What do you think about TMobile's new prepaid service?

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So it's been not too long ago since Tmobile soft launched their new prepaid service GoSMART Mobile. I just wanted to know what you guys think about their plans currently.

The plans are as follows:

$30 Unlimited voice & text, NO data
$35 Unlimited voice & text, unlimited 2G data
$45 Unlimited voice & text, unlimited "high speed" data (3G) 5GB then throttled to 2G speed after 5GB usage

I personally think it's a pretty good deal. Compared to Straight Talk, which imho, is crappy because of their TOS. So it's 3G... I heard that because Tmobile is refarming certain cities (undisclosed) that 3G will be as fast as HSPA+. And some people are already seeing this HSPA+ speed in Chicago to LA.

What do you guys think about this plan? Is it a hit or miss in your view.

Here is the link: www.gosmartmobile.com

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I looked over the website, and I can't find anything about their 3G speeds. They call it "high speed," but compared to what? Is it HSPA+ 21? 42? 14? They also say that "micro SIM" phones may have limited functionality, which makes me think the 3G really is 3G, and not what T-Mobile likes to call 4G (i.e., HSPA+). Honestly, unless you need the unlimited minutes, I think T-Mo's own $30 web-only plan is the best deal if you're going to use their network.

CrazCruz

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Considering these plans, right now I'm on prepaid unlimited text and data & 100 min. but I might need more minutes since Vonage is not as usefull as I thought

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Yes I am on Tmos $30 100 minute plan as well. But these ones are for those that need the minutes and still want data. The data might not be 4G or LTE or anything but I'm sure it's sufficient for real life usage. If they specified exactly what kind of 3G maybe i'd consider it but I'm just informing you guys in case this is what you were looking for. :)

anon62607

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I looked over the website, and I can't find anything about their 3G speeds. They call it "high speed," but compared to what? Is it HSPA+ 21? 42? 14? They also say that "micro SIM" phones may have limited functionality, which makes me think the 3G really is 3G, and not what T-Mobile likes to call 4G (i.e., HSPA+). Honestly, unless you need the unlimited minutes, I think T-Mo's own $30 web-only plan is the best deal if you're going to use their network.

T-Mobile used to refer to even HSPA+14 as 4G, and some micro sim phones that are HSPA+14 (iPhone 4S) seem to work just fine. I have no idea why T-Mobile would limit an HSPA+ capable phone to UMTS functionality, that hurts efficiency. Better would be to throttle data while keeping the phone in an HSPA+ mode.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
No one has brought this up but I wonder if T-Mo will block LTE access to prepaid customers when the network goes live. Would be a surefire way to push people to value plans and also control the load on their LTE network.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
No one has brought this up but I wonder if T-Mo will block LTE access to prepaid customers when the network goes live. Would be a surefire way to push people to value plans and also control the load on their LTE network.

Yes that is what I heard. Since LTE will be rolling out soon, they are giving all those that who have been getting Edge speed to 3G now.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
It does seem strange that they are limiting to 3g speeds. (I don't see why that's good for the Nexus 4. I have a Nexus 4 and appreciate 4g - or at least the HSPA+ T-Mobile calls 4g.)

While the $30 T-Mobile deal rocks, I needed more talk minutes. I also read enough about Straight Talk to want to stay away. The solution I went with was Solavei. They use the T-Mobile network, have access to "4g" that isn't throttled until 4GB, and it's $49 for unlimited talk/text/data. They are also doing the affiliate thing which has the potential to effectively lower your monthly bill if you're interested in such things.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Spiderman13

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I left Vz 4G LTE and bouhgt the Lg Optimus l9 phone and the $60 prepaid plan. Haven't noticed a big difference. Other than the amount of money I'm saving.

CrazCruz

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
It does seem strange that they are limiting to 3g speeds. (I don't see why that's good for the Nexus 4. I have a Nexus 4 and appreciate 4g - or at least the HSPA+ T-Mobile calls 4g.)

While the $30 T-Mobile deal rocks, I needed more talk minutes. I also read enough about Straight Talk to want to stay away. The solution I went with was Solavei. They use the T-Mobile network, have access to "4g" that isn't throttled until 4GB, and it's $49 for unlimited talk/text/data. They are also doing the affiliate thing which has the potential to effectively lower your monthly bill if you're interested in such things.

Did you noticed any change on data speed?
100 min is not good enough for me either

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Did you noticed any change on data speed?
100 min is not good enough for me either

I was actually never on the $30 plan, I just wanted to be. Looking at all my old Sprint bills it was clear it was never going to work for me.

I am southwest of Denver and periodically run speed tests. I get between 6Mbps and 9Mbps download and 1.6 Mbps up.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I love it. I just got the unlimited everything for 70 bucks with an unlocked att gs3 and with speeds like these I'm good to go. Saving about 45 bucks too. I have noticed a few areas where "E" is there but is goes back to "4G" rather quickly. Ping wasnt that great here but speed is still very nice.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359116708471.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359116708471.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 46

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I love it. I just got the unlimited everything for 70 bucks with an unlocked att gs3 and with speeds like these I'm good to go. Saving about 45 bucks too. I have noticed a few areas where "E" is there but is goes back to "4G" rather quickly. Ping wasnt that great here but speed is still very nice.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk

I think you're talking about the plan straight from T-Mobile which isn't limited to 3g - just like my Solavei plan which isn't speed limited. (Of course that $70 plan has no data throttle which is pretty amazing if you need the data. Throttling at 4GB is plenty of data for me - especially for $20 less/month. I'm cheap.) OP was asking about GoSMART Mobile which appears to be limited to 3g on the T-Mobile network. Just trying to make sure we're all on the same page. :)

What is the "E" - I don't think I've seen that?

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Problem with T-mobile Monthly4G or any T-mobile MVNO is that they don't provide conditional call forwarding and I use Google Voice as my unified voicemail box.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Problem with T-mobile Monthly4G or any T-mobile MVNO is that they don't provide conditional call forwarding and I use Google Voice as my unified voicemail box.

Solavei (T-Mobile MVNO) supports conditional call forwarding - I'm using it fine with Google Voice for all my voicemail - phone's number and GV number.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Solavei (T-Mobile MVNO) supports conditional call forwarding - I'm using it fine with Google Voice for all my voicemail - phone's number and GV number.

Ok I had read otherwise and that other T-mobile based plans don't support it.

My other big thing us that T-mobile MVNOs and possibly T-mobile prepaid won't have access to LTE once it's launched.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Ok I had read otherwise and that other T-mobile based plans don't support it.

My other big thing us that T-mobile MVNOs and possibly T-mobile prepaid won't have access to LTE once it's launched.

I can't speak for the other MVNOs. I just know Solavei supports conditional call forwarding. I do think you're right about the monthly plan straight from T-Mobile not supporting it - I might have read the same thing you did.

It's anyone's guess about lte support. I'm not too worried about it since I'm happy with my speeds, and if I change my mind I can always switch to a different plan at the end of any given month.

Does that mean you're planning on enabling your lte modem when T-Mobile rolls it out? :)