Coverage in Los Angeles?

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I have Verizon and still grandfathered with the unlimited data plan. I am debating in switching into T-mobile because I'm out of contract and would love to get a new phone but I would have to cough up full retail to keep unlimited. It's my wife and I so I would easily have to pay over $1000 to keep unlimited with Verizon. I'm ready to switch but coverage is what really gets to me. I don't care about Verizon have signal in the middle of nowhere because I don't travel and when I do it's possibly once a year. I'm just worried about the coverage here in Los Angeles. Anyone in LA with T-mobile could tell me their coverage experience?

Thanks,

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I have Verizon and still grandfathered with the unlimited data plan. I am debating in switching into T-mobile because I'm out of contract and would love to get a new phone but I would have to cough up full retail to keep unlimited. It's my wife and I so I would easily have to pay over $1000 to keep unlimited with Verizon. I'm ready to switch but coverage is what really gets to me. I don't care about Verizon have signal in the middle of nowhere because I don't travel and when I do it's possibly once a year. I'm just worried about the coverage here in Los Angeles. Anyone in LA with T-mobile could tell me their coverage experience?

Thanks,

I've used T-Moblie pre-paid on a Nexus 4 around Hollywood/Koreatown/Wilshire and it was very fast, consistently 12-15 down. T-Moblie's HSPA+ was faster than AT&T's LTE (on a Lumia 920/iPhone 5) in all parts of Los Angeles I ever tested it.

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I go to Los Angeles quite a bit and the HSPA+ coverage is excellent almost everywhere in town. I generally get between 6-10 Mbps down on my Galaxy Nexus on T-Mo's $70 plan.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I actually have not had the best coverage when i go to LA. My boyfriend and I live in orange county and im always surprised with how much worse our service is up there. Here I can sit in a movie and have service. There, I walk in a coffee shop and nothing. We visit the hollywood, Santa Monica, Pasadena areas. Where it is strong it is stronger than what I have here in OC, but overall not what I was expecting .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Here is my 2 cents.

Ontario (where i live) Voice = 6/10 Data I average 2mb down 1up
Brea (where i work) Voice = 8/10 Data I average 14mb down 2up
Rancho Cucamonga (where i l go to church) Voice = 5/10 Data I average 3mb down 1up
LA (where i visit) Voice = 8/10 Data I average 16mb down and 3up
Pomona (where i visit) Voice = 7/10 Data I average 5mb down and 1up
Chino / Chino Hills (where i visit) Voice = 7/10 Data I average 10mb down and 2up
Montclair (where i shop/visit) Voice = 10/10 Data I average 18mb down and 3up

This is on my Nexus 4 (from play store) $70 unlimited everything prepaid plan

I'm a speed test hound and do about 20 a day. I like to send them my friend who has sprint and averages 200kb down on his "LTE" Gs3.

ashakouri1

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I just recently switch to T-mobile about three months ago and the service was amazing, however recently in the Downtown Los Angeles and Westside area, I am having issues. I have run several tests on my phone and the ping have been way high at like 640-700ms, compared to around 30-50ms from a few months ago. It is noticeable when I am browsing or on FB, it takes a long time to update the posts on FB or checking in and browsing just seems to take an extremely long time.

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Here is my 2 cents.

Ontario (where i live) Voice = 6/10 Data I average 2mb down 1up
Brea (where i work) Voice = 8/10 Data I average 14mb down 2up
Rancho Cucamonga (where i l go to church) Voice = 5/10 Data I average 3mb down 1up
LA (where i visit) Voice = 8/10 Data I average 16mb down and 3up
Pomona (where i visit) Voice = 7/10 Data I average 5mb down and 1up
Chino / Chino Hills (where i visit) Voice = 7/10 Data I average 10mb down and 2up
Montclair (where i shop/visit) Voice = 10/10 Data I average 18mb down and 3up

This is on my Nexus 4 (from play store) $70 unlimited everything prepaid plan

I'm a speed test hound and do about 20 a day. I like to send them my friend who has sprint and averages 200kb down on his "LTE" Gs3.

I was in Pomona a few days ago and for some reason downtown was a dead zone, but about two miles from downtown I was getting about 6 down.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I was in Pomona a few days ago and for some reason downtown was a dead zone, but about two miles from downtown I was getting about 6 down.

Hmm last time I was there was about 2 weeks ago and I remember doing tests at the jack in the box on Gary and holt. (prostitute track lol) the speeds where exceptional inside and even better outside. Then I moved a little further south on Gary (by the school district) and had like 2 bars.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

teleclimber

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Here's my experience: I'm on a Nexus 4, live on the Westside.

- Santa Monica: spotty. On or near the beach there it's painful.
- Malibu: forget about it.
- If you're going up to the Sierras (395) expect spotty service. I was in Lone Pine which has coverage according to their map, but I was only able to find a 100 yard stretch of dismal coverage just east of town.
- June mountain: forget about it.
- Heading East on the 10 was surprisingly good. I even had some good signal going through the town of Joshua Tree, and at the camp site in JTree park.

But here is the thing that's bugging me: Around the Westside, when I first got the service in January I was very happily surprised (coming from VZ 3G). It was fast and available. But in the last 2 weeks I feel like I am back to the 2G days, where basically if you have to look something up and it's not urgent you just wait until you find wifi.

Has anybody else noticed a decrease in speed/quality in LA in the last few weeks? I no longer see the 'H+' that I used to see regularly. (And no I am not being throttled because I have used only 700Mb out of 5Gigs.)

Edit: just saw ashakouri1 's post. Something is up.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
@teleclimber

Rumor is they are converting some spectrum to lte in the LA area. Should roll out around mid June. Maybe that's got something to do with it and maybe it's just a rumor.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
This is right now in downtown LA.

I'm headed to santa Monica. I will do another when I get there.

uploadfromtaptalk1367700984857.jpg

ronzkie21

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm from Sacramento but I was there last week for 4 days and I was happy with the coverage and data speed. I'm using an unlocked AT&T One X. Searching for places to go and using navigation was a breeze. No hiccups. I stayed at Anaheim close to Disneyland. I was at downtown LA, Santa Monica, and Garden Grove. I must say I'm pleased with the refarmed network. I was on 4G all the time.