WIFI calling -What is it and does prepaid T-MO have it

jishnu#AC

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I love my default built in wifi calling... It is all I use at home since my house kills cell signal. It sounds great and I can call anywhere in my house...
I am in the same boat, need WiFi Calling all the time at home. I am currently on a $60 postpaid plan but need to save some money, and am thinking about getting the $30 prepaid plan. If you are on prepaid, can you please confirm that WiFi Calling indeed works on prepaid? I keep hearing conflicting things. I don't care that it counts against my minutes, since I don't call people that often, but reliable texting is a must for me.

achiquitachaser

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to dredge up this thread again but I'm looking for a little clarification. I get the two different scenarios when people ask about Wifi Calling.

1.) Wifi Calling Service offered through Tmobile - uses your home wireless network to route your primary telephone number's text and voicecalls instead of using cell towers. This will use minutes if you have per minute plan offered through Tmobile. This was the case with the old monthly minute plans, I haven't seen a confirmation if the $30 prepaid plan has wifi calling enabled, but I imagine it does and pulls from your 100 minute pool.

2.) Wifi calling through Google voice services - this is using an alternative number through google voice as a second number on your handset as VOIP. Several apps have been mentioned that support VOIP and will not use plan minutes such as Groove IP, talkatone and Spare Phone (all will be discontinued come May of 2014), however normal android integration will allow the google voice app to be integrated with your phone dialer, does this use minutes or data or both? Just looking to see if there is an alternative now before 3rd party support plug has been pulled next year.

Thanks!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Officially Wifi calling does not work with prepaid.

Source? I have prepaid, Google Voice and Grove IP Lite and have no problem wifi calling. That will likely change next spring when the Groove IP Lite app no longer works, but it does work now.

And in answer to achiquitachaser, it does not go through T-Mobile's system at all so it does not use data or minutes.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Source? I have prepaid, Google Voice and Grove IP Lite and have no problem wifi calling. That will likely change next spring when the Groove IP Lite app no longer works, but it does work now.

And in answer to achiquitachaser, it does not go through T-Mobile's system at all so it does not use data or minutes.

You are mixing up T-Mobile's official wifi calling versus Google voice and groove IP.

As you said at the very end.. It does not go through T-Mobile's system... Yeah you're right... Because you're using Google voice and it goes through that.

T-Mobile's official wifi calling DOES go through their network.. Since you connect to the backhaul directly via wifi. That is what they are talking about in this thread. Note the symbol in the screenshot below.. And how I have no cell bars. That's the official wifi calling they are talking about.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• 1387398678057.jpg
    1387398678057.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 40

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
You are mixing up T-Mobile's official wifi calling versus Google voice and groove IP.

Yes. Having only Nexus phones I keep forgetting that damn T-Mobile app on the store phones. :mad:

kdepriest6623

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Incorrect! G Voice just routes calls through s different number, is not a VoIP service.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Actually, it is halfway correct. If you were to download the Groove IP app, and log into your Google Voice account, you would then be able to make and receive calls using wifi (using mobile data requires paid app). Doing this, would give you Wifi Calling without having anything to do with your cellular provider.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Actually, it is halfway correct. If you were to download the Groove IP app, and log into your Google Voice account, you would then be able to make and receive calls using wifi (using mobile data requires paid app). Doing this, would give you Wifi Calling without having anything to do with your cellular provider.

True but I thought groove IP was going away soon?

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
G shuts down the XMPP interface in a month and a half. That will affect a lot of apps (and devices) that haven't made the switch.

Sent from my Google Mastoid Implant.

May 15th is a sad day for us Google Voice users. I will have to use my minutes on my prepaid $30 T-Mobile plan or switch to Straight Talk. I have been using the Spare Phone app and it was the best one of all the GV apps, IMHO. Very clear on LTE and of course Wifi.

Rick Garza

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Tube517,

There are alternatives to Google Voice. I have been exploring several. You can buy outgoing minutes for several of them. Calling a US number from a US number is around a 1 cent a minute for several of the Voip services. Many of the Voips also offer free SMS. Some even other services free. I ran across one just yesterday that actually is is free both ways US to US numbers. I haven't tested it much. It's called UppTalk.

