Does T-Mobile cancel you account for you when switching to them?

AlternetConcept

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just activated my N4 with T-mobile today. It seems to be able to make phone calls. However, when trying to call my number my old phone (EVO LTE Sprint) rings instead of my N4.

Does Tmobile automatically cancel your account with Sprint or do I have to manually call them?

I did port my old number to T-mobile. (And like I said earlier, it does seem to make phone calls but not receive them)

Thanks guys!

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just activated my N4 with T-mobile today. It seems to be able to make phone calls. However, when trying to call my number my old phone (EVO LTE Sprint) rings instead of my N4.

Does Tmobile automatically cancel your account with Sprint or do I have to manually call them?

I did port my old number to T-mobile. (And like I said earlier, it does seem to make phone calls but not receive them)

Thanks guys!

Patience. Give it a day or two tops (usually only a few hours), your new phone will receive calls and the Sprint phone will stop working altogether once the port is complete. That's pretty normal when switching carriers. Porting the number out cancels the old account without any action on your part.

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
When I switched back to T-Mobile from Sprint it too about 12 hours for the port to go through and my Sprint phone to stop working. When I went from T-Mobile to Sprint it took about a hour to port the number.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ryjb

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Here are some of my experiences...

Sprint to Verizon about 10 minutes.

Verizon to AT&T about 10 hours.

AT&T to TMobile 5 minutes or so, super fast.
AT&T seems to take the longest from what I saw and have heard.

I've been around the block.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from AT&T to T-Mobile yesterday. Within 10 minutes, I got texts on my phone saying my service was activated, and then another saying my number had been successfully ported. HOWEVER, I had the same experience as you. I could call or text with my T-Mo sim card, but when I popped my old AT&T sim card back in, it too was still active and I could send AND receive texts and calls. I put the old AT&T sim in my iPhone and the T-Mo sim in my N4 and they both showed to be in service. After about 3 hours the port was complete and my N4 was working normally, and my AT&T sim was not in service and deactivated (or whatever the correct term is) Because I got a text saying everything was finished, I got a bit freaked out when I realized the port and service switch wasn't totally complete, but after a few hours it seems to have sorted itself out.

When I switched from Sprint to AT&T about 4 years ago, it didn't seem to take that long. I suppose there can be several technical factors at work with something like this.

It's funny, I actually felt a little bad. I had no gripe with AT&T, and when I activated my N4 with them, the guy in the store was super helpful. On the other hand, I can save $30 a month and potentially have faster data speeds with the same level of coverage in my area. I can buy a lot of beer with $30.

BryanS

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
don't forget that you might incur an early termination fee from your old carrier by doing this... yes the port from one carrier to another will cancel your old account (or at least that line on the account if you have multiple lines) but you may get dinged for cancelling before your end of contract and be charged an ETF

saeufer

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll add a couple data points:

Verizon to T-Mobile in 2005 or 6: two freaking days
AT&T to T-Mobile in 2008: about 4 hours
T-Mobile postpaid to T-Mobile prepaid in 2012: less than 5 minutes (this is processed as a port, new account, new SIM and all)
T-Mobile prepaid to Straight Talk (AT&T) in 2012: about an hour, with a phone call from India because they shipped my SIM to a different state than my area code is from. Their computer won't let you port a number unless you tell them you're in the same state as the area code you have. Amusingly, the zip code I gave the guy is 400 miles from the area code I have, but it worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781