the $30 plan through. I have no idea why you would go to a store for activation when you just posted information that clearly says you can only activate onto that plan at Walmart or T-Mobile.com and the info on the plan clearly states "web only" or Walmart.

And where did you get that you couldn't keep your current number?
I ported my number over from Sprint. When I activated online, it asked me if i wanted to keep my current number or be issued a new one. Obviously, I chose to keep the number I've had for 14 years and the port was completed in less than 1 hour.

I don't know what your deal is. What I do know is that you keep posting information that's not entirely correct, but continue to claim that everyone else is wrong except you, and that if you had done what thousands of other people had done, followed the directions and tried to activate the "web only" rate plan on the web and not in a T-Mobile store that isn't allowed to offer you that rate plan, you likely wouldn't have had any issues.

Maybe you're just a troll, maybe you're some kind of anti-TMO/ pro VZW or whoever fan boy? Who knows? Maybe you're a guy who just has to be right or sound smart and like he knows what he's talking about? It's pretty clear to anyone who reads your posts about this subject that you're not right and don't know what you're talking about.
Like I said before..
"The "important details" that you posted further contribute to the confusion, speculation and misinformation regarding this plan."

Last edited:

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

You need to buy a phone from Walmart if you're activating the plan through Walmart. If you're activating through T-Mobile.com you only need to be a new customer (or, more accurately, open a new account).

Pkt_Lnt

yes, that old
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I believe both of you are misinformed. Like I said, I have heard of instances of where people have activated non wal-mart or t-mobile bought phones being activated on the 30/month 5GB plan.

Well, big difference. I am not "misinformed", this is my REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE. Roaming agreements vary with TMo and AT&T. In central coastal CA where I live (and USE MY PHONE), I get data roaming.

It is funny when you say "I have heard".

Me, REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE. You, heresy. Who, my fiend, is "misinformed", hmmmmm?

PhxBlue

Super Geek
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

Activated my Play store Gnex on this plan today thru a rep on the phone after i ordered and received the prepaid sim kit. I had no issues at all.

Gasner D

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site

after reading all your misinformation it seems like you're a blind man trying to lead another blind man.

kellsarah

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

The phone doesn't have to be new, just the SIM has to be new for activation on this plan. We just put my wife's Galaxy S3 that was still under contract with T-Mobile on the $30 dollar Walmart plan. We had to buy the new activation kit/SIM from Walmart. When I activated it online the web site said I couldn't port her number so I just activated it with a new one. After activating the new plan I called to cancel the contract with T-Mobile and they asked me if I wanted to port my number out, and they let me port the number to the $30 dollar Walmart plan that I had activated already. Less than an hour later her Galaxy S3 was working on this plan with her old phone number.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

You have no roaming data.

Could anybody explain this to me. (Sorry to post from a necro-thread). Does this mean that on Tmo prepaid 4G plans that you only get data in your home zip code or thereabouts? Are you totally cut off from data if you visit other cities?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Could anybody explain this to me. (Sorry to post from a necro-thread). Does this mean that on Tmo prepaid 4G plans that you only get data in your home zip code or thereabouts? Are you totally cut off from data if you visit other cities?

No, if you go to an area where T-Mobile has no service, contact/post paid customers will be able to connect to an AT&T signal if there is one (although only at 2G speeds).

Prepaid customers will just have no signal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

For the prepaid plans domestic roaming is in "service partner areas." These are the areas on the coverage map marked by stripes - you usually need to zoom in to see this. An example of one I've been in that you can search on is Kremmling CO. Prepaid T-Mobile gets voice only in these "service partner" areas. As an FYI Solavei gets 2g data roaming in these areas. I can confirm I had 2g data in Kremmling CO on Solavei.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

For the prepaid plans domestic roaming is in "service partner areas." These are the areas on the coverage map marked by stripes - you usually need to zoom in to see this. An example of one I've been in that you can search on is Kremmling CO. Prepaid T-Mobile gets voice only in these "service partner" areas. As an FYI Solavei gets 2g data roaming in these areas. I can confirm I had 2g data in Kremmling CO on Solavei.