Oh. some of the Voips that charge for outgoing minutes will let you earn minutes for watching videos, downloading apps, or signing up for free trails of services. So, you can get away with using them for free if you don't mind doing those things.

chinarut

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile *feature* "WiFi Calling" works on prepaid

Ok for the record, I'm an iOS user (yeah, boo for many of you) and found this question because I wanted to know if I use WiFi Calling on iOS8, if it uses minutes in my pre-paid account.

After reading through this thread and seeing ppl comment on all kinds of apps like GV and Skype, I also want to emphasize i believe the original poster is referring to the T-Mobile feature called "WiFi Calling" so this is what I'm going to speak to & feel answering the question is independent of hardware (ie. whether you are Android or iOS) - I just couldn't bear reading another GV-related comment here because as much as I love GV, i feel it's *off* topic.

So I just enabled WiFi Calling yesterday - while I havent engaged in an actual call, this is what I can add:

1. My phone says "T-Mobile WiFi" at the top confirming its enabled
2. I can put my phone in Airplane Mode and incoming calls ring the phone & provided I don't answer it, it doesn't not use my minutes (this is awesome for screening calls & avoiding the daily usage charge in many circumstances btw)
3. I received a survey from T-Mobile by text (not iMessage) and was able to complete the survey (interactive chat) on "T-Mobile WiFi" - just checked by balance and it did not charge me for the day (nor did I expect it to for T-Mobile business matters!)

So the next step I need to take is to actually make and receive a call and exchange a few non-iMessage texts with a friend while in Airplane mode.

My gut says it will work just fine & I'm one happy camper!

Btw - for you google voice users masking your SIM #, you need to turn off "Show my Caller ID" on iOS because it does not automatically spoof your caller ID to your GV # (like i'm aware Android can)

Again, I'm trying not to muddle up the waters with iOS talk - I'm just wanting to contribute to the poster's original question in regards to using "WiFi Calling" over T-Mobile prepaid.

It sounds like from a few of you, the general concensus is "if you are trying to make a call through T-Mobile (not GV, not Skype) whether you are funneling through cellular towers or through 'T-Mobile WiFi Calling,' it uses minutes in your plan. End of story."

:)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: T-Mobile *feature* "WiFi Calling" works on prepaid

Ok for the record, I'm an iOS user (yeah, boo for many of you) and found this question because I wanted to know if I use WiFi Calling on iOS8, if it uses minutes in my pre-paid account.

After reading through this thread and seeing ppl comment on all kinds of apps like GV and Skype, I also want to emphasize i believe the original poster is referring to the T-Mobile feature called "WiFi Calling" so this is what I'm going to speak to & feel answering the question is independent of hardware (ie. whether you are Android or iOS) - I just couldn't bear reading another GV-related comment here because as much as I love GV, i feel it's *off* topic.

So I just enabled WiFi Calling yesterday - while I havent engaged in an actual call, this is what I can add:

1. My phone says "T-Mobile WiFi" at the top confirming its enabled
2. I can put my phone in Airplane Mode and incoming calls ring the phone & provided I don't answer it, it doesn't not use my minutes (this is awesome for screening calls & avoiding the daily usage charge in many circumstances btw)
3. I received a survey from T-Mobile by text (not iMessage) and was able to complete the survey (interactive chat) on "T-Mobile WiFi" - just checked by balance and it did not charge me for the day (nor did I expect it to for T-Mobile business matters!)

So the next step I need to take is to actually make and receive a call and exchange a few non-iMessage texts with a friend while in Airplane mode.

My gut says it will work just fine & I'm one happy camper!

Btw - for you google voice users masking your SIM #, you need to turn off "Show my Caller ID" on iOS because it does not automatically spoof your caller ID to your GV # (like i'm aware Android can)

Again, I'm trying not to muddle up the waters with iOS talk - I'm just wanting to contribute to the poster's original question in regards to using "WiFi Calling" over T-Mobile prepaid.

It sounds like from a few of you, the general concensus is "if you are trying to make a call through T-Mobile (not GV, not Skype) whether you are funneling through cellular towers or through 'T-Mobile WiFi Calling,' it uses minutes in your plan. End of story."

:)

Pretty much yep. Wifi calling uses your minutes and you can text (SMS and MMS) through the wifi as well.