"Sales"

flan

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone with inside knowledge know if T-Mobile is ever going to run a sale again? And by sale, I mean where you actually pay less for a device during a fixed period of time. Seems like all the recent "sales" have been instead of paying $100 down and $21/month, you pay $0 down and $25/month. You're not saving any money, just paying less up front. The payments are just being shuffled around.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Why would they? They have a good scam going

"Scam?" Lessee... You can buy any device compatible with their network, from whomever and wherever you want, and put it on their network for the cost of a SIM card (frequently $0 to $10). You can buy a phone thru them at 0% interest. And, when the phone is paid for, the payment for it goes away! Unlike other carriers, with whom you pay the subsidy forever. (Talk about a scam!) You can go pre-paid for lower amounts than any other U.S. carrier. You can go post-paid, and enjoy things like free tethering, as well as unlimited, free data roaming, and discounted voice roaming, in over 100 countries. All their data plans are unlimited. The less expensive ones have a 4G cap, rather than cutting you off or charging you exorbitant overage fees.

Not seeing the "scam," here. Please clarify?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Anyone with inside knowledge know if T-Mobile is ever going to run a sale again? And by sale, I mean where you actually pay less for a device during a fixed period of time. Seems like all the recent "sales" have been instead of paying $100 down and $21/month, you pay $0 down and $25/month. You're not saving any money, just paying less up front. The payments are just being shuffled around.

If you buy a phone thru T-Mobile, you are correct - you'll pay the full price if the phone one way or another by the end of the payment plan term. Each month you pay days charges plus $20 or $25 towards the phone.

The difference is that one the phone is paid off, your bill will drop by that $20-25. Every other carrier will just keep that extra cash as profit on their pockets.

And if you byod, you pay less every month from day 1. Every other carrier will soak you for the handset costs even if you didn't buy one from them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

flan

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
If you buy a phone thru T-Mobile, you are correct - you'll pay the full price if the phone one way or another by the end of the payment plan term. Each month you pay days charges plus $20 or $25 towards the phone.

The difference is that one the phone is paid off, your bill will drop by that $20-25. Every other carrier will just keep that extra cash as profit on their pockets.

And if you byod, you pay less every month from day 1. Every other carrier will soak you for the handset costs even if you didn't buy one from them.

I completely understand how their pricing model works and how it compares to the other carriers, but that's not what I'm asking about.

When I bought my GS3 a little over a year ago, they were running a sale. It was called the Magenta Deal Days sale. $0 down and under the original EIP arrangements, it was $20/month for 20 months (this was before they stretched the EIP from 20 months to 24 months). So my grand total for the phone was $0 + $20*20 = $400. Before the sale it would have been $150 down and the same $20/month for 20 months, for a grand total of $150 + $20*20 = $550. That's a real sale, because I wind up paying less in the end than I would have without the sale.

Today, they've got a sale listed on their web site. I'm specifically looking at the LG G2. Their sale consists of $0 down and $25/month for 24 months. That comes to $600. The price of this phone before this so-called sale was $100 down and $21/month for 24 months. That's $100 + $21*24 ~= $600. Same price. I'll grant that them financing a little more for you, and you not having to come up with any money out of pocket besides taxes is a benefit, but I wouldn't go so far as to label that a "sale". They haven't reduced the price of the device, they've only shifted around the payment schedule. I believe this is the second sale in a row they've advertised where they're not reducing the grand total price of the phone, but just moving around payments. The first was when/shortly after the iPhone 5c/s was released. Same deal. They reduced/removed the down payment, added to the EIP, and in the end, the total cost was the same.

My question is, do you think this is going to be the nature of their promotions going into the future? Where they don't really reduce the price of their devices, but just shuffle around the payment schedule. Is it worthwhile for me to wait for a promotion that may never happen? I'm considering selling my GS3 and buying a G2. If they're going to run some kind of sale for the holidays, I'd be better off waiting until that happens. If they're just going to shuffle around the payment schedule, then I can go now and get my new phone.

Last edited:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The 0 down is great if you have jump and upgrade every 6 months. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter as in the long run you will pay for the whole thing regardless

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Each person should do an analysis of the plans available to see what is the best for them. While it is generally true that unsubsidized is cheaper, it is not always the case. My situation is certainly in the minority, but I have 5 lines of service with 2 smartphones, one with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE, and 3 dumb phones on Verizon 550 minute family share plan and pay $140/mo total for 5 lines before taxes, fees, and discounts. The closest plan on T-Mobile's Unsubsidized option would be $130 per month before taxes, fees and discounts. T-Mobile does offer more than Verizon does, but on stuff that I don't need. Note that I am on a legacy plan, which is not available for new customers, however, you can assume liability of legacy plans, which may cost a bit up front, but may be worth it in the long run, depending on your usage. Just to do a comparison of what I use, T-Mobile costs $1,860 MORE than Verizon over 2 years.

Verizon
$3,360.00 =$140.00/mox24(Monthly Fee for 5 lines for 24 months)
$1,000.00 =$200.00X 5(Cost of Subsidized iPhones for 5 lines)
$150.00=$30.00X 5(Cost of Upgrade fee for 5 lines)

$4,510.00Verizon Total for 2 years with 5 phones

T-Mobile
$3,120.00 =$130.00/moX24(Monthly Fee for 5 lines for 24 months)
$3,250.00 =$650.00X5(Cost of Unsubsidized iPhones for 5 lines)

$6,370.00T-Mobile Total for 2 years with 5 phones

$1,860.00Total Savings by using Verizon Over T-Mobile

Also with subsidized, you can get better deals in phones if you buy at the right time. For example I bought the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 for $90 on contract on release day, which is $210 off. I got the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II for $37 back in February, which is $263 off. I got my iphone 5s for $50 (or $70 if you count the no contract phone cost that I used for trade in). With tmobile, correct me if I am wrong, but the most I have seen is $80 off of no contract retail price.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
True dpham but you always compare your unavailable rare plan to current ones.. And it just makes T-Mobile look worse.. When it isn't.. Since you can't get yours. Most people will probably see your post and believe they can get "cheaper" Verizon service with the same things (no overages) T-Mobile offers.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Each person should do an analysis of the plans available to see what is the best for them. While it is generally true that unsubsidized is cheaper, it is not always the case. My situation is certainly in the minority, but I have 5 lines of service with 2 smartphones, one with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE, and 3 dumb phones on Verizon 550 minute family share plan and pay $140/mo total for 5 lines before taxes, fees, and discounts. The closest plan on T-Mobile's Unsubsidized option would be $130 per month before taxes, fees and discounts. T-Mobile does offer more than Verizon does, but on stuff that I don't need. Note that I am on a legacy plan, which is not available for new customers, however, you can assume liability of legacy plans, which may cost a bit up front, but may be worth it in the long run, depending on your usage. Just to do a comparison of what I use, T-Mobile costs $1,860 MORE than Verizon over 2 years.

Verizon
$3,360.00 =$140.00/mox24(Monthly Fee for 5 lines for 24 months)
$1,000.00 =$200.00X 5(Cost of Subsidized iPhones for 5 lines)
$150.00=$30.00X 5(Cost of Upgrade fee for 5 lines)

$4,510.00Verizon Total for 2 years with 5 phones

T-Mobile
$3,120.00 =$130.00/moX24(Monthly Fee for 5 lines for 24 months)
$3,250.00 =$650.00X5(Cost of Unsubsidized iPhones for 5 lines)

$6,370.00T-Mobile Total for 2 years with 5 phones

$1,860.00Total Savings by using Verizon Over T-Mobile
"minority" is an understatement, your plan is not available for ALL new customers, shall we agree with that? Therefore your situation has ZERO value for a person who are about to jump in. The simple fact is those new buyers will have to pony up $1000 (phone)+$240*24 (cheapest plan with only 500mb shared data among 5 devices)=$6760. $400 more expensive than T-mobile, further more, down the road, if they were to keep the phone, they save 100*12=$1200 every year.

Also, when you claim you can get five iphone at $200 a piece, you are essentially updating all your lines, tell us the process you go through to keep your plan when doing these update please.

Again, also, if you "don't need" this or that, why buy 5 iphone in the first place?

VZW is the biggest rip off there is, to pretend its not, it simply misleading people.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
When u have the largest, fastest, most reliable network you pretty much can do what you want. Vzw numbers and dollar signs keep Rising every quarter. I tried T-Mobile fell for the hype, now I'm stuck for 2 years with a phone that is useless because there network is a abomination. And it's not cheap my single line with 500min and so called unlimited data runs $90 a month oh yeah free tethering only 500mb what a joke, data roaming good luck. No thanks Vzw still the best
"minority" is an understatement, your plan is not available for ALL new customers, shall we agree with that? Therefore your situation has ZERO value for a person who are about to jump in. The simple fact is those new buyers will have to pony up $1000 (phone)+$240*24 (cheapest plan with only 500mb shared data among 5 devices)=$6760. $400 more expensive than T-mobile, further more, down the road, if they were to keep the phone, they save 100*12=$1200 every year.

Also, when you claim you can get five iphone at $200 a piece, you are essentially updating all your lines, tell us the process you go through to keep your plan when doing these update please.

Again, also, if you "don't need" this or that, why buy 5 iphone in the first place?

VZW is the biggest rip off there is, to pretend its not, it simply misleading people.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
When u have the largest, fastest, most reliable network you pretty much can do what you want. Vzw numbers and dollar signs keep Rising every quarter. I tried T-Mobile fell for the hype, now I'm stuck for 2 years with a phone that is useless because there network is a abomination. And it's not cheap my single line with 500min and so called unlimited data runs $90 a month oh yeah free tethering only 500mb what a joke, data roaming good luck. No thanks Vzw still the best

last time I checked, TMo has no contract, and you are free to sell your abomination phone and revert back to the rip off VZW. And there is no $90 a month plan on Tmo websites.

You failed to do the homework on the coverage before jumping in, and thats TMo's fault, how? There is no "bullet proof" technology if you don't research first.

btw, VZW's is FAR from "fastest", it's LTE is the same speed as HSPA on TMo and ATT.

And "largest" means next to nothing for most people who don't travel all the time.

supert1020

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I just checked and T-Mobile has a sweet sale on the HTC ONE refurbished only $384 full price 0 down $16 for 24 months that is a sweet deal I would take advantage of it.

Posted via Android Central App

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Sorry but if I cancel my T-Mobile account I have to pay the early termination fee. I did check and read reviews, but it seems no one leaves the inner city. And FYI I bought my phone when T-Mobile still did contracts last spring.
last time I checked, TMo has no contract, and you are free to sell your abomination phone and revert back to the rip off VZW. And there is no $90 a month plan on Tmo websites.

You failed to do the homework on the coverage before jumping in, and thats TMo's fault, how? There is no "bullet proof" technology if you don't research first.

btw, VZW's is FAR from "fastest", it's LTE is the same speed as HSPA on TMo and ATT.

And "largest" means next to nothing for most people who don't travel all the time.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

It is available for new customers who assume liability of an existing line. I used the iPhone just as an example. I buy phones probably more frequently than most. The only tricky part is with the unlimited line which I have to transfer the upgrade to one of my other lines, which is pretty simple to do online. Other than that, I can walk into a Verizon store and upgrade on my other 4 lines. Note that the iPhones are for my wife. All phones bought on contract. Yes, I am usually always on contract on my lines

April 2011 Thunderbolt
Oct 2011 4s
Nov 2011 rezound
July 2012 s3
Feb 2013 Note II
November 2013 Note 3 and 5s

ripoff or not depends on your needs. Verizon is substantially cheaper for my uses and provides service where I need it. At my work, both att and tmobile has some dead areas with no signal. Just the other day a coworker with att said that they had no signal. I was standing next to them and had 4 bars. I have had coworker with tmobile complain of no signal as well. Even if I had to pay more for verizon, for me, having a signal where I need it and more importantly in cases of emergency is worth it's weight in gold. My Verizon note 3 can use att tmobile or Sprint towers in case of emergency. A Tmobile or ATT note 3 won't be able to use Verizon or Sprint in case of emergency.

But as I said above, it depends on your needs and priorities. Despite my co-workers signal issues, they won't switch to Verizon.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Fastest? Please add a * and say depending on area. Look at major areas... They admitted it's messed up right now.

Also in Jacksonville my T-Mobile beats Verizon anywhere around town. Coverage is the one thing you can claim with most certainty for Verizon but they are not always the fastest.

Also so called unlimited data? It is unlimited for T-Mobile.. No caps or anything. It sucks you're on a 500 minute plan but I pay $70 after taxes for unlimited everything. Tethering is now 2.5 GB for the plan.. Can always root to tether unlimited for free... Yeah..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is available for new customers who assume liability of an existing line. I used the iPhone just as an example. I buy phones probably more frequently than most. The only tricky part is with the unlimited line which I have to transfer the upgrade to one of my other lines, which is pretty simple to do online. Other than that, I can walk into a Verizon store and upgrade on my other 4 lines. Note that the iPhones are for my wife. All phones bought on contract. Yes, I am usually always on contract on my lines

April 2011 Thunderbolt
Oct 2011 4s
Nov 2011 rezound
July 2012 s3
Feb 2013 Note II
November 2013 Note 3 and 5s

ripoff or not depends on your needs. Verizon is substantially cheaper for my uses and provides service where I need it. At my work, both att and tmobile has some dead areas with no signal. Just the other day a coworker with att said that they had no signal. I was standing next to them and had 4 bars. I have had coworker with tmobile complain of no signal as well. Even if I had to pay more for verizon, for me, having a signal where I need it and more importantly in cases of emergency is worth it's weight in gold. My Verizon note 3 can use att tmobile or Sprint towers in case of emergency. A Tmobile or ATT note 3 won't be able to use Verizon or Sprint in case of emergency.

But as I said above, it depends on your needs and priorities. Despite my co-workers signal issues, they won't switch to Verizon.

Assume liability though means new number. Not everyone wants or could even get a new number because they may have alot of people who have their current number.. So once again it's in the minority versus say getting AT&T or T-Mobile service.. Which anyone can do.. By keeping their number and getting existing plans. So that's more realistic for most people...

Comparing your super rare plan to T-Mobile showing how it's cheaper isn't even a fair comparison for majority of people since majority will grab the plans available today.. When they walk in.

Last edited:

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Just left T-Mobile phone under contract till Feb 2015. To cancel it'll cost me $200. Can't go any lower on my price $80 the cheapest they have on legacy plan.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Verizon cost for me with my usage on plans all available today for anyone and everyone. Same for T-Mobile.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Verizon

Phone - 299 (Note 3)
Service - Unlimited talk, text, and 30 GB of data - $265 a month before taxes. 265*24=6,360.

So 2 years for Verizon costs $6,659.

----------------------------------------------------------------

T-Mobile

Phone - $703 (Note 3)
Service - Unlimited talk, text, and data - $70 a month (after taxes for me due to a small discount but let's just say for this case that's before taxes like most consumers)...... 2 years T-Mobile service is 70*24=1,680.

So 2 years with T-Mobile costs $2,383.