How well does tmobile service work inside buildings?

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,
I want to switch to Tmobile from Sprint. Tmobile coverage is good in my area with HSPA+ 10-25mbps. I was sold on tmobile until today I saw two nurses at hospital with no coverage... Complaining. One of them had Samsung galaxy S3, and the other had iPhone 4S. Sprint data sucks in my area, 30-100kbps, but I still had 3 bars, and I was able to call and text.
From your experience, do you recommend tmobile? I'm a resident doctor, mostly in hospital setting. And, no, I don't want to rely on wifi alone.
Thank you in advance for your input..

Sent from my HTC via Tapatalk!

Last edited by a moderator:

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: How well tmobile penitrates buildings?

It really depends on a lot of factors, not least of which hire the building is constructed. When I was at university, my brick dorm never gave my phone serious problems, but the concrete and cinder block student union building was just one big dead zone. Basements are also generally bad news.

Borrowing a phone, or at least asking people who spend time in the same places as you, is always a good idea when considering a carrier switch. You never know how good the coverage will be for your specific usage case until you test it for yourself.

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

My question is about your general overall experience with service indoors, I wanna know it is worth the price?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

Usually it's fine for me. Basements can be dodgy, but other than that I rarely have issues.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I tested T-Mobile in our three story office using the $30 prepaid (100 minute, unlimited text, unlimited data) plan.

No service, even at the ends. Other coworkers have to go outside to use T-Mobile.

Note: I work in Sorrento Valley in San Diego where every other building has a Qualcomm logo on it.

Posted via Android Central App

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I live in Portland OR, but I spend time in Edmonds WA and Minneapolis and Rochester MN; I'm speaking mainly from my experiences in those places. As long as we're getting into locations, I visited Phoenix/Mesa AZ recently and the building penetration seemed slightly worse there, but voice and data were both generally usable as long as I didn't bury myself too far inside.

Honestly, with T-Mobile I'm far more concerned with coverage in general than building penetration. Even in big cities where it has deep market penetration it isn't that hard to find whole blocks of data dead zone (2G is more thorough). Part of being a satisfied T-Mobile customer is being okay with the reality of sometimes being on 2G even when you're in a city where coverage is good, and sometimes being without signal entirely when you're on the road.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I tested T-Mobile in our three story office using the $30 prepaid (100 minute, unlimited text, unlimited data) plan.

No service, even at the ends. Other coworkers have to go outside to use T-Mobile.

Note: I work in Sorrento Valley in San Diego where every other building has a Qualcomm logo on it.

Posted via Android Central App

I work in the same area and experienced the same type of service from T-Mobile. That's why I stuck with AT&T.

Sent from my HTC One

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Hey all,
I want to switch to Tmobile from Sprint. Tmobile coverage is good in my area with HSPA+ 10-25mbps. I was sold on tmobile until today I saw two nurses at hospital with no coverage... Complaining. One of them had Samsung galaxy S3, and the other had iPhone 4S. Sprint data sucks in my area, 30-100kbps, but I still had 3 bars, and I was able to call and text.
From your experience, do you recommend tmobile? I'm a resident doctor, mostly in hospital setting. And, no, I don't want to rely on wifi alone.

Here is my T-Mobile LTE speeds and coverage, in doors and underground in Honolulu.

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1373062109379.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1373062109379.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 91

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Here is my T-Mobile LTE speeds and coverage, in doors and underground in Honolulu.

Wow that's awesome... As long as I get some service (even 1mbps) indoors I. Okay

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey all,

May I ask where you work at???

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

elinash93

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Ivwould definitely switch to tmobile. I get great coverage in pretty much every building I'm in. They're cheap, contract-less and their internet rocks. I've never had a negative thing to say about any tmobile device I've ever owned.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Wow that's awesome... As long as I get some service (even 1mbps) indoors I. Okay

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
If I am at home? My average data is over 30MB down and about 17-20MB up.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

If I am at home? My average data is about 30MB down and about 17-20MB up.

Update: This is from my doctors office parking garage 2 stories underground Inside of a hospital in downtown Honolulu. I wouldn't think I would ever get a signal down here. I am surprised.
dazaby7a.jpg

Last edited:

Moonbase0ne

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

When I first got Tmobile for two other lines, I brought one to work to test it out. I was getting good 4G speeds and a signal mostly throughout the building. There are a few deadspots that just about no one gets a signal, regardless of what service they use. Also, I found that, if needed, I could put my phone on Edge and I would still be able to make/recieve calls and send texts, thought Data would be slow a F***.

So, I go ahead and switch my main line to Tmobile, and bring my phone to work the next week. All of a sudden, I am at my desk, and even with a constant 2 bars 4G, I could not use the internet. I was a little annoyed, of course. So I call TMobile up, do the usual run around trouble shooting, nothing really worked. Next couple of days, signal would get better, but Data would still not work, or work very randomly. Basically unreliable. Spoke with Tmobile agin, did the same tests, and was told they were updating the towers in my area. First thought was, "Sure they are." A week later, at home, one morning, I notice LTE. So, I think GREAT. Hopefully this should help with me getting a better signal at work. I go to work, I see LTE outside, but inside, again, no data. Got annoyed, started looking at my options and leaving the service.

