We recently purchased a seasonal use condo in Naples Florida and from my reading and research it seems T-MO have the best prepaid plans. We seldom use cell phone back home in Canada and have a cheap paygo phone that we keep in the car for emergency use. It is unlocked and I have a T-MO sim that I have filled as needed when in Florida. As we will be spending more time there now probably 3 months in the winter and several other visits during the year for 2-3 weeks and will not have a dedicated landline in the condo I would like something a bit more useful than my current basic cell. I have read that T-Mo have a prepaid monthly plan with 100 min talk text,and 5gb data for $30.00 a month which appeals to me as we don't make a lot of calls and I would probably use the data more than the talk.

I want to stay with prepaid and probably on T-Mo at least for this coming year. Phone features that would appeal to me would be following

- Decent battery life
    - Data at a decent speed (Have no experience so no clue whether 3g would be plenty of speed primary use emails, maps, forums video probably not)
    - decent camera
    - Wifi (if this is available on budget phones) I have a T-Mo mobile internet device which I could connect to
    - Price below $200 if possible but would consider say up to $300 if it would be good for 2-3 years without needing upgrades
    - unlocked so I could use it back home on Canadian carriers for talk and text, data in Canada not needed
    - preference would be android based

Not even sure whether phones can be used as a wifi device so you don't use data to go on web say using free wifi spots coffee shops restaurants etc.

As is probably obvious have little knowledge so any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
    07-12-2013 10:03 AM
    We recently purchased a seasonal use condo in Naples Florida and from my reading and research it seems T-MO have the best prepaid plans. We seldom use cell phone back home in Canada and have a cheap paygo phone that we keep in the car for emergency use. It is unlocked and I have a T-MO sim that I have filled as needed when in Florida. As we will be spending more time there now probably 3 months in the winter and several other visits during the year for 2-3 weeks and will not have a dedicated landline in the condo I would like something a bit more useful than my current basic cell. I have read that T-Mo have a prepaid monthly plan with 100 min talk text,and 5gb data for $30.00 a month which appeals to me as we don't make a lot of calls and I would probably use the data more than the talk.

I want to stay with prepaid and probably on T-Mo at least for this coming year. Phone features that would appeal to me would be following

- Decent battery life
    - Data at a decent speed (Have no experience so no clue whether 3g would be plenty of speed primary use emails, maps, forums video probably not)
    - decent camera
    - Wifi (if this is available on budget phones) I have a T-Mo mobile internet device which I could connect to
    - Price below $200 if possible but would consider say up to $300 if it would be good for 2-3 years without needing upgrades
    - unlocked so I could use it back home on Canadian carriers for talk and text, data in Canada not needed
    - preference would be android based

Not even sure whether phones can be used as a wifi device so you don't use data to go on web say using free wifi spots coffee shops restaurants etc.

As is probably obvious have little knowledge so any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
    From what I understand, a Nexus device should fit your needs. It should be able to go to Canada easily, it will stay updated from Google, it has a wifi radio so you can go into say Starbucks or McDonald's and use Wifi (both of those you may either have to get a pin to access the router, or just open a browser and accept Terms of Service), $299 before taxes.
    gtt1 likes this.
    07-12-2013 10:28 AM
    From what I understand, a Nexus device should fit your needs. It should be able to go to Canada easily, it will stay updated from Google, it has a wifi radio so you can go into say Starbucks or McDonald's and use Wifi (both of those you may either have to get a pin to access the router, or just open a browser and accept Terms of Service), $299 before taxes.
    Re the wifi use. Do phones with wifi operate independently of the carrier network. For example if I had a wifi capable phone and had no data minutes or talk minutes say my prepaid was expired or I took the sim out, would the phone operate on wifi just like my Nexus 7 tablet?
    07-12-2013 10:36 AM
    Re the wifi use. Do phones with wifi operate independently of the carrier network. For example if I had a wifi capable phone and had no data minutes or talk minutes say my prepaid was expired or I took the sim out, would the phone operate on wifi just like my Nexus 7 tablet?
    It should. I have a deactivated S2 and I get my WiFi all the time.

Sent from a Carbon Galaxy S3.
    07-12-2013 11:59 AM
    The Nexus 4 works just like the Nexus 7 if you take the sim card out. I think many of the newer smartphones will work just fine as wifi-only devices.

To make sure I would just talk to somebody in a brick and mortar store, because I do believe that some smartphone will limit wifi-functionality if you don't have data enabled. It might be a matter of just having data enabled at least once to set up the phone and then from that point on it doesn't matter. My sister never had data enabled on her smartphone so she can't install apps or use any of the apps on her phone. All she can do is browse the internet, but she is limited to the browser that came with the phone.

As to the phone I'd get. The Nexus 4 would fit your needs perfect but it is at the upper-end of your price range at $299 USD. If you want to stick with Tmobile I'd consider the Nokia Lumia 521. I don't know if you could use it in Canada but that is only $199 USD and includes a $50 credit for minutes.
    gtt1 likes this.
    07-12-2013 02:11 PM
    As to the phone I'd get. The Nexus 4 would fit your needs perfect but it is at the upper-end of your price range at $299 USD. If you want to stick with Tmobile I'd consider the Nokia Lumia 521. I don't know if you could use it in Canada but that is only $199 USD and includes a $50 credit for minutes.
    Thanks I was looking at that Nokia it is well priced. Not sure whether I want to go with a win8 phone though, I like the huge volume of android apps out there. Cool Reader my go to ebook reader is only available in chinese for example. Doubt that I would use the phone for reading though but I couldn't find a Dolphin or Firefox app.
    It is a low cost choice though available at Walmart for $129.88
    07-12-2013 02:51 PM
    Thanks I was looking at that Nokia it is well priced. Not sure whether I want to go with a win8 phone though, I like the huge volume of android apps out there. Cool Reader my go to ebook reader is only available in chinese for example. Doubt that I would use the phone for reading though but I couldn't find a Dolphin or Firefox app.
    It is a low cost choice though available at Walmart for $129.88
    I think the Lumia 521 at 4 inches would be too small as an ereader anyway. You'd be better off going with the Nexus 4 at 4.7 inches, especially since you like all the aondroid apps. One android phone that would interest me as a back-up is BLU Dash 4.5 Unlocked. Amazon.com: BLU Dash 4.5 Unlocked Dual Sim Phone with Quad-Core 1.2GHz Processor Black: Cell Phones & Accessories That is only $139 USD and has the latest (or second-to-latest) android operating system. Screen resolution is not that great so it wouldn't be a very good ereader, and at only 512MB of ram it will sputter a bit for the more demanding apps, but it is pretty cheap, and might be a good phone to start out with. It also is only 3G. 3G is fast enough for basic web browsing over a data network, and I find it even fast enough to stream video, but if you use wifi it doesn't really matter. The phone plans are so much cheaper if you don't have data. On the Amazon site it shows that the phone operates on these bands: 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 - D310A. I'm not sure what those mean, so you'd want to check with Tmobile if this phone will work on their network.
    07-12-2013 03:54 PM
    Yes. Just take the SIM out
    07-12-2013 04:58 PM