WIFI calling -What is it and does prepaid T-MO have it

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Just came across this this thread and it helped me understand Tmo wifi calling much better. Thanks to everyone who posted.

One question: Is the Tmo wifi calling feature superior or better than other wifi callings apps/services such as Groove IP?

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Just came across this this thread and it helped me understand Tmo wifi calling much better. Thanks to everyone who posted.

One question: Is the Tmo wifi calling feature superior or better than other wifi callings apps/services such as Groove IP?

It depends on your preferences and your account type which one will be better.

Let's say you don't already have a Google Voice number, you have a postpaid account and you want to be able to use your T-Mobile issued number to talk to your friends and family with. T-Mobile Wi-fi calling will probably be better for you, as you would use your T-Mobile number to make and receive calls. Also depending on your plan, you may be able to use Wi-fi minutes on an unlimited basis, regardless of what your plan's allotted minutes are.

If you already have a Google Voice number and are a prepaid customer, Google Voice with GrooVe IP may be a better choice for you. Using Google Voice with GrooVe IP won't use your plan minutes, regardless of your plan type.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Let's say you don't already have a Google Voice number, you have a postpaid account and you want to be able to use your T-Mobile issued number to talk to your friends and family with. T-Mobile Wi-fi calling will probably be better for you, as you would use your T-Mobile number to make and receive calls. Also depending on your plan, you may be able to use Wi-fi minutes on an unlimited basis, regardless of what your plan's allotted minutes are.

If you already have a Google Voice number and are a prepaid customer, Google Voice with GrooVe IP may be a better choice for you. Using Google Voice with GrooVe IP won't use your plan minutes, regardless of your plan type.

This. I don't use the others so it's very convenient to turn on wifi when I get home and just have the phone use my wifi as my cell tower... Everyone just continues to call and text me like normal. They can't tell the difference :).

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

I'm T-mobile prepaid with Google Play Nexus 4. I tried using GrooVe IP (paid version) for the past 10 days with really strong and fast wifi and it is just not that great. The people I am calling complain of echo and sound quality. I can hear them fine, but they have trouble hearing me. I've adjusted the settings, like trying "echo cancellation" and it doesn't help much. Correction, it helps with the echo, but people still complain they can't hear me very well. I'm interested in Tmobile's new "Jump" program, and since I don't get much of a Tmo cell signal in my home I would need to rely on wifi calling, but GrooVe IP doesn't really cut it. Do you think the native Tmo wifi calling feature on Tmo branded phones would have better voice quality than an app like Groove IP?

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This. I don't use the others so it's very convenient to turn on wifi when I get home and just have the phone use my wifi as my cell tower... Everyone just continues to call and text me like normal. They can't tell the difference :).

Which VOIP wifi app are you using? Is it Tmo's native wifi app on a Tmo-branded phone or are you using a 3rd party wifi app like GrooVe IP? I don't get great results with GrooVe IP on my Google Play Nexus 4. Thanks.

darigaaz12

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Wifi calling is all I use at home and no one's ever complained, sounds good on my end too. When I use other apps like tango or Skype (just voice, no video) it's definitely not as clear.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Wifi calling is all I use at home and no one's ever complained, sounds good on my end too. When I use other apps like tango or Skype (just voice, no video) it's definitely not as clear.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

Which VOIP app -- Tmo native wifi calling feature on a Tmo-branded phone, or a 3rd party app like GrooVe IP on an unlocked phone? Also, did you have to adjust any of the settings like microphone volume or enable echo cancellation, or are the VOIP settings just default. Thanks.

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
ygu5a2u9.jpg
Which VOIP app -- Tmo native wifi calling feature on a Tmo-branded phone, or a 3rd party app like GrooVe IP on an unlocked phone? Also, did you have to adjust any of the settings like microphone volume or enable echo cancellation, or are the VOIP settings just default. Thanks.

Just make sure you have a wifi calling enabled phone. I. E s2,s3,s4,
Htc one.
Then simply enable wifi calling in your network settings.( I would assume in your wifi settings). Then make sure your phones wifi is connected.
You should see a wifi calling notification enabled at top of your screen when it is active

On the HTC One it is in this menu

vyqy2a9a.jpg

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

Last edited:

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Just make sure you have a wifi calling enabled phone.

I don't. I have a Google Play Nexus 4 on Tmo prepaid so I have to use a 3rd party app like GrooVe IP. From what members are posting it sounds the Tmo wifi calling enabled phones work really good for wifi calling. In the future, and especially if I want to get into Tmo's "Jump" program, it is good to know that Tmo wifi calling works well since Tmo cell signal in my house is really bad. Thanks.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm T-mobile prepaid with Google Play Nexus 4. I tried using GrooVe IP (paid version) for the past 10 days with really strong and fast wifi and it is just not that great. The people I am calling complain of echo and sound quality. I can hear them fine, but they have trouble hearing me. I've adjusted the settings, like trying "echo cancellation" and it doesn't help much. Correction, it helps with the echo, but people still complain they can't hear me very well. I'm interested in Tmobile's new "Jump" program, and since I don't get much of a Tmo cell signal in my home I would need to rely on wifi calling, but GrooVe IP doesn't really cut it. Do you think the native Tmo wifi calling feature on Tmo branded phones would have better voice quality than an app like Groove IP?

I don't use either one enough to make a good comparison, but I would say that the T-Mobile Wi-fi calling app may be a bit better. The problem that I had with the T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling app is that I like to use a Bluetooth device when I talk on my phone. The place that I like to sit when I talk on my phone is close to my Wi-fi router, so I had a lot of interference/noise from using BT and Wi-Fi calling at the same time. Since I have an excellent cellular signal at home, I haven't used the Wi-Fi calling app since then.

GrooVe IP has been fine for me over Wi-Fi. It wasn't that great over the cellular signal, but I was in an EDGE-only area at the time that I tried to use it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I love my default built in wifi calling... It is all I use at home since my house kills cell signal. It sounds great and I can call anywhere in my house.

I just use the defeat app (below) built into the phone.

Attachments

• 1375140849598.jpg
    1375140849598.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1375140855999.jpg
    1375140855999.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 31

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I don't use either one enough to make a good comparison, but I would say that the T-Mobile Wi-fi calling app may be a bit better. The problem that I had with the T-Mobile Wi-Fi calling app is that I like to use a Bluetooth device when I talk on my phone. The place that I like to sit when I talk on my phone is close to my Wi-fi router, so I had a lot of interference/noise from using BT and Wi-Fi calling at the same time. Since I have an excellent cellular signal at home, I haven't used the Wi-Fi calling app since then.

GrooVe IP has been fine for me over Wi-Fi. It wasn't that great over the cellular signal, but I was in an EDGE-only area at the time that I tried to use it.

Just using GrooVe IP today for wifi calling with adaptive echo canceler enabled (rather than basic) and seems to have improved the voice quality a lot for those listening to me. People still said it sounds a bit like I'm on speaker phone, but not so bad as to be bothersome to them. I'll experiment with volume and speaker levels and I think it will be fine. I am happy that I came across this thread because I had given up trying to wifi call with GrooVe IP. (I am not even going to bother trying over cellular data connection).

HawaiiD

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site

Do you have a dual channel router?

Sent from my Coconut Wireless HTC One

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc