Ask me about T-Mobile's new 'Simple Choice' rate plans!

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile just dropped one helluva big change on us Tuesday, completely redesigning its plans -- now named "Simple Choice" -- and how it sells devices. No matter how simple they are or how you explain them, there are bound to be questions left unanswered.

We wanted to get a single place here where you can ask and answer any questions regarding the new T-Mobile rate plans, LTE, devices or anything of the sort. I (and the other AC writers) will do my best to answer based on my knowledge of the subject, but feel free to chime in if you think you can help answer as well.

So let's get to it!

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe it's because I'm currently a value plan customer without an EIP balance but I totally get these plans. To everyone with a legacy plan who thinks these new plans are a horrible deal just hang onto that plan that you think is better for as along as you can.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
These plans aren't for anyone but they are still a great deal and tmobile is really stepping it up. Not to mention that their iPhone comes with aws unlike the att version plus their s4 will come out rocking from the beginning. It's great to have options.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

essinger

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
If I want to skip a month of service (let's say I'm out of the country) can I do that and still keep my account? How long can I go without paying for service before my account gets canceled?

AlanP

May 25, 2010
Visit site
As an existing T Mobile customer in the midst of a two-year value plan contract (though without having bought a phone), can I switch over to the new contract-free plans, or do I need to wait until my contract expires?

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As an existing T Mobile customer in the midst of a two-year value plan contract (though without having bought a phone), can I switch over to the new contract-free plans, or do I need to wait until my contract expires?

I am also on a Value Plan with no outstanding EIP and from what I've read we are still bound to the terms of our contract. I have no immediate plans to leave t-mobile so not a big deal to me unless their new plans and lte deployment make the service unusable.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

wwhiterabbit

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know how this will effect accounts that were cancelled in the past? I had an account with T-Mobile about 4 years ago, when I admittedly was stupid about it and paying my bill (or more to the point not paying it). But now I cant get service with T-Mobile because it was obviously sent to collections. Will this have an affect on that and being able to open an account now?

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know how this will effect accounts that were cancelled in the past? I had an account with T-Mobile about 4 years ago, when I admittedly was stupid about it and paying my bill (or more to the point not paying it). But now I cant get service with T-Mobile because it was obviously sent to collections. Will this have an affect on that and being able to open an account now?

They normally make you pay what was due to them plus some fees...

Sent from my busa.

daryllh

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
If you sign up to pay phone off in monthly installments and you decide to cancel service, are you forced to pay the remainder of balance in one lump sum; or do they allow you to continue payments on a monthly basis even though you aren't using their service?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
what's the tax and associated fees add up to compared to just the tax on prepaid

All of the Simple Choice plans will end up having the same set of fees and taxes any other carrier's would. So access fees, regulatory fees, and sales tax (if you have it).

So over the prepaid side, expect maybe another $10/month for the postpaid plans. For that money you're getting better support than prepaid also.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

There's an ETF associated with Value Plans, although its quite small and decreases monthly. I think you'd have to live out that full contract or pay an ETF to switch over to Simple Choice.

You'd have to do the math and see if the new prices would work out for you over all. Value Plans were a pretty good deal, especially with promotions if you got any.

Eruditass

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
For family plans, can you add data on specific lines instead of everyone?

For those stlil on value plans, can you still switch between the old data plans or are you stuck with what you had before they went away?

jazijasmine

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
hi, we have been on even more plus for about 3 years, with 3 lines. If we switch to simple choice, do we have to pass a credit check? I was hoping they would just switch us over, we would love to get data instead of just wifi for our smartphones.

Thanks!

Nexus4Buyer

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
It says that for 2 lines with 500mb each it will be $50+$30=$80. Say I also get two Nexus 4's and each would be $17/month. 80+2(17)= $114. Around what will I actually be paying after taxes/fees/whatnot? Verizon is notoriously bad in this area, as my current plan is about $130 but ends up at $150 due to random taxes/fees that they don't tell you about unless you really dig. How much does T-Mobile add onto the monthly price?

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
If you sign up to pay phone off in monthly installments and you decide to cancel service, are you forced to pay the remainder of balance in one lump sum; or do they allow you to continue payments on a monthly basis even though you aren't using their service?
You can either pay the remainder of the phone balance off, or return the phone, for which they will give you a fair market value. If you return the phone, you will owe the difference between the balance on your installment plan and your FMV.

For family plans, can you add data on specific lines instead of everyone?

For those stlil on value plans, can you still switch between the old data plans or are you stuck with what you had before they went away?
I would like to know the answer to your first question, too, but it does not seem possible from the website. It's a little odd that they would force you to have all the phones on your plan to have the same amount of data.

It says that for 2 lines with 500mb each it will be $50+$30=$80. Say I also get two Nexus 4's and each would be $17/month. 80+2(17)= $114. Around what will I actually be paying after taxes/fees/whatnot? Verizon is notoriously bad in this area, as my current plan is about $130 but ends up at $150 due to random taxes/fees that they don't tell you about unless you really dig. How much does T-Mobile add onto the monthly price?
You will pay taxes on top of the $80.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Let's say you buy a One, and owe money monthly. In 6 months you decide you want one of their newer handsets. If you pay off what you owe on the One, will tmobile allow you to then do the financing again for the new phone?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2