Then, one day I'm at work, at I notice a 2-3 bars of LTE. I was suprised, and quicly tried to use the internet. It worked. I then went to a part of the office floor that had abslutely NO data, even on Edge, and I had LTE there too. So, naturally, I was relieved. Phone was working, and working pretty good with LTE. Fast and it was actually reliable.

Now, still, on the first floor, my signal is weak. It's stronger, but still weak. Asking around and thinking back, just about everyone's phone is weak in these areas. The first floor is basically a warehouse and garage. BUT, I can still get data in some spots, and I can still put my phone on Edge to use phone a text.

Also, I've been testing my phone a lot indoors at stores like Costco, Target, Best Buy, etc... And all around these stores, indoors, I was getting LTE, and sometimes 4G, but still reliable Data. Only place that I didn't get data and I got a very weak signal was in the theater when I went to see Man Of Steel and World War Z. But, again, I put my phone on Edge, and I could make a call and text, and was getting 2-3 bars, even while watching the movie(previews).

So, point is, different factors need to be looked at, of course. Your area may get a great signal indoors, someone else's phone may be useless indoor. And if you have Wifi at home, that's aplus, but not something I'd want to rely on. Incase my internet goes out. The only way to really know is to test the service where YOU need it to work. Also, I am in Chicago, so I know that's a big part of it. But I was out in a few burbs and had either LTE or 4g and it worked. This was outside though.

Good Luck. And remember to test the phone with a Data/Smart phone. When I tested using a prepaid flip phone, I was getting a good signal almost everywhere I went. But then I found out, that it was strickly on Edge and not showing the 4G/LTE signal bars.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

When I first got Tmobile for two other lines, I brought one to work to test it out. I was getting good 4G speeds and a signal mostly throughout the building. There are a few deadspots that just about no one gets a signal, regardless of what service they use. Also, I found that, if needed, I could put my phone on Edge and I would still be able to make/recieve calls and send texts, thought Data would be slow a F***.

So, I go ahead and switch my main line to Tmobile, and bring my phone to work the next week. All of a sudden, I am at my desk, and even with a constant 2 bars 4G, I could not use the internet. I was a little annoyed, of course. So I call TMobile up, do the usual run around trouble shooting, nothing really worked. Next couple of days, signal would get better, but Data would still not work, or work very randomly. Basically unreliable. Spoke with Tmobile agin, did the same tests, and was told they were updating the towers in my area. First thought was, "Sure they are." A week later, at home, one morning, I notice LTE. So, I think GREAT. Hopefully this should help with me getting a better signal at work. I go to work, I see LTE outside, but inside, again, no data. Got annoyed, started looking at my options and leaving the service.

Then, one day I'm at work, at I notice a 2-3 bars of LTE. I was suprised, and quicly tried to use the internet. It worked. I then went to a part of the office floor that had abslutely NO data, even on Edge, and I had LTE there too. So, naturally, I was relieved. Phone was working, and working pretty good with LTE. Fast and it was actually reliable.

Now, still, on the first floor, my signal is weak. It's stronger, but still weak. Asking around and thinking back, just about everyone's phone is weak in these areas. The first floor is basically a warehouse and garage. BUT, I can still get data in some spots, and I can still put my phone on Edge to use phone a text.

Also, I've been testing my phone a lot indoors at stores like Costco, Target, Best Buy, etc... And all around these stores, indoors, I was getting LTE, and sometimes 4G, but still reliable Data. Only place that I didn't get data and I got a very weak signal was in the theater when I went to see Man Of Steel and World War Z. But, again, I put my phone on Edge, and I could make a call and text, and was getting 2-3 bars, even while watching the movie(previews).

So, point is, different factors need to be looked at, of course. Your area may get a great signal indoors, someone else's phone may be useless indoor. And if you have Wifi at home, that's aplus, but not something I'd want to rely on. Incase my internet goes out. The only way to really know is to test the service where YOU need it to work. Also, I am in Chicago, so I know that's a big part of it. But I was out in a few burbs and had either LTE or 4g and it worked. This was outside though.

Good Luck. And remember to test the phone with a Data/Smart phone. When I tested using a prepaid flip phone, I was getting a good signal almost everywhere I went. But then I found out, that it was strickly on Edge and not showing the 4G/LTE signal bars.

Yup your mileage will vary indeed.
And you know it will only get better because this is just the first towers that are being lit up.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I think there are too many variables to know without testing. My brother wanted me to test coverage at his work - which has a basement lab that is a notorious dead zone. I had a signal everywhere, his Sprint service didn't. YMMV.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
OP from the looks of this thread you will just have to test drive T mobile... Some get great service indoors and others seem to not.

I can speak from my friends who have T mobile it purely depends on the building... Some houses we go to they are fine. A few of the bar / pool halls we go to... They struggle for data.

Sent from my Sprint HTC One using AC forums.

Moonbase0ne

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed about 30 minutes ago that I didn't have LTE on my phone here at work. Of course I got a little worried as before, with 4G, I was not able to use data inside. Well, I tried data while I was on 4G, and it worked fine. Fast(I didn't run a speed test), and I had no problem loading up pages that before would not load while I was on 4G. Then about 30 minutes later, it was back on LTE.

Maybe they are still testing/upgrading things?

Chicago here.