Being a bit sarcastic here ------- I don't want to say this too loudly for fear that execs at Tmobile somehow have missed this --- end of sarcasm --- but I am genuinely baffled and confused as to why Solavei can offer so much more at a more affordable price. I don't think I've ever heard, seen, or read one complaint, rant, or negative comment about Solavei by its customers. Solavei just seems like a no brainer to me for anybody in a good Tmo service area. I would opt for Solavei in a second if I just had any sort of halfway decent coverage at home. I am hoping that Tmo LTE spectrum penetrates buildings better than its current service and that Solavei will have access to it once Tmo LTE is deployed in my city.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site

Being a bit sarcastic here ------- I don't want to say this too loudly for fear that execs at Tmobile somehow have missed this --- end of sarcasm --- but I am genuinely baffled and confused as to why Solavei can offer so much more at a more affordable price. I don't think I've ever heard, seen, or read one complaint, rant, or negative comment about Solavei by its customers. Solavei just seems like a no brainer to me for anybody in a good Tmo service area. I would opt for Solavei in a second if I just had any sort of halfway decent coverage at home. I am hoping that Tmo LTE spectrum penetrates buildings better than its current service and that Solavei will have access to it once Tmo LTE is deployed in my city.

I think the easy answer is T-Mobile is trying to 'encourage' customers to be on their post paid side. That at least answers the feature questions. The lack of data on the $50 and $60 plans is a bit baffling to me. I can only assume it's because they can get away with it. The majority of people have never heard of Solavei, or aren't comfortable with the idea of an MVNO. There are also some people willing to pay a premium to be able to go into a physical store - and T-Mobile has to pay for all those stores somehow.

Are you a GV user? Depending on your needs, Google Voice plus an Obi100 VoIP bridge makes a great home phone. I have cell service in my house, but I also set up an Obi100 connected to a multi-handset Panasonic phone - it's like having a home phone again. My GV number rings my cell and Obi100 simultaneously.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I can only assume it's because they can get away with it.

There must be something to that. It is hard for me to believe, but I've heard people mention that point over and over again when people ask whey the major carriers get away with charging such exorbitant contract rates. BTW, it is not only Tmo customers opting for the $50 and $60 instead of Solavei that is baffling, but also those opting for the $70 plan over Solavei's 4GB. Given 4GB is not unlimited, but that is a huge amount of data for a month. If I actually used that much data, I could live with being throttled down to 2G speeds for the remainder to the tune of saving $20 bucks a month. I'd just use Opera Mini.

Are you a GV user? Depending on your needs, Google Voice plus an Obi100 VoIP bridge makes a great home phone. I have cell service in my house, but I also set up an Obi100 connected to a multi-handset Panasonic phone - it's like having a home phone again. My GV number rings my cell and Obi100 simultaneously.

Yes, I am a GV user. Nice suggestion. I'll look into it. Thank you.

eledarmi

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

To clear the bad sayings about this plan up a little bit. I consulted this thread before even trying to get on this plan. (I was previously on Virgin Mobile $35/mo plan. I didn't care about the less minutes because of the VoIP. I have to be the luckiest person ever about this plan. I went to a T-Mobile store and bought a sim card. (Now $20!!!!!) I bought a micro because of my phone. (Nokia Lumina 710.) The CSR actually ACTIVATED MY PHONE. He argued with the T-mobile phone support line for 45 minutes and was finally able to get me activated. (This was free) He also PORTED MY NUMBER. In store for free. I also was able to pay my first month of service in the store as well! No having to go to wal-mart. And also this plan also includes free tethering. I am tethering now and I did not get any notice. My phone only gets the HSPA+ so 14.4. I actually get around 10 in my house which is AWESOME. I just love tmobile and how easy it was! My port was done before I walked out of the store! (Within 15 minutes)

BuffOrange

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site

I was a new customer who just got my Nexus from Google Monday. Ordered the simcard online. Couldn't activate online so called up. Girl on the phone played dumb for a minute, almost like she was intentionally hoping I would mistake the two different $30 plans. I said no I don't want the 1,500 minutes/msgs I want this one. Then she said this one was only available at Walmart. I said "no it's not - I see it as an option on my laptop when I try to activate". She says ok I'll register you on our other plan, get my supervisor to change it and call you back in a half hour. This had me worried a bit especially when she didn't call back in an hour, but when I called cust. svc they informed me I was in fact on the plan I wanted, which I was able to confirm online.

Just going by this experience, I think it's pretty clear that the rules/qualifications/guidelines for this plan can be a bit arbitrary depending on who you talk to. So I think it's a bit amusing that people here bicker about them being more knowledgeable about it than someone else. Equally as amusing is T-Mobile pretending like this plan doesn't exist when it clearly does. I mean at the end of the day I'm glad they have it but geez; should probably either offer it or don't.

essinger

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

She says ok I'll register you on our other plan, get my supervisor to change it and call you back in a half hour. This had me worried a bit especially when she didn't call back in an hour, but when I called cust. svc they informed me I was in fact on the plan I wanted, which I was able to confirm online.

They just did the same thing for me as well. Seems pretty clear T-Mobile doesn't want to honor this plan anymore, except through Walmart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz