Constant HSPA+ Data Drop and Failed Download on Large Files

anon(306227)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone experiencing a data drop after about 5 minutes downloading a large file? Here is my test case. I have a video file on my Google Drive ~500MB. I want to download it and store it on my phone, so I can watch it on the plane. I start the download 3G ramps up to H+ and for 5 minutes we are cooking. The download aproaches 180 to 200MB and boom, H+ fails and fluctuates between 3G and nothing loads. Failed download, and I have now tried this on 3 phones. HTC One, Nexus 4 and iPhone 5, same issue, also 3 different SIMS, same issue. If anyone is noticing the same thing on T-Mobile please let me know. Its annoying and I can't download any of my files.

regards

Felix

Corey Sheldon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to my world, not sure where you are but in northern va its been that way on and off for 2 weeks now

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You know what when sprint got the iPhone, our speeds dropped dramatically too. It's not a coincidence that within weeks of tmobile acquiring and selling the iPhone that their network gets all bogged down. It was bound to happen when you sell one of the most popular phones on an already clogged network.

You want my opinion, sprint and tmobile should merge. If you look at japan's cell market, they have three big players at the top and all command a reasonable amount of the market and have really good service. That way if they merge, tmobile gets a much needed boost to its lte network and we get to move up to bigger and better radio technology.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

anon(306227)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to my world, not sure where you are but in northern va its been that way on and off for 2 weeks now

Why is it that no one has mentioned anything about this problem? I mean the phone is useless if I can't get a 500 meg file downloaded without it failing. The odd part is that it will drop to UMTS and fluctuate between that and HSPAP but data moves at 100bites/second and it finally fails. No one at T-Mobile want to admit there is something fishy going on.

Corey Sheldon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Why is it that no one has mentioned anything about this problem? I mean the phone is useless if I can't get a 500 meg file downloaded without it failing. The odd part is that it will drop to UMTS and fluctuate between that and HSPAP but data moves at 100bites/second and it finally fails. No one at T-Mobile want to admit there is something fishy going on.

Samsung tech support the other day mentioned that they feel some of the s4 antennas like mine were modified by tmobile from a software aspect.....im getting mine as a warranty then sending to samsung at their request so I also have a working phone for work...

anon(306227)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Samsung tech support the other day mentioned that they feel some of the s4 antennas like mine were modified by tmobile from a software aspect.....im getting mine as a warranty then sending to samsung at their request so I also have a working phone for work...

Not sure it's the phone. All mine are unlocked non-tmobile phones.

Corey Sheldon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Mine is too. But Samsung feels there may have been something in the original software bloatware with sprint and tmobile phones. Unlocked after purchase as mine was....also the tech believes that some euro snapdragon version weren't modded properly yo get the bands at 100% as some became us market phones to handle initial launch that was crazy high

anon(306227)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Mine is too. But Samsung feels there may have been something in the original software bloatware with sprint and tmobile phones. Unlocked after purchase as mine was....also the tech believes that some euro snapdragon version weren't modded properly yo get the bands at 100% as some became us market phones to handle initial launch that was crazy high

I honestly think its something going on with T-Mobile. I mean you can unlock your boot loader and flash an international radio, but it won't help as I am seeing this on 3 different international phones none which have been touched with T-Mobile bloat or customizations. Otherwise when I am not loading large files over their network, things are good and fast. I wonder if its some packet shaping they do to prevent you from downloading large files for fear you might cripple their network. Just a speculation but if that is the case, I am going back to AT&T SIMs on these phones because right now this is a deal breaker with T-Mobile.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
You know what when sprint got the iPhone, our speeds dropped dramatically too. It's not a coincidence that within weeks of tmobile acquiring and selling the iPhone that their network gets all bogged down. It was bound to happen when you sell one of the most popular phones on an already clogged network.

