Want to test out TMo pre-paid service. Advice, suggestions?

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey all.

Like a lot of you, I'm thinking about switching to Tmobile from Verizon when I can finally get my hands on a couple of Nexus 4s (me and the wife).

In the mean time, I'd like to test out the "4G" service while we still have our VZW accounts to make sure that TMo will work for us (home, work, commute, favorite night spots, etc.).
I'm planning on just signing up for one month of the $50 "Unlimited" service and need a phone to test it out with.

Suggestions for phones to try? Does the Galaxy Nexus that Google used to sell use the HSPA+ 42 network that the N4 uses? Or is it only HSPA+ 21? I can get a used GNex off Ebay for around $200 and probably keep it as a wifi only home device for my kid when we end up getting the N4s.

Anything else I should be aware of before doing this? Not familiar with TMobile at all. Are they as generic as they seem? It's a shame that this is the only carrier that Google is willing to work with this time around. It's hard to believe that VZW can push them around but will still bend over for Apple.

Thanks!

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Get the Exhibit 4G from T-Mobile for 199 with a included $100 refill card. Don't use the card.

Try it out. If you don't like it or it doesn't work for you, sell the refill card on eBay for $95 and the phone for about $120 or more. Very little loss there, just whatever you payed for your first month of service.

The Galaxy Exhibit is a very capable little phone too, especially with the Peach Sunrise ROM on it.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I checked out the Exhibit tonight at a Walmart and think I will pass on that idea. I'm not sure I could really determine if Tmobile is right for me or not with such a low tier phone.

I've been checking used Galaxy Nexus prices and think I can get one between $200-$250.

Then I'll either keep it or resell it again when I can get N4s.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
if you're mainly testing T-Mobile data just go with the $30/month monthly4G plan. That way you get a lot more data to burn through (5GB versus 200MB).

Also you could probably resell that GNex for at or very close to what you paid for it especially if the supply constraint of the Nexus 4 goes on for an extended period of time.

coled1981

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Could always test out Solavei as it is a prepaid that should give you more data that what tmobile prepaid does.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Android Central Forums

saint satin stain

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I have the 70 dollar plan, unlimited talk, unlimited text, and unlimited data (true unlimited, no 5 gig limit). T-Mobile behaves better than most corps. They've added or upgraded my service - no contract - 4 times without raising what I pay. Latest is removal of 5 gig cap on 4G. I get true unlimited 2, 3, and 4G. If I want I can pay 10 dollars more for a month or more for unlimited calls to 50 European countries
T-Mobile is a GSM carrier; most of world'scarriers are GSM. This week they gave me the unlock code, free.
2 weeks ago my Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G got upbdates from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich and ICS security OTA. The only advantage in 2 year conract is susidized phone. I didn't pay full price for my phone; T-Mobile runs special sales on web site sometimes. I paid 3 fifths of list.Since it's not subsidized phone they have to give unlock code free

I only use GSM carriers. In this country there's only ATT &T-MOBILE.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Android Central Forums

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
If you are in a metro area and don't travel much then you'll find their HSPA 4G to be about as fast as Verizon's LTE. I just did some speed test comparisons with my nephew who has a new Verizon LTE and in they were close. In fact in one part of the city I beat him.

If you aren't in a major area or travel quite a bit you should know T-Mobile's network is mostly EDGE, which is 2G and slow as mud for data. Voice quality is actually quite good. If you are in one of these areas I would recommend AT&T. Their HSPA network is just as fast as T-Mobile's, is more widely available and backed up by fast 3G. They also have a fairly sizable LTE network. One thing you can do on AT&T's network that you can't on Verizon is talk seamlessly while driving out of an LTE area into a HSPA one and onto a 3G area. With Verizon once you leave the LTE network you're trust down to 3G and dropped because their system can't hand off. Also, you can't use data and talk at the same time with Verizon LTE, but you can with AT&T's network.

Jon_Doh

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
SSS, an off topic question. How is the ICS upgrade working for you? I've heard it makes the Blaze sluggish and drains the battery. Would like to hear firsthand from somebody here who has upgraded and how it went. Thanks.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If you are in a metro area and don't travel much then you'll find their HSPA 4G to be about as fast as Verizon's LTE. I just did some speed test comparisons with my nephew who has a new Verizon LTE and in they were close. In fact in one part of the city I beat him.

If you aren't in a major area or travel quite a bit you should know T-Mobile's network is mostly EDGE, which is 2G and slow as mud for data. Voice quality is actually quite good. If you are in one of these areas I would recommend AT&T. Their HSPA network is just as fast as T-Mobile's, is more widely available and backed up by fast 3G. They also have a fairly sizable LTE network. One thing you can do on AT&T's network that you can't on Verizon is talk seamlessly while driving out of an LTE area into a HSPA one and onto a 3G area. With Verizon once you leave the LTE network you're trust down to 3G and dropped because their system can't hand off. Also, you can't use data and talk at the same time with Verizon LTE, but you can with AT&T's network.

I know for the talk and surf thing some phones (depending what the person has) can be work around thus issue. Such as I am on Sprint which is a CDMA 3g Carrier but the galaxy s3 (my phone) for them has dual chips so it allows me to do voice and data. I am not sure how many phones did this to bypass this issue of CDMA... But just wanted to point that out :).

I'd recommend att as well if you aren't in a major area. I used to be with them.. Their HSPA isn't bad. I only left because Sprint is good where I live (with LTE on the way) and I stream a lot so can't be paying overages on data :).

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

deano131

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I am on Verizon grandfathered unlimited data.$$$$ Contract ends in May. I started my testing already. Why not buy a N4 at the Google Store like I did. $335.00 shipped. Ordered my N4 on 03/4 and received it on 03/08. If I stay with Verizon I will sell my N4 on EBay. Right now my N4 is on ST Tmo. Wanted ST Att but sims are not available unless you want to pay $100 on eBay. I have a Att Net10 Sim ordered. Will test Net10 Att once my ST Tmo 30 day ends. I also have a original Tmo sim to test.