You want my opinion, sprint and tmobile should merge. If you look at japan's cell market, they have three big players at the top and all command a reasonable amount of the market and have really good service. That way if they merge, tmobile gets a much needed boost to its lte network and we get to move up to bigger and better radio technology.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If this had to do with the network being bogged down then he would not get 200 megs done in 5 minutes.
He said it works well for the first 5 minutes then gets slow.. So its probably a network safegaurd with very large file transfers versus a general oh its bogged down by iphones.
He also mentioned using 3 different devices, with different sims, so its pretty clear he does get high speeds initially, but if its cutting off in the same spots its possible its a large file issue.
OR perhaps its Google Drive. Perhaps after sending the file for 5 minutes google drive is throttling him to a slower speed. Id try to find a better way to test out the network congestion theory where you have better access to the file upload speeds so when you do a download you know you are getting the full upload of the file from its original location.

Corey Sheldon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I have burned through 75gb in less than a week streaming and torrenting and have noticed after about 300mb it wants you to jump to wifi, almost a closet way of capping like att without overtly capping...try adding "admin,hipri, dun" to end of your usual three apn types innsettings and see if that doesnt help a little

Coming to you from a Wild 'n Wicked Tmo S4...

If I have helped, a thanks is appreciated, if a dev helped buy them a beer or red bull.....

anon(306227)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
If this had to do with the network being bogged down then he would not get 200 megs done in 5 minutes.
He said it works well for the first 5 minutes then gets slow.. So its probably a network safegaurd with very large file transfers versus a general oh its bogged down by iphones.
He also mentioned using 3 different devices, with different sims, so its pretty clear he does get high speeds initially, but if its cutting off in the same spots its possible its a large file issue.
OR perhaps its Google Drive. Perhaps after sending the file for 5 minutes google drive is throttling him to a slower speed. Id try to find a better way to test out the network congestion theory where you have better access to the file upload speeds so when you do a download you know you are getting the full upload of the file from its original location.

You are 100% correct and thanks for clarifying further. I wanted to see if its an issue with my account, but 2 of my cards are prepaid. T-Mobile support denies any issues so I am stumped at best. It's not only Google Drive, Copy, Box, DropBox and browser downloads all fail and today I have noticed it in the Android Market failing on updating apps and they are certainly under 200MB.

anon(306227)

May 5, 2011
Visit site

You are 100% correct and thanks for clarifying further. I wanted to see if its an issue with my account, but 2 of my cards are prepaid. T-Mobile support denies any issues so I am stumped at best. It's not only Google Drive, Copy, Box, DropBox and browser downloads all fail and today I have noticed it in the Android Market failing on updating apps and they are certainly under 200MB.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

anon(306227)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I have burned through 75gb in less than a week streaming and torrenting and have noticed after about 300mb it wants you to jump to wifi, almost a closet way of capping like att without overtly capping...try adding "admin,hipri, dun" to end of your usual three apn types innsettings and see if that doesnt help a little

If I have helped, a thanks is appreciated, if a dev helped buy them a beer or red bull.....

I will try this and report back. All these failed downloads actually stress the network more in my opinion because if it fails I will keep trying, it's because of this that I am up to 10GB of data this month. It's a bad idea and if they are doing this it actually increases the traffic from all those retries.

Corey Sheldon

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
We here now but they think we dont....also of note if you are NOT running xposed that nice little dun will allow you to with su elevations in place tether unrestricted not quite native but its still unregistered and hence un throttled

anon(306227)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
We here now but they think we dont....also of note if you are NOT running xposed that nice little dun will allow you to with su elevations in place tether unrestricted not quite native but its still unregistered and hence un throttled

Things have gotten better, maybe it's a network issue. I will monitor for a few days and report back.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

What? Corey can you clarify what your talking about. Im curious to know about the added info to the APN and how it helps.. or can help..

thanks

anon(306227)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
What? Corey can you clarify what your talking about. Im curious to know about the added info to the APN and how it helps.. or can help..

thanks

I can tell you in my situation the APNs did not make a difference resolving this issue. It has gotten a bit better so maybe T-Mobile had a network issue, the crappy Pre-Paid technical support told me there is still an issue downloading from the Google Play Store. I can confirm this as none of my Wired magazines load over HSPA+ or LTE.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

The issue with Market having slow download updates is definitely not network related.
Many times at work WIFI and home WIFI i have had to stop a download only to re-start it. Its a market issue or something on googles end.
Many other people have asked similar questions, i have had it happen to me many times as well so your not alone..
Sorry, forgot to add i was on WiFi when at home and work and still had market update issues.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084