Right now I am happy with ST Tmo's data speeds much better then Verizon's 3G (don't own a 4G phone) but there voice reliability is another story. I live in Kansas and next to what I call the Cell Signal Bermuda Triangle, you enter and are lucky to get out. Verizon can enter and will barely pull you through but Tmo is MIA. If Att can't survive the Bermuda Triangle I will have to stay with Verizon. That is if I can let go of this N4. This phone itself may be enough for me to put up with Tmo's or Att (if Att has any) short comings.

unglued94ta

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I am on Verizon grandfathered unlimited data.$$$$ Contract ends in May. I started my testing already. Why not buy a N4 at the Google Store like I did. $335.00 shipped. Ordered my N4 on 03/4 and received it on 03/08. If I stay with Verizon I will sell my N4 on EBay. Right now my N4 is on ST Tmo. Wanted ST Att but sims are not available unless you want to pay $100 on eBay. I have a Att Net10 Sim ordered. Will test Net10 Att once my ST Tmo 30 day ends. I also have a original Tmo sim to test.

Right now I am happy with ST Tmo's data speeds much better then Verizon's 3G (don't own a 4G phone) but there voice reliability is another story. I live in Kansas and next to what I call the Cell Signal Bermuda Triangle, you enter and are lucky to get out. Verizon can enter and will barely pull you through but Tmo is MIA. If Att can't survive the Bermuda Triangle I will have to stay with Verizon. That is if I can let go of this N4. This phone itself may be enough for me to put up with Tmo's or Att (if Att has any) short comings.

I'm in kansas too. Where's this triangle at?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Android Central Forums

saint satin stain

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
SSS, an off topic question. How is the ICS upgrade working for you? I've heard it makes the Blaze sluggish and drains the battery. Would like to hear firsthand from somebody here who has upgraded and how it went. Thanks.
You have just given me a project. Now I get 16 hours and little bit more if I dont play music all day and use it for original purpose, phone, some surf etc. I have Juice Defender Ultimate, so I will turn it off and get back to your question.

I tend to go on and on and I did; so I edited, removed most so's not to offend folk here, especially moderators. I will post new thread with that info in appropriate forum.

saint satin stain

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
No. Fact is T-Mobile is trying new approach to compete better with ATT, Verrizon, and Sprint. They emphasize prepaid with some good plans, mine was 70 dollars a month for unlimited talk, text, and 2 and 3 G, plus 5 gigs of 4G. Now it is unlimited talk, text, and 2, 3, and 4 G. No cap. I never used more than 5 gigs of 4G anyway. This way I dont worry. I am a worrier. They are also upgrading their network.

As part of its break-up deal with AT&T, T-Mobile received cash and some much needed spectrum from AT&T, which the carrier is now putting to use in a massive network transition to build a 4G LTE network. And now Deutsche Telekom is on the hunt for more wireless spectrum to help T-Mobile compete against its rivals. The deal with MetroPCS is meant to give T-Mobile more of this valuable asset.

T-Mobile is a GSM carrier and MetroPCS is a CDMA carrier. So why are these two companies combining forces? Sounds like an integration nightmare.
This is a good question. And it's one that analysts have been asking since the deal was first rumored. But T-Mobile CEO John Legere says this won't be a major issue for either company, since T-Mobile and MetroPCS have already begun repurposing or refarming their existing spectrum to deploy 4G LTE services. He also argues that the companies are well suited for each other since they use the same slivers of spectrum in the PCS band as well as in the Advanced Wireless Service or AWS band of spectrum. This should make it easier to tie the two services together.

What T-Mobile's merger with MetroPCS means to you (FAQ) | Mobile - CNET News
For folk who use T-Mobile and MetroPC I say stay with your companies. The rest of the world is GSM, so T-Mobile and ATT (both GSM) are positioned in best place for the future. The rest of USA's major carriers and most, if not all, of the minor ones are CDMA.

T-Mobile not pushing contracts. I stay with them because I get good service, got good signals, except in one place in Florida, but the plentitude of wifi made it more than bearable. Many businesses had wifi to attract retirees, so no problem. Most of the folk I visited had wifi too. Even at home I use wifi for talk, text, and data because makes it easier to switch from over the internet to local network. My phone is control for music player on my computers and I stream music from them to my phone too. About all T-Mobile smart phones and feature phones make wifi easy.

If folk change from T-Mobile or MetroPC, they may regret that decision. My old plan was the one they made the all unlimited. T-Mobile is hungry. It's owned by Deutsche Telekom and the
Regulators didn't like the idea of the No. 2 AT&T buying a distance No. 4 T-Mobile, and they blocked the transaction. AT&T finally gave up on the merger in December.
T-Mobile gave me the unlock code for my phone; when I travel I can pop in a sim card from a local gsm carrier and get cheaper price for a month. When I return to USA I put the sim for T-Mobile back in. ATT so far hasn't tried to counter T-Mobile no contract trend. Contract fol pay more for monthly plan I have; they pay for the so called discounted phone that way. i paid... no, actually there was a special sale on the Blaze when I bought it, for $299.00. Darn good deal. I got the unlock code free because I paid full price - full sale price. I dont know if they give it to contract folk. Any person here know?

saint satin stain

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Probably too late now. The upgrade wasn't sluggish, but my phone was rooted, tweaked, and some apps removed, frozen, or extensions renamed, so my case not reliable for non rooted phone behavior. I have the Nexus 4 now and will probably buy Nexus devices (have Nexus 7 too) remainder my life or until, if, Google discontinues